Geelong Floppers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Geelong Floppers

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Geez Collingwood has made a few Grand Finals with some crap sides.

Their weapon was mad forward pressure that got them to GF favoritism in 2011 and a willingness to play for Micky Mouse..

Then they ran into a crack side that turned up to win a GF every second year.

This side was Bomber Thompson's outfit carrying on his legacy that coached themselves.

Scott luckily got the last bit of effort from them after they were pissed at missing 2010.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Their position is inflated by their soft kill home games at Krapdinia Park - StKilda, GCS, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Freo, Nth Melb, Sydney etc.

Then their home ground gives them advantages over higher rated interstate opposition such as the Eagles, Gee Whiz and also the likes of the Doggies who would be capable of beating them on the MCG at their best

They are a good side but they are no longer a top 2 side.

Their line up is ageing, the cliff is coming they are sandbagging in the vain hope of stealing one last flag.

I tend to agree, just can't see them going anywhere but down given the loss of Kelly and the ageing list.

But Geelong have been able to make PFs for many years so you just can't write them off. The weird home ground is a big advantage which they lose in finals, a bit of a double edged sword really.

I also can't see them getting further than a PF as they are a very good side (that first half in the PF proved that, but we went up a gear and they couldn't go with us) but not really good enough to go all the way without a few more good players. Their bottom 6 aren't very good.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I tend to agree, just can't see them going anywhere but down given the loss of Kelly and the ageing list.

But Geelong have been able to make PFs for many years so you just can't write them off. The weird home ground is a big advantage which they lose in finals, a bit of a double edged sword really.

I also can't see them getting further than a PF as they are a very good side (that first half in the PF proved that, but we went up a gear and they couldn't go with us) but not really good enough to go all the way without a few more good players. Their bottom 6 aren't very good.

DS
Yeah, they’re a side just kind of hanging on, and they’d sink like a stone without their home ground advantage.

Reactions: 1 user

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Geez Collingwood has made a few Grand Finals with some crap sides.

Their weapon was mad forward pressure that got them to GF favoritism in 2011 and a willingness to play for Micky Mouse..

Then they ran into a crack side that turned up to win a GF every second year.

This side was Bomber Thompson's outfit carrying on his legacy that coached themselves.

Scott luckily got the last bit of effort from them after they were pissed at missing 2010.
You're not wrong, some of the names in that Pies team are horrible footballers.
The losing 02 and 03 sides were just as awful.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
True, yet we’re the only team in history to have beaten up on two substandard teams in the GF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
If Miers has half a brain, he will he fine and will be a good player. Surely will learn from the prelim flop.

And I wouldn't be writing them off next year either, they finished top of the ladder in the regular season because they are a good team.
They'll have to play like the 1st half of last yr to contend again, the WLWLWL.... of the 2nd half ain't gonna cut it.
They have some older players that are going 1 yr too long it seems. They also had a dream injury run which thier delusional fans always talk about re: us.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I doubt they’ll progress to where they want to be until they get rid of Salty.
IMO thier shithole ground is thier biggest issue, only 2 Marvel teams in history have won the Flag in around 20 yrs btw....
They want less MCG games so they are becoming like the Marvel teams. They have the biggest home ground advantage of all Vic teams & get found out on the big boys ground when it matters.
This coupled with the fact they always focus on our fixture & not being able to play on thier ground in Finals & it's easy to see why they choke when the heat is on every yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Bit of credit to Malthouse getting them to a GF.
Certainly knew how to get the best out of his players.
Also shows how *smile* Carltoon are, even he couldn’t get to them up and about.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Good article on the Mongrel Punt about Dangerfield going missing when it counts.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Lake was acquired via trade, not as a free agent.
When i said no research it was in relation to me. Surely we aren't then the world leaders in free trade as well!

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Good article on the Mongrel Punt about Dangerfield going missing when it counts.

Fine article from the Mongrel, shows Dangerflog in a perspective that most spruikers daren't consider or comprehend.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
IMO thier shithole ground is thier biggest issue, only 2 Marvel teams in history have won the Flag in around 20 yrs btw....
They want less MCG games so they are becoming like the Marvel teams. They have the biggest home ground advantage of all Vic teams & get found out on the big boys ground when it matters.
This coupled with the fact they always focus on our fixture & not being able to play on thier ground in Finals & it's easy to see why they choke when the heat is on every yr.
I think it's safe to say they are the only team in the AFL who request less games at the G.

Interstate clubs definitely want to play at the G when they're in VIC, as that's where finals, in particular the GF, are played (do you understand that concept Geelong?). Marvel tenants want big games at the G, although the care factor of Marvel tenants is pretty low.

Geelong will continue to make finals by beating up minnows on their runway and earning enough pts/%.

More games at the G means better chance of winning finals there. Geelong are seriously taking the urine, and their supporters should be filthy.