Gill’s legacy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gill’s legacy

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Gilligan's legacy keeps on growing - the lowest rating GF in history - this flog just keeps on giving on the way out the door. Certainly worth the millions he's getting paid.
It's embarrassing for sure - and more so if the Rugby League number beats us.

I thought I caught a clip somewhere (via here maybe) of Gill predicting it would be the biggest ever rating GF - based on the Sydney audience, Geelong blah blah blah

Wonder what the figures were over the duration of the game?
Small sample size - but at my place there were 2 viewers at the start - but none after Qtr time.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
For so many years Ghoul McLachlan's frequent failures were Steve Hocking's fault. Steve Hocking was successful yesterday.

Who was responsible for the lowest rating GF in a thousand years?

Is it Ghoul's fault yet?

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
It's embarrassing for sure - and more so if the Rugby League number beats us.

I thought I caught a clip somewhere (via here maybe) of Gill predicting it would be the biggest ever rating GF - based on the Sydney audience, Geelong blah blah blah

Wonder what the figures were over the duration of the game?
Small sample size - but at my place there were 2 viewers at the start - but none after Qtr time.
Yep, as with you Tenacious, the telly was switched off at quarter time in my residence.
The game had already proved too boring ... and predictable.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
People flog themselves off about the 1989 GF. Hawthorn were up by 8 goals. And
Had 1 bloke with broken ribs, 1 with a punched lung and there best player off with Concussion.
Geelong didn't deserve that flag.
The best flag I've seen is 2018 flag
Collingwood up by 5 goals against a team with a terrible record at the MCG and Collingwood still find a way to lose and for 5 yrs all I have heard if the runner didn't get in the way and Maynard was blocked.
If Masten & Kennedy kicked straight and Darling didn't drop the mark they wouldve won by 5 goals.
I laughed for a week. That's the best GF ever.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
They were hard on him on ABC yesterday. Made the point that on every racism issue he's failed.

Goodes, Adelaide camp, Eddie McGuire. Not a good formline. Good at acting contrite but hasn't got a clue, all talk no action.

Reactions: 2 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
They were hard on him on ABC yesterday. Made the point that on every racism issue he's failed.

Goodes, Adelaide camp, Eddie McGuire. Not a good formline. Good at acting contrite but hasn't got a clue, all talk no action.
yeah, but, er, Indigenous Round. all good

Wipe Off Get Up GIF by Better Call Saul

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Was that on Outsiders?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Add gambling to that list.

Great article and the best quote which I will use below

“All 10 Victorian AFL clubs have signed with the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation and its Love the Game program.

Through this program, they pledge to keep their clubs free of sports betting sponsorships.

Grassroots stakeholders are also attempting to stem football’s pervasive gambling culture, with AFL Victoria and community leagues pledging to do the same.

“Clubs are much more responsible than the AFL,” Mr Costello said.

“Most of the Victorian clubs have got out of pokies, saying it damages the community and causes addiction.

“The AFL has been utterly unprincipled. So this is not the clubs. This is actually the AFL.”

Blurring ethical lines​

Technically, the AFL isn’t breaking any laws by the way it promotes gambling. Gambling is legal – for those over the age of 18.

However, Mr Costello said the AFL had a moral responsibility as well as a legal responsibility to the sport’s fans.

“What the AFL has done is literally turn the heroes of kids, their football heroes into, effectively, greyhounds and horses – but worse,” he said.

“There’s not a child today that doesn’t know the logos, the odds, the jingles of sports betting companies, and not a child today that doesn’t think that sport, the AFL and betting go together – that they are the same thing.

“That’s corrupting. A decade ago, let alone a generation ago, adults would never tolerate grooming kids with an adult product. That’s what the AFL is doing.”

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Add gambling to that list.

“Most of the Victorian clubs have got out of pokies, saying it damages the community and causes addiction.
.”
Most of the Victorian clubs have got out of alcohol, saying it damages the community and causes addiction.
Most of the Victorian clubs have got out of junk food, saying it damages the community n causes obesity and poor health.

