Gilbert McAdam

E

easy_tiger

I really like what Gilly brings to the boundry line.

He's extremely unpretentious and he makes his interviewees feel very comfortable.

Notice how relaxed Dusty was being interviewed?

Notice the insightful and relevant question he asked Sydney Stack (is it tricky, a noongar man dancing a Wiradgeri dance?)

I really like what he brings.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
I dig him too, Easy.

The man is so damn likeable. Knows his stuff too, don’t worry about that.

I think he’s a wonderful, authentic antidote to the likes of Brian Taylor.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
It is refreshing to hear someone who isn't trying to fabricate enthusiasm or massage an ego.

Just talks about the game and gets on with the job.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I think he is bloody fantastic. I would like him to do regular stints as a boundary rider.

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
I love Gil. He's the star of the Marn Grook show.

(He could play, back in the day. I went to the 1991 semi at VFL Park between Geelong and St Kilda. I remember 4 things: Lockett kicking 9 despite Barry Stoneham doing a pretty fair job, Brownless kicking 8, Ablett knocking out Burke with a brutal shirtfront and getting a suspension that I reckon cost Geelong the flag, and a brilliantly evasive run and goal from Gil McAdam.)

More of him. He's not always the most eloquent, but none of them are, and as you say Baz, he's an authentic palate-cleanser after the hyperbolic bile of Taylor or saccharine **** of McAvaney.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Years back when I was in primary school I played Superman in the school Christmas play.
It was so terrible and out of place that everyone loved it.

I was Gilbert McAdam that night.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Saw him destroy us at the Gabba in the mid 90s. He was inconsistent for the bears generally but he had the ball on a string that day.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He's likable but sorry, interviewing isnt his forte and he makes Dipper sound like an English professor.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
se7en said:
Years back when I was in primary school I played Superman in the school Christmas play.
It was so terrible and out of place that everyone loved it.

I was Gilbert McAdam that night.
What a weird, unnecessary story.

The Big Richo

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
tigertim said:
He's likable but sorry, interviewing isnt his forte and he makes Dipper sound like an English professor.
x2.

Needs to do the basics. He was boundary riding and yet it was 25 minutes before they mentioned Tom Lynch had not returned after 3/4 time.

Also starting every interview with 'first of all, thanks for your time' is just annoying.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
I find pat talk-by-numbers slickness dull myself.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rather listen to a raw Gilly than the media trained cliche regurgitating "professionals"

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Harry said:
Rather listen to a raw Gilly than the media trained cliche regurgitating "professionals"
Yeh, Gilly was brilliant on mangrook, will improve his method with a bit more experience, but hope he doesn't lose his spontaneity and sense of humour on commercial TV.

He is working with a bunch of dull bozos though like Darcy & Ling.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Harry said:
Spot on. About time the networks put in a bloke that breaks the stereotype commentator.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
We’ve all witnessed his mischevious sense of humour on Marngrook.

He’s a breath of fresh air,no pretensions,Gilbert’s authentic and that’s his appeal,you can sense the players are at ease with him.His opening “...thanks for your time brother...”brilliant.

No smart-arse “Gotcha”moments that the wannabe Journos delight in,just friendly discourse between two Footballers.

And he’ll get better,good on ya Gilbert.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
I don't doubt for a second he's a really nice guy, and very well liked. That comes across. And he was a really gifted footballer, again no doubt. At the same time, and for the all the...'breath of fresh air" type comments, and for all the understandable 'politically correct' sensitivity involved, he's the worst football commentator I've ever seen. He just has no idea, and his naivete is not somehow an asset.

Just as a recent example. Again and again, when he was cut to during the Dreamtime, for all his speaking time, he added virtually nothing in terms of insight into the game, the history, or whatever. Just the same meaningless remarks, repeated. And later, during his 'big' post-game moment he inteviews Heppell say, and STARTS by asking about the crowd number, gives the wrong figure anyway. Now of all details Heppell may be able to comment on, WHY THAT? It's just 'an opener', you say? Well alright, but it never got any better - ther rest was absolute kindergarten level AFL questioning. He elicits SO little, it's embarrassing. I don't know if he actually did this, but he might as well be there on the boundary line, water everywhere for like hours, they cut to him, and he starts out with: "well it's raining". Same deal. He has never been any better on the Margrook show, either. Same deal.

He does try. Have to give him that. And it is endearing in a way. But ulimately, it is tokenism.

As I said I do like him. But not in this gig.

Mac

Tiger Superstar
Sep 16, 2003
Baron Samedi said:
What a weird, unnecessary story.
yeah, but weird and unecessary is the way se7en rolls!

(really want him to go back to his insipid tiger 'roaring' avatar btw. Suits him better. He's standing and walking....just like Rory Calhoun)