Gilbert McAdam

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree,Rabbia.

I’m over the smart-arse BT,the wooden Darcy/Ling,the condescending Dermie and the inane McAnaney.

Notwithstanding,his diminished Literary skills,I hope Gilbert continues to get a Gig.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Rabbia said:
... for all his speaking time, he added virtually nothing in terms of insight into the game, the history, or whatever. Just the same meaningless remarks, repeated. ... Well alright, but it never got any better - ther rest was absolute kindergarten level AFL questioning. He elicits SO little, it's embarrassing.
Are you talking about Brian Taylor or Luke 'say that again' Darcy?

E

easy_tiger

Rabbia said:
It means what it says Easy.
oh c'mon.

all, the understandable, 'politically correct', sensitivity, involved?

my best interpretation would be

all 1 black man are OK commentators but giving a black man a job is pretending to be politically correct and everyone loves pretending to be politically correct, which makes it sensitive?

I honestly dont mind one bit that you reckon Gilly's is the worst commentator you've ever heard.

I can't stand BT for example, because he is a narcissistic, insensitive, sensationalist bully who spills a stream of repetitive, hyperbolic sh!t out of his mouth.

Gilly, to me, presents as the opposite of BT.

and no, we dont ignore that he's black. I would suggest his black cultural capital in this instance makes him the opposite of BT.

and so I hope you can see that your attempt to marginalise my opinion with the one size fits all, except it doesn't fit all, cause you put quotation marks around it, 'political correctness', is inadequate.

cheers, and welcome to PRE. ;D

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Brimmy said:
I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree,Rabbia.

I’m over the smart-arse BT,the wooden Darcy/Ling,the condescending Dermie and the inane McAnaney.

Notwithstanding,his diminished Literary skills,I hope Gilbert continues to get a Gig.
Oh look fair enough. And I tend to agree, to a degree on every assessment you make on those other commentators. It's just that, for mine, even given that, at least AT TIMES you learn something, from those others. They can be informative.

With Gilbert, believe me I understand that given his background etcetera, his language, his personality, is not going to be the cookie cutter type. But in all that he clearly does struggle to come up with something worth saying/hearing. You can almost hear a sigh of relief, if he comes out with anything near that. A ten year old might make more incisive comments, ask more perceptive questions.

He's more relaxed on Marngrook, which I watch sometimes. That show does merit more leeway/support than others at this point, given the racial history in this country. They have to start somewhere, find their feet, etcetera, also. But even there he's just not good at what he does, IMO.

But if you like him well yeah fair enough, as I said. Each to their own, for sure. And if Gilbert makes a decent buck out of it all, good luck to him. At a certain level, it's not that important either - it's just a game, comments on a game. But I do not like manipulative media, and I think the public are being taken for suckers on this one, which occurs all too often.

willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Broken Hill
Brimmy said:
We’ve all witnessed his mischevious sense of humour on Marngrook.

He’s a breath of fresh air,no pretensions,Gilbert’s authentic and that’s his appeal,you can sense the players are at ease with him.His opening “...thanks for your time brother...”brilliant.

No smart-arse “Gotcha”moments that the wannabe Journos delight in,just friendly discourse between two Footballers.

And he’ll get better,good on ya Gilbert.
Well said Brimmy. I've always loved Gilly. Yeah he needs a bit of polish, but early days yet.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Rabbis,I don’t think Gilbert’s appointment is an attempt at Political Correctness or Tokenism,as you seem to imply.

Somebody with a brain has asked the question,Why don’t we get somebody that actually can relate to the players they are asked to interview.

Think they’ve nailed it.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
easy said:
oh c'mon.

all, the understandable, 'politically correct', sensitivity, involved?

my best interpretation would be

all 1 black man are OK commentators but giving a black man a job is pretending to be politically correct and everyone loves pretending to be politically correct, which makes it sensitive?

I honestly dont mind one bit that you reckon Gilly's is the worst commentator you've ever heard.

