Gilbert McAdam

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
spook said:
Gil is far from a polished speaker and does stumble a bit. If they want a blackfella who speaks well, Andy Krakouer would be worth a call. He's been hugely impressive over the past week.
I think this is Rabbia’s point, “if they want a blackfella”. If this is a criteria for a job then it is tokenism.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
easy said:
Ok. we don't really understand each other, which is fine.

Im sure we share a love of Richmond.

FWIW, I really liked Daisy Pearce too.
No worries Easy, and we were in total agreement on Stack, so...

And YES Daisy was/is very good, I thought also. I mean there she'd be, and it sort of blew you away a bit, they'd cut to her and every interview, every boundary comment, she'd come pouring out with relevant, obviously informed questions, right-to-the-point from the boundary style commentary/updates, really crisp, quick stuff. Coming from this sweet looking young woman, it was quite notable., even more so if say she was standing there with Richo towering over her. A ton of energy there, also.

spook

It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue.
Jun 18, 2007
The Big Richo said:
Absolutely sums up what I think as well.

The other thing was he didn't execute the key function of a boundary rider, which is to connect viewers to the bench. It was 25 minutes into the quarter before they mentioned Lynch not being on and that was done by the commentary box.

What usually happens when there is a hint of injury is the boundary rider or a producer will talk with a connection on the bench and get some info. Cameron Ling is the best at it, he will approach you before the game, introduce himself and remember your name later, Richo does it very well as well.

I'm reliably informed Lynch was riding the bike on the bench at 3/4 time which the TV would normally be all over.

They showed McAdam on the sidelines and he was sitting with an experienced producer so i can't imagine they missed it.

Only explanation I can think of is he either didn't offer it or they chose not to go to him to report it. Either way it was very strange.
The geniuses who covered our GWS game neglected to mention Cotchin was off for even longer.

Giardiasis said:
I think this is Rabbia’s point, “if they want a blackfella”. If this is a criteria for a job then it is tokenism.
Who said it's a criteria for the job? I don't know if it is or not. Besides, one man's tokenism is another's representation.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Rabbia said:
No worries Easy, and we were in total agreement on Stack, so...

And YES Daisy was/is very good, I thought also. I mean there she'd be, and it sort of blew you away a bit, they'd cut to her and every interview, every boundary comment, she'd come pouring out with relevant, obviously informed questions, right-to-the-point from the boundary style commentary/updates, really crisp, quick stuff. Coming from this sweet looking young woman, it was quite notable., even more so if say she was standing there with Richo towering over her. A ton of energy there, also.
Daisy was good, but do we really want crisp, quick all the time? Not me. I reckon you're wrong on both fronts, firstly Gilbert is insightful, just have to disagree on that. Secondly his idiosyncratic interview style is good, the players love it, hey always say the same short, obvious reply anyway so I'm struggling to see what is so good about the standard crisp talking head. I think they like an off beat meandering question that keeps it light and takes any heat off. I like it anyway.

His meandering questions on MG are bloody hilarious, "I tell youse what...

Filthy Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 10, 2014
The Big Richo said:
Absolutely sums up what I think as well.

The other thing was he didn't execute the key function of a boundary rider, which is to connect viewers to the bench. It was 25 minutes into the quarter before they mentioned Lynch not being on and that was done by the commentary box.

What usually happens when there is a hint of injury is the boundary rider or a producer will talk with a connection on the bench and get some info. Cameron Ling is the best at it, he will approach you before the game, introduce himself and remember your name later, Richo does it very well as well.

I'm reliably informed Lynch was riding the bike on the bench at 3/4 time which the TV would normally be all over.

They showed McAdam on the sidelines and he was sitting with an experienced producer so i can't imagine they missed it.

Only explanation I can think of is he either didn't offer it or they chose not to go to him to report it. Either way it was very strange.
I thought this would be the general consensus.

Nothing against the bloke, but he makes me cringe when ever he does make a comment during the game - just never seems to add anything to the telecast.

Someone like a Michael O'Loughlin would be a better fit from what I've seen of his TV appearances.

ToraToraTora

Piccadilly anyone?
Mar 21, 2005
Yokohama, Japan
I lived abroad for a long time and could barely understand wtf was going on. I come home, turn on the footy and I still don't understand wtf is going on.

amc11

Tiger Cub
Dec 7, 2018
Tigers of Old said:
He's hopeless as boundary rider.
That's because boundary rider is not an ideal fit for Gilly, he needs more freedom than the boundary rider position affords. I love watching Gilly on Marngrook and that show allows far more of his natural personality and humour to be expressed. I think he loves Dusty and seemed so happy he got to interview him two weeks in a row.

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
Punt Road
amc11 said:
That's because boundary rider is not an ideal fit for Gilly, he needs more freedom than the boundary rider position affords. I love watching Gilly on Marngrook and that show allows far more of his natural personality and humour to be expressed. I think he loves Dusty and seemed so happy he got to interview him two weeks in a row.
Don't disagree with any of that but he's terrible where he is.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Channel 7 seem to use the boundary rider as an apprenticeship before moving up to the commentary box.
Which is odd because its a different skillset and focus.

And Gilbert has developed on the Marngrook, then been thrown onto the boundary rider. Like taking a high leaping full forward and playing off half back flank

LeeToRainesToRoach

Get out Gillon
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Rabbia said:
Look of course I knew, posting on this one, I'd 'open up the gates'
Stick to your guns, it's not wrong to have an opinion.

Haven't seen enough of Gilbert to form an opinion on his competence or otherwise, however his recent introduction appears to be linked to his role in the Goodes documentary. I will comment in due course.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Stick to your guns, it's not wrong to have an opinion.
very true, although it's healthy to offer one's opinion with the awareness that it may well be wrong.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
easy said:
very true, although it's healthy to offer one's opinion with the awareness that it may well be wrong.
Sometimes it is difficult when posters don't use the 'sarcasm alert' emoji