Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Cold winter in Melbourne?? Haha, what are you, 10 years old? This winter has been a bit colder than we have seen over the last few years, at least that's the impression I get, and I know, I ride a pushbike to work every day. But it isn't even close to a normal winter in the 1970s or 1980s. Regular frost on the windscreen, a white covering on parks, these things just aren't as common as they used to be.

As for the suggestion of nuclear power, give me a break. Absolutely insane idea, words cannot convey how stupid this is. If the world ramps up nuclear power now we get maybe 50 years of power, more likely a lot less. It comes with 250,000 years of toxic radioactive waste for which there is no safe solution to store this stuff for that long. Think about it, if the ancient Egyptians had nuclear power and had stored the waste in the pyramids we would still be less than 10% through the half life of the toxic radioactive waste produced. There is no safe way to store the waste from nuclear power generation for the required period of time for it to become safe, for a non-renewable power source this just makes no sense.

In Australia, of all countries, with a sparse population, with plenty of land, with abundant sunshine and wind onshore and offshore, it is a no-brainer to go for solar and wind. Add in some tidal power, hydro storage, solar collecting power stations (they work overnight) and we should be ramping up the renewables and exporting power to our nearest neighbours.

DS

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Just came back from Singapore with work, Qantas have a documentary movie called 2040 by an Australian bloke (Damon something, can't remember right now) but it shows what we could do with current technology that could change our future by 2040. Some really good and interesting options put forward, particularly around farming methods and especially farming methods in the sea and what that can do to help correct the acidity and temperature of the seas, definitely sounds like something Australia should be investing in.
Australia should? What does that mean exactly?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Australia should? What does that mean exactly?

Didn't think it was that hard, but there should be a focus on farming the seas. We all hear about how the growing temperature and acidity of the sea is killing coral in the Barrier Reef, we should be focusing attention on farming the seas and growing more seaweed. Can be used as cattle feed instead of onshore feedstocks which will have a massive affect on how much farming is being used that negatively affects the environment. The doco that I mentioned said that 30% of CO2 emissions are created through farming. Seems a no brainer for mine. Now how they do it, I don't know as no-one ones land in the sea, maybe the government need to be the ones investing in this area rather than having private investment in it.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Now how they do it, I don't know as no-one ones land in the sea, maybe the government need to be the ones investing in this area rather than having private investment in it.
I don’t mean to be curt but I’m not challenging you whether what you say is a good or bad investment, just your idea of how it should be funded. I’d point out that if private investment isn’t interested then it is because private investors must deem other investments to be more urgent. Saying the government should then step in means that it is an uneconomical venture by definition.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Cold winter in Melbourne?? Haha, what are you, 10 years old? This winter has been a bit colder than we have seen over the last few years, at least that's the impression I get, and I know, I ride a pushbike to work every day. But it isn't even close to a normal winter in the 1970s or 1980s. Regular frost on the windscreen, a white covering on parks, these things just aren't as common as they used to be.

DS

Agree. When I was 18, I remember shivering in my bedroom listening to the boombox, even with the heater on in the loungeroom.

Even 10 years ago, I used to despise getting up for work at 5:30 am during winter because of the cold air, now it's just as mild every morning. I'm still sleeping with my windows open at times.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Agree. When I was 18, I remember shivering in my bedroom listening to the boombox, even with the heater on in the loungeroom.

Even 10 years ago, I used to despise getting up for work at 5:30 am during winter because of the cold air, now it's just as mild every morning. I'm still sleeping with my windows open at times.

Same. But I now realise that I'm now showing the same traits my father did back when I was a kid. It could be weather, or it could be age/maturity etc

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My skin certainly got thicker and I'm carrying more insulation. And over time you get used to things and you learn to deal with it without moaning

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t mean to be curt but I’m not challenging you whether what you say is a good or bad investment, just your idea of how it should be funded. I’d point out that if private investment isn’t interested then it is because private investors must deem other investments to be more urgent. Saying the government should then step in means that it is an uneconomical venture by definition.

My understanding of it is that no-one owns the sea, unlike