Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It seems to me that there's something very wrong at Melbourne and if it's Simon Goodwin then by extension it must be Glenn Barttlett and Gary Pert because they are the luminaries who extended his contract by three years in March 2019. (Smells like delusion. Smelled like it then.)

It's necessary in any conversation about the failures of Simon Goodwin to point the finger at Bartlett and Pert. As it surely will be to elevate them on the glorious day Goodwin holds The Cup aloft.

There is some weird *smile* going on down there. And It's about time we started to note it here. (Go for it.)

It was early last year that Goodwin was referring to his team as 'they'. Always 'they' in pressers. It stopped. Little bit of PR down down at Melbourne. Jolly good. But it was odd.

In the wake of the Port Adelaide loss Glenn Bartlett cut loose in the press-

“It was disgraceful. When you pull on a Melbourne jumper, we don’t give them out in Weeties packets,” he told the Herald Sun.

“You have to show respect for the jumper and the fans, and apart from a few blokes last night, it was an insipid performance. It wasn’t Melbourne-like and it won’t be tolerated going forward.”

“The coach and the footy guys need to address it. I am sure they had tough review but we just can’t serve up that kind of rubbish for our fans and supporters and for footy in general.

It was an exercise in 1960s football cliche that more advanced suburban clubs left behind a decade ago. Vacuous but threatening.

It was against Footscray a month ago that the coach took the board down to the dugout and furiously swapped magnets on it, presumably for the sake of the cameras. To be seen to be doing something. He dropped a couple of magnets. Not sure he noticed. The frenzied pantomime went on. It looked like he was terrified.

Nobody likes to fail but to me Simon Goodwin's panic looked bizarre. I felt for him. No irony.

In his postmatch last night does Simon Goodwin aim a brief broadside at unnamed individuals. "We need to get more ruthless as a club." *Who does?* He clarifies "Everybody."

A need to mature is mentioned. Who needs to mature?

In April 2019 Bartlett extended Goodwin by three years. (Bizarre IMO. Some might say generous.) Fifteen months later the same man threatened to sack him in the press. "Won't be tolerated." "The coach."

Is it a chain of threatening cliche? At Melbourne? Does it come from the president down? He anoints, he disgraces. The coach blathers condemnation.

That pantomime on the sidelines. I think it tells us a lot about Bartlett.

And how does all the threatening work out?

Reactions: 6 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Nothing *smile* me more than coaches using "they". Shaw is doing it at North, Wallace used to do it too. Hardwick was a "we" man from day one.

And you didn't mention the Melbourne off season doco "To Hell and Back" which pre-empted a non-existent return to the upper echelon of the ladder.

Reactions: 7 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
I think they are close. If they can broker a 3 way deal in the offseason with Carlton & Essendon where the Dee's get Levi Casbolt, The Blue get Shaun McKernan & Essendon end up with Brayden Preuss - i think all 3 teams could win the every flag between 2021 to 2030. Obviously there may have to be some swapping of 7th * 8th round future picks to even this deal out

Get it done fellas:banana

• Haha

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Oh, yeah. The joint smacks of delusion, jb.

The dumb. And the dumb and malignant. (A bit like North.)

I think we'll get plenty to feed this thread in the future. We haven't even mentioned Pert yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I put it down to their systematic tanking. Players and coaches knowing no on wanted them to win. Losing was their goal.

Their fans cheering and singing our song when we beat them after the siren.

It destroyed the soul of the club.

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
How would Roos be feeling? Went in there as a basket case, turned it around, left it to Goodwin on an uphill trend, playing finals, then the arse falls out again and its back where it started

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
How would Roos be feeling? Went in there as a basket case, turned it around, left it to Goodwin on an uphill trend, playing finals, then the arse falls out again and its back where it started

IMO Roos gets far to much credit and respect in AFL circles, no doubt an intelligent man but not deserving on the praise he receives.

Dees deal and handover was always going to fail imo, guy going in to fix the place on enormous money stating his exit date before beginning... Footy clubs, people Want buy in, ownership and in it together... the start proved this wasnt the case and as others have said he rarely used the words we...

Handovers can work as they can also fail, I don’t believe appointing a coach with a handover predetermined will be successful and quite frankly I consider arrogant from outset.

Long may the dees suffer...

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Nothing *smile* me more than coaches using "they". Shaw is doing it at North, Wallace used to do it too. Hardwick was a "we" man from day one.

And you didn't mention the Melbourne off season doco "To Hell and Back" which pre-empted a non-existent return to the upper echelon of the ladder.
Will the sequel be coming out next preseason

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think they are close. If they can broker a 3 way deal in the offseason with Carlton & Essendon where the Dee's get Levi Casbolt, The Blue get Shaun McKernan & Essendon end up with Brayden Preuss - i think all 3 teams could win the every flag between 2021 to 2030. Obviously there may have to be some swapping of 7th * 8th round future picks to even this deal out

Get it done fellas:banana
Or you could trade Stringer, McGovern and McDonald for a whole lot more money but probably less results.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Great post Jack.
I was staggered that they extended Goodwin's contract. I thought he was closer to a mental breakdown than a contract extension when it was announced.
That extension must feel like a lead weight around his ankle in the Mariana Trench about now.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
IMO Roos gets far to much credit and respect in AFL circles, no doubt an intelligent man but not deserving on the praise he receives.

Dees deal and handover was always going to fail imo, guy going in to fix the place on enormous money stating his exit date before beginning... Footy clubs, people Want buy in, ownership and in it together... the start proved this wasnt the case and as others have said he rarely used the words we...

Handovers can work as they can also fail, I don’t believe appointing a coach with a handover predetermined will be successful and quite frankly I consider arrogant from outset.

Long may the dees suffer...

He unbelievebly gets overrated. The only flag he ever won was with a Rodney Eade built side, That had COLA advantages. Barry Hall should never have played that day either.
What did he really achieve at melbourne?? Just have a look at the result of the final game he coached for them. And on top of that, had the nerve to give richmond a clip on his way out at their b&f.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He unbelievebly gets overrated. The only flag he ever won was with a Rodney Eade built side, That had COLA advantages. Barry Hall should never have played that day either.
What did he really achieve at melbourne?? Just have a look at the result of the final game he coached for them. And on top of that, had the nerve to give richmond a clip on his way out at their b&f.

That did he say?
It wouldn't have helped the day he told me to Foff, when i sat next to the coaches box and spent the entire afternoon, calling out 'Stack the backline line Rossy".
He destroyed the game in the mid 2000's. Demitirou was right

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Goodwin has been nobbled from the start. He carries the burden of the Roos blueprint and legacy - way too much of a handicap. Did he ask for it? Looks like it - no sympathy from me I’m afraid.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
No-one here has yet mentioned the factor with greatest influence inhibiting Melbourne. Failure to address The Norm Smith Curse.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
It was basically when we had that stupid board challenge. In his speech at their B&F, was talking about how solid their club is and how galvanised they are as opposed to Richmond eat their own when the going gets tough. Clearly not a direct quote but along those lines.
Pretty rich seeing he'd just ended a cushy tenure where there was no real expectations on him and always had a clear out. Talking about how solid the club is just before he walks out the door with millions of MFC money hanging out his pocket, never to be seen again.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Membership has fallen 20%. Not a good year to disappoint. If Richmond’s under pressure to make tough decisions, Melbourne will really be feeling the pinch.

Sequel coming next year. To Hell and Back, and Back Again.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users