Gill’s legacy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gill’s legacy

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Only caught the back end of it, but he's handled today as best he can.

i.e. taken the investigation out of the AFL integrity dept and establishing an outside independent team headed up by a QC and with a diverse (i.e. first nations) reps.

Also mentioned he would be guided by and the report ratified by key first nations people Michael Long and others that missed their names.

Can't stand Gil and nearly all he stands for, but not sure he can do any more than that.

Also do know one other thing, they will miss him when disasters like today occur. Imagine Auld or Dillon fronting things at short notice like today.

Get with it Leysey - apparently some old pommy tart carked it.
Anyway as a result we don’t have QC’s anymore - and Gill the Dill appointed a KC for this job

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
So the report was recieved by the AFL on the 7th September as indicated by Hawthorn's Reeves in the presser? Only breaks today because revealed by the ABC.
Can you imagine how different things might have been if the AFL had acted on this report immediately?
Think about what is at stake. How might it have affected the Finals..
Wouldn't have heard anything about it if Gilligan n the suits had released or started acting on the report immediately. With old mate Lizzie carking it n hogging all the media for the last cuppla weeks, none of this report would have even been noticed.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Incredibly unfair to blame Gil in any way for this I think.
He's overseen an era where racism in his game seems to be worse. He is the boss afterall.

I think another problem that Gil has permeated is the rise of, and pandering to the private school footy program. Compounded by the relentless referencing by commentators.

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I know there's been widespread opinions about the chain of responsibility at Essendon but surely no-one could seriously suggest the AFL CEO is responsible for conversations had between club staff and players.
I'll seriously suggest the boss sets the agenda.

Reactions: 2 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I think another problem that Gil has permeated is the rise of, and pandering to the private school footy program. Compounded by the relentless referencing by commentators.
How so JB? My son is at a APS school and in senior footy program. IMO the APS and to lesser extent AGS/ACC systems have organically grown to be so
Important to the pathways but also popularity of community junior footy, and I really don’t see the AFL playing any part in this.
If you are referring to the agreements between school footy and NAB League, this was sensible planning by AFL Victoria as so many kids are at private schools where weekend sport is compulsory.
Finally as was told to me by a new media company who cover junior footy extensively, APS footy is the closest thing to college sport in Australia.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
How so JB? My son is at a APS school and in senior footy program. IMO the APS and to lesser extent AGS/ACC systems have organically grown to be so
Important to the pathways but also popularity of community junior footy, and I really don’t see the AFL playing any part in this.
If you are referring to the agreements between school footy and NAB League, this was sensible planning by AFL Victoria as so many kids are at private schools where weekend sport is compulsory.
Finally as was told to me by a new media company who cover junior footy extensively, APS footy is the closest thing to college sport in Australia.
You have precisely highlighted my concerns including even noting the absurdity of the NAB league acquiescing to the APS schools fixtueing demands. If you can't afford to send your son to a private school, where dollars are spent on name coaches, then it is harder to get drafted. It is taking kids away from public schools; and also local clubs as private schools won't let them play. This creates elitism and personally I don't like it. When does BT ever mention as player coming from a public school in his game calls?

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I find it hard to believe that stories like these would not have been on the rumour mill for a long time. There must have been a reason for the enquiry Hawthorn started in the first place. The AFL has a lot of form in relation to trying to make sure these sorts of incidents never see the light of day. I wouldn't blame Gill or the AFL specifically for this, but I do blame them for the culture which does not address issues of racism and encourages sweeping any sniff of a scandal under the carpet and not dealing with the underlying issues.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Interesting to hear a steely eyed Eddie Betts on AFL 360 tonight that a senior group of Indigenous players told Gil straight up how they felt. :(

Make no mistake the fish rots from the head.

Reactions: 10 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I find it hard to believe that stories like these would not have been on the rumour mill for a long time. There must have been a reason for the enquiry Hawthorn started in the first place. The AFL has a lot of form in relation to trying to make sure these sorts of incidents never see the light of day. I wouldn't blame Gill or the AFL specifically for this, but I do blame them for the culture which does not address issues of racism and encourages sweeping any sniff of a scandal under the carpet and not dealing with the underlying issues.

DS
My understanding is that the enquiry was a response to the stories that came out about why Cyril Rioli left the club.

Reactions: 3 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
This latest debacle is a fitting capstone to Gil's reign. The AFL is in the dark ages in terms of culture, and AFL HQ is both corrupt and grossly incompetent. The Gil media sycophants are a major red flag. A casual observer can see how poorly the AFL is run - completely devoid of governance. I hope this latest incident leads to some real leadership at AFL House, the place needs to be burnt to the ground and started over with a values based leader.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Ghost of 29

Aug 16, 2008
You have precisely highlighted my concerns including even noting the absurdity of the NAB league acquiescing to the APS schools fixtueing demands. If you can't afford to send your son to a private school, where dollars are spent on name coaches, then it is harder to get drafted. It is taking kids away from public schools; and also local clubs as private schools won't let them play. This creates elitism and personally I don't like it. When does BT ever mention as player coming from a public school in his game calls?
1. NAB V School agreement was sensible as many kids were playing both each weekend and incidents of kids breaking down was huge. Agree that the agreement benefits the private school kids, but still feel it’s the correct decision.
2. Our school invests a lot of time/effort into the footy program as they want to provide a program that is as close to NAB as possible. Some schools employ big names, ours doesn’t but in my experience the name coaches are average. You would unlikely ever to have heard of any of our senior coaching group ex for 1.
3. Public schools on a whole don’t have a genuine footy program ie regular training and weekly games. Can’t compare the 2.
4. The elitism you reference, yep no doubt it’s there like everywhere in society, but these kids commit so much to the footy program and play their guts out each week and vast majority take enormous pride in representing the school which I think is a great thing. You will never get that at local high school.

Ghost of 29

Aug 16, 2008
This latest debacle is a fitting capstone to Gil's reign. The AFL is in the dark ages in terms of culture, and AFL HQ is both corrupt and grossly incompetent. The Gil media sycophants are a major red flag. A casual observer can see how poorly the AFL is run - completely devoid of governance. I hope this latest incident leads to some real leadership at AFL House, the place needs to be burnt to the ground and started over with a values based leader.
AFL love the low hanging fruit. When it gets a bit more serious they always try and manufacture an outcome to suit the perpetrators as they are normally mates of everyone at afl house.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
AFL Chairman Richard Goyder should reconsider his position too, and perhaps follow McLachlan out the door. He is also the chairman of Qantas, he and their board have allowed Alan Joyce to ride roughshod over Qantas employees and Australian passengers.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Chairman Richard Goyder should reconsider his position too, and perhaps follow McLachlan out the door. He is also the chairman of Qantas, he and their board have allowed Alan Joyce to ride roughshod over Qantas employees and Australian passengers.
Goyder is very experienced - Wesfarmers for 12 years before Qantas, the AFL and Woodside Petroleum!

so you'd think things would be in better shape.. perhaps there's too much on his plate ?

Qantas is unusable now, they're a mess... how far behind is the AFL....?

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Goyder is very experienced - Wesfarmers for 12 years before Qantas, the AFL and Woodside Petroleum!

Experienced in the corporate sphere not football. Which has been a problem with the Comission since before Goyder. The AFL has been woefully inadequate for a long time in terms of governance.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The only thing they care about is whether whoever is in the top job brings in the money, and Gil has managed to do that. I suspect his successor will be a similar type and have the same function: show us the money!

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users