Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
Liked the fact that renewables essentially kept the grid online in Vic during the current heat wave as the coal fired power stations had to shut-down - too hot.
“Written and spoken by Lilly D’Ambrosia”.....

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's only because my Giant winter Power bills give me the Blues.

Get yourself a coal fired power station, or more practical, some solar panels - I haven't had an electricity bill since 2010, people tell me prices have risen.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apparently “dirty old” coal let us down. That Hazlewood joint should be shut down.

Aah the Hazelwood argument, total crap it is. Hazelwood should have been closed down years earlier, it was already beyond its expected lifespan.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
DavidSSS said:
Aah the Hazelwood argument, total crap it is. Hazelwood should have been closed down years earlier, it was already beyond its expected lifespan.

DS
Geez, I hope your wife doesn’t live past 82:

“Alright love, now you’re 82 you know the drill. Close your eyes...this won’t hurt a bit”.....

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
DavidSSS said:

There was enough coal at the adjacent mine to keep it going for 20+ years. Engie was all set to upgrade the plant at a cost of $250m, but when the government raised the standards and the bill shot up to $750m, they bailed. The government forced them out.

The point was that D'Ambrosio took a leaf out of the AFL's playbook and tried to spin a negative as a positive. No sale.

She declared there would be no blackouts in Victoria... 90 minutes before the blackouts commenced.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
From the BOM today re Victoria..FWIW

'The state had its warmest January on record (mean temp. 3.97 °C above the January average).
Statewide rainfall was 72% below the long-term average for January.'

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/month/vic/summary.shtml?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=org&utm_campaign=sm-006-0115&utm_content=Br

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
antman said:
Liked the fact that renewables essentially kept the grid online in Vic during the current heat wave as the coal fired power stations had to shut-down - too hot.

Does anyone know how much extra power we needed when the blackouts were on last week? Was Vic generating 90, 95, 99 % of demand as the brown/ black outs hit?

And by how much has demand gown since the mid 90s when the SEC was dismantled? Has industry demand grown or is it all our air conditioning (I comfortably survived 40 years in Melb before needing an ac and that was primarily as I moved to a smaller dog box.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tremendous summer weather over the weekend. A great shame they brought in a pussy heat rule which saw cricket called off on Sunday.

Cooling costs about a third as much as heating on my bills; winter really doesn't have much going for it apart from footy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Geez, I hope your wife doesn’t live past 82:

“Alright love, now you’re 82 you know the drill. Close your eyes...this won’t hurt a bit”.....

My partner is a human being not a piece of industrial plant.

What a silly analogy.

By the way, AC costs nothing, solar panels take care of that.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
First climate change-caused mammal extinction

The Morrison government has formally recognised the extinction of a tiny island rodent, the Bramble Cay melomys - the first known demise of a mammal because of human-induced climate change.

I must be missing something in the article. The animal is apparently/possibly extinct - but what role climate change may have played is left to the imagination.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
not left to the imagination, simply not included in the quote from the govt report.
Probably because the article isnt about climate change, but focused on animal extinction.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigerdell said:
not left to the imagination, simply not included in the quote from the govt report.
Probably because the article isnt about climate change, but focused on animal extinction.

I've since read elsewhere that the extinction is believed to have been caused by a decline in vegetation due to sea surges (though anecdotal evidence also suggests the animal was hunted for food by visiting indigenous people, some of whom also allowed their dogs to run amok). It also says only a dozen individuals were observed in a 2004 survey, and that the last (anecdotal) sighting was in 2009. What happened to the conservation effort?

The animal likely arrived at the island via driftwood from nearby PNG. It's possible that similar populations exist elsewhere.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
tigersnake said:
not bad. used to be more like 'deny and your grandkids fry'.

It’s hapenning. Must be stinking in Alice. The ol fan forced oven on 220.i remember priming canvas in a shed at Kiwirrkurra where the shade temperature outside was 55. I lost control of thought and motor functions after about half an hour.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Similar populations may exist but as Darwin identified there is incredible diversity and difference within very small territorial changes.

The article suggests that the conservation effort by the govt was inadequate. Its an indirect cost that burden taxpayers.
Proactive vs reactive cost, all logic points to a preventative approach to the climate

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigerdell said:
Similar populations may exist but as Darwin identified there is incredible diversity and difference within very small territorial changes.

The article suggests that the conservation effort by the govt was inadequate. Its an indirect cost that burden taxpayers.
Proactive vs reactive cost, all logic points to a preventative approach to the climate

Maybe due to localised conditions? Despite the publicity about allegedly rising sea levels, a growing multitude of people live on low-lying coral atolls without being swept away.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
All kind of academic as we going through the sixth mass-extinction in the planet's history right now, the anthropocene mass-extinction. Habitat loss, human predation, chemical pesticides, and climate change all doing their bit.

The one that freaks me out is the loss of insect populations - apparently insect populations (not species) are declining by 2.5% a year globally. That's massive, and could lead to the collapse of whole ecosystems.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
antman said:
The one that freaks me out is the loss of insect populations - apparently insect populations (not species) are declining by 2.5% a year globally. That's massive, and could lead to the collapse of whole ecosystems.

Definitely a massive worry, I read a report a few years back that indicated some benefits for insects, unfortunately that's a falsehood. As a Gen-X guy I reckon I'm in for the complete roadshow as far as life is concerned - stability, fragility & then massive uncertainty, that's on the presumption I make to 80. The Boomers are for the most part the non-believers, the Millennials pretty clued up but feeling somewhat helpless. All this will change over the next decade, we're already seeing a shift. Hopefully not too late but the clock is ticking.