Gill’s legacy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gill’s legacy

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
Years of AFL coverups have just hit McLachlan on the arse on his way out the door.

The league has had a shocking month. Unfortunately for him, no one will remember the broadcast rights deal which he was desperate to be his legacy. It will be marred by a lack of integrity in the game and this horrific episode.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Also do know one other thing, they will miss him when disasters like today occur. Imagine Auld or Dillon fronting things at short notice like today.

Like all massive corporate operators the AFL would have a crisis management mob on a retainer I reckon.
As for the short notice, he's had it for a couple of weeks and I bet me left nut it wouldn't have seen the light of day until he was gone.

Years of AFL coverups have just hit McLachlan on the arse on his way out the door.

Let's face it, he was schooled by one of the best in the caper... took a government investigation to shoehorn his predecessor outta Crown!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The league has had a shocking month. Unfortunately for him, no one will remember the broadcast rights deal which he was desperate to be his legacy. It will be marred by a lack of integrity in the game and this horrific episode.
Not sure sure. Gil has a pretty sycophantic following in the media.

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Honestly I don't think Gil or the AFL should be anywhere near establishing an outside team.
They can't be allowed to control the narrative on this. They have a history of sweeping things under the carpet under his watch.

His first step is to stand down the accused from their roles or at least advise clubs to do so. The alleged behaviour has tabled in an independent report already.
Another independent investigation can possibly clear their names but this needs to be put to one side for now given the sensitivities to all First Nations people who'll be stunned by today's revelations.

The inquiry done so far was purely to consult the clubs first nations people to understand their experiences while at the club.

No cross checking of facts to the accused has taken place.

That needs to occur so full facts can be tabled and reviewed, headed by a QC, which has occurred.

Who else will run with it if the AFL don't? Fair work? If so that will take months/years.

Not sure of the other option on this one other than what Gil has done.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Do know he would have been wishing this didn't see light of day until he departed.

This will completely over shadow any media rights as he departs.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Do know he would have been wishing this didn't see light of day until he departed.

This will completely over shadow any media rights as he departs.
Particularly if Clarkson, Fagan and others are made to stand down/resign in disgrace.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I disagree BigR.

That’s my view though.

I think he has a lot to answer for.

I know there's been widespread opinions about the chain of responsibility at Essendon but surely no-one could seriously suggest the AFL CEO is responsible for conversations had between club staff and players.

Reactions: 1 user

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
I know there's been widespread opinions about the chain of responsibility at Essendon but surely no-one could seriously suggest the AFL CEO is responsible for conversations had between club staff and players.

No but a culture of secrecy and coverup is rife within the AFL. It didn’t start with him but the fish rots from the head.

Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
So the report was recieved by the AFL on the 7th September as indicated by Hawthorn's Reeves in the presser? Only breaks today because revealed by the ABC.
Can you imagine how different things might have been if the AFL had acted on this report immediately?
Think about what is at stake. How might it have affected the Finals..

Reactions: 9 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The AFL has had plenty to do with the placement of both Fagan at Brisbane & Clarkson at North as both clubs were struggling at the time these coaches were appointed.
There is invested interest here.

Reactions: 8 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
The afl is full of cover ups that's what the hierarchy do.
New CEO will look like a hero if they come in and shake things up.
Sadly, probable internal appointment will reek of nepotism...........................sweepy, sweepy, ruggy, ruggy.

Reactions: 4 users

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
New CEO will look like a hero if they come in and shake things up.
Sadly, probable internal appointment will reek of nepotism...........................sweepy, sweepy, ruggy, ruggy.

Gil wouldn’t have been so cynical as to sit on the report with the intention of leaking it after the GF to give Dillon a free hit as the hero CEO cleaning up racism in the game?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL/ Gill had this for 2 weeks.

I don’t want to jump first, but the AFL again under Gill’s watch has shown themselves who to be

He should stand down too I feel. He 100% knew about this but the finals & GF were of more importance, plus him getting the rights done too!
Let’s not forget that!

Stand down Gill while this investigation takes place.

AND I hope sincerely that it is 200% independent of anyone associated, past or present with the AFL.

What do people think about other clubs doing a review or getting an independent person to have a look, talk to their Indigenous players to see if there any issues being kept quiet.

Get Shane Edwards/Houli to talk to players and be part of it.

While I am at it, why haven’t the media come hard for him ( Gill) as they have for Clarkson & Fagan etc.

He had this report for two weeks. Don’t tell me he wasn’t aware of it or was his ‘rights deal’ more important?

Would that have impacted the $ the AFL got? Possibly? Who knows that answer!

Last edited:
  • Angry

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
There you go.

The AFL’s Integrity Unit will investigate these allegations.

I for one don’t trust the AFL.