I can't stand BT for example, because he is a narcissistic, insensitive, sensationalist bully who spills a stream of repetitive, hyperbolic sh!t out of his mouth.

Gilly, to me, presents as the opposite of BT.

and no, we dont ignore that he's black. I would suggest his black cultural capital in this instance makes him the opposite of BT.

and so I hope you can see that your attempt to marginalise my opinion with the one size fits all, except it doesn't fit all, cause you put quotation marks around it, 'political correctness', is inadequate.

cheers, and welcome to PRE. ;D
Oh well I've been here quite a while Easy. I just haven't seen fit to comment very often - have just read. But thank you for the belated welcome, seriously.

Look of course I knew, posting on this one, I'd 'open up the gates' (now what does that mean, eh?). I'd even noted your comments above, a day or so ago, among others. And I say again, just as you say, in turn, if you like him fine, but I cannot for the life of me see how/why.

So let's see, in order:

- I think it's very obvious, what I was referring to, which is absolutely nothing like your best interpretation up there. Political correctness can be very dangerous/damaging. Given the nature of the forum I'm not going into detail on the subject here, but just google articles on this line and see what you think. The parentheses there were for emphasis. Look reading over again, I'm not sure what you are saying there, tbh. How do you get to "everyone loves being politically correct" from my remark there, for example? I don't think anyone likes being politically correct, although they are forced to quite often. Obviously it's sensitive, also. So I mean it's BOTH things. Anyway I think it's best for me to say again, what you say is not what I said.

- I'm not sure how being black would make Gil the opposite of BT, of necessity. You mean a black guy can't be narcissistic, insensitive, sensationalist...and so on, all due to "black cultural capital"? Good lord, I don't think so.

I wasn't making "an attempt" to marginalise anything Easy. And the rest of your line there makes no sense to me at all really - it's very circular. I was just stating what I do believe to be pretty clear. I'm not interested to take shots at people here, I just could not be tossed.

So anyway, buona giornata, am done on this one.

-

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Brimmy said:
Rabbis,I don’t think Gilbert’s appointment is an attempt at Political Correctness or Tokenism,as you seem to imply.

Somebody with a brain has asked the question,Why don’t we get somebody that actually can relate to the players they are asked to interview.

Think they’ve nailed it.
Damn more.

No Brimmy I wasn't implying that at all. The 'political correctness', the sensitivity I referred to, relates to being able to COMMENT on his ability as a commentator.

Relate to players? That's not what I see. I see the players, the other commentators, standing there, wanting it all to go well sure, but while they are being asked next to nothing and next to nothing being said.

And it's so bad in these respects, I can't conclude other than it is tokenism. I'm rapt if we have an indigenous commentator, but ffs he/she still has to be decent at the job ITSELF. I'm not implying that, to be clear. I'm stating it.

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Rabbia said:
Oh look fair enough. And I tend to agree, to a degree on every assessment you make on those other commentators. It's just that, for mine, even given that, at least AT TIMES you learn something, from those others. They can be informative.
You lost me there. Darcy & Ling informative? BT is simply loud. Surprised you get anything from his mispronounced, mis-named rantings.

E

easy_tiger

Rabbia said:
Oh well I've been here quite a while Easy. I just haven't seen fit to comment very often - have just read. But thank you for the belated welcome, seriously.

Look of course I knew, posting on this one, I'd 'open up the gates' (now what does that mean, eh?). I'd even noted your comments above, a day or so ago, among others. And I say again, just as you say, in turn, if you like him fine, but I cannot for the life of me see how/why.

So let's see, in order:

- I think it's very obvious, what I was referring to, which is absolutely nothing like your best interpretation up there. Political correctness can be very dangerous/damaging. Given the nature of the forum I'm not going into detail on the subject here, but just google articles on this line and see what you think. The parentheses there were for emphasis. Look reading over again, I'm not sure what you are saying there, tbh. How do you get to "everyone loves being politically correct" from my remark there, for example? I don't think anyone likes being politically correct, although they are forced to quite often. Obviously it's sensitive, also. So I mean it's BOTH things. Anyway I think it's best for me to say again, what you say is not what I said.

- I'm not sure how being black would make Gil the opposite of BT, of necessity. You mean a black guy can't be narcissistic, insensitive, sensationalist...and so on, all due to "black cultural capital"? Good lord, I don't think so.

I wasn't making "an attempt" to marginalise anything Easy. And the rest of your line there makes no sense to me at all really - it's very circular. I was just stating what I do believe to be pretty clear. I'm not interested to take shots at people here, I just could not be tossed.

So anyway, buona giornata, am done on this one.

-
Ok. we don't really understand each other, which is fine.

Im sure we share a love of Richmond.

FWIW, I really liked Daisy Pearce too.

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
Gil is far from a polished speaker and does stumble a bit. If they want a blackfella who speaks well, Andy Krakouer would be worth a call. He's been hugely impressive over the past week.

E

easy_tiger

spook said:
Gil is far from a polished speaker and does stumble a bit. If they want a blackfella who speaks well, Andy Krakouer would be worth a call. He's been hugely impressive over the past week.
good article with Krak last week.

Apparently his WAFL GF after he got out of the bighouse

was statistically the GOAT?

His description of Coniglios game was pretty amazing too

*Cameron Ling needs subtitles.

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
easy said:
good article with Krak last week.

Apparently his WAFL GF after he got out of the bighouse

was statistically the GOAT?

His description of Coniglios game was pretty amazing too

*Cameron Ling needs subtitles.
42 disposals, 4 goals, 260-odd Supercoach points.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
The commentators spent 20 minutes talking about how wet and slippery it is, the Gilly pipes up and says how slippery and wet it is :hihi

Bit of captain obvious about him, but I like him.

The Big Richo

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Rabbia said:
I don't doubt for a second he's a really nice guy, and very well liked. That comes across. And he was a really gifted footballer, again no doubt. At the same time, and for the all the...'breath of fresh air" type comments, and for all the understandable 'politically correct' sensitivity involved, he's the worst football commentator I've ever seen. He just has no idea, and his naivete is not somehow an asset.

Just as a recent example. Again and again, when he was cut to during the Dreamtime, for all his speaking time, he added virtually nothing in terms of insight into the game, the history, or whatever. Just the same meaningless remarks, repeated. And later, during his 'big' post-game moment he inteviews Heppell say, and STARTS by asking about the crowd number, gives the wrong figure anyway. Now of all details Heppell may be able to comment on, WHY THAT? It's just 'an opener', you say? Well alright, but it never got any better - ther rest was absolute kindergarten level AFL questioning. He elicits SO little, it's embarrassing. I don't know if he actually did this, but he might as well be there on the boundary line, water everywhere for like hours, they cut to him, and he starts out with: "well it's raining". Same deal. He has never been any better on the Margrook show, either. Same deal.

He does try. Have to give him that. And it is endearing in a way. But ulimately, it is tokenism.

As I said I do like him. But not in this gig.
Absolutely sums up what I think as well.

The other thing was he didn't execute the key function of a boundary rider, which is to connect viewers to the bench. It was 25 minutes into the quarter before they mentioned Lynch not being on and that was done by the commentary box.

What usually happens when there is a hint of injury is the boundary rider or a producer will talk with a connection on the bench and get some info. Cameron Ling is the best at it, he will approach you before the game, introduce himself and remember your name later, Richo does it very well as well.

I'm reliably informed Lynch was riding the bike on the bench at 3/4 time which the TV would normally be all over.

They showed McAdam on the sidelines and he was sitting with an experienced producer so i can't imagine they missed it.

Only explanation I can think of is he either didn't offer it or they chose not to go to him to report it. Either way it was very strange.