Firstly why not all clubs nation wide n secondly where does it stop?
Do we stop having grand finals because winners n losers makes some people sad n feeling not up to the preferred elite standard, give everyone a medal for competing all year.

P.S. Never seen a smoking or drinking advertising campaign at sporting events over the years, that's the same sort of adult product grooming.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
This is the last thing the AFL needs.
Another ex Geelong player in this role.
Probably the favourite though.

THE AFL has gone to market to fill its vacant General Manager of Football role following the departure of Brad Scott to Essendon.

It's understood the League informed clubs on Tuesday morning that it is now accepting applications to fill the position, which is one of the most senior roles in the AFL's football department.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

Expressions of interest in the role open immediately and are due to close at 5pm AEDT on Wednesday, November 30, with preferred candidates expected to be invited to participate in a formal selection process.

Jimmy Bartel, a triple-premiership champion at Geelong and now the football director at Greater Western Sydney, is one who has already indicated he would be interested in putting his hand up for the vacant position.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
I see Gill just announced his official date of leave will be after the RD 5 "nuffie round".
Looking for the fanfare goodbye with a feel good story.
How about pissing off earlier.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I see Gill just announced his official date of leave will be after the RD 5 "nuffie round".
Looking for the fanfare goodbye with a feel good story.
How about pissing off earlier.
The biggest sporting conglomerate in the country look like a bunch of amateur fools so beholden to one leader.... reminds me of a political party in the US!

Word has it the "Hail to Our Leader" send off will include a lap of honour on Adelaide Oval...... Gill astride his favourite polo pony. ..... with Hamish dutifully bringing up the rear, shoveling horseshit to the adoring masses!

• Haha

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
The biggest sporting conglomerate in the country look like a bunch of amateur fools so beholden to one leader.... reminds me of a political party in the US!

Word has it the "Hail to Our Leader" send off will include a lap of honour on Adelaide Oval...... Gill astride his favourite polo pony. ..... with Hamish dutifully bringing up the rear, shoveling horseshit to the adoring masses!
Hamish.......the nepotism is strong there.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney

Hamish.......the nepotism is strong there.
I believe the polo pony is to be lead by two French au pairs dressed in maid uniforms with Peter Dutton in front in shoe's clad with the harvested skin of illegally detained asylum seekers flown in from the Nauru death camps.

Last edited:
  • Haha

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
It's interesting the different perspectives we see when it comes to leaders.

You have politicians like Dan Andrews who people are for or against largely due to their own personal values and beliefs, and the judgement of how they perform is aligned with that.

Then you have organisations where people are invested in supporting, like a footy club. There leaders like the President or coach are fiercely supported by those who are loyal to the club, but if the club doesn't perform they can also turn hard against them.

An organisation like the AFL though has no supporters, no-one barracks for the AFL. So they are generally universally disliked by everyone. In this case you have a CEO where the view on him from people within the game seems pretty positive, even really positive but the fans all hate his guts.

The question is how do you measure a legacy in that circumstance, when the likelihood is you can take it as a given all fans hate the AFL.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
It's interesting the different perspectives we see when it comes to leaders.

You have politicians like Dan Andrews who people are for or against largely due to their own personal values and beliefs, and the judgement of how they perform is aligned with that.

Then you have organisations where people are invested in supporting, like a footy club. There leaders like the President or coach are fiercely supported by those who are loyal to the club, but if the club doesn't perform they can also turn hard against them.

An organisation like the AFL though has no supporters, no-one barracks for the AFL. So they are generally universally disliked by everyone. In this case you have a CEO where the view on him from people within the game seems pretty positive, even really positive but the fans all hate his guts.

The question is how do you measure a legacy in that circumstance, when the likelihood is you can take it as a given all fans hate the AFL.

Easy - Have they left the game itself (not $$$'s as it's not for profit remember) in a better place than before they assumed the position.

And that is not just the top tier AFL league itself but every pyramid league underneath it. This is the primary goal under the AFL CEO's watch.

Know that and you have your answer.

Reactions: 5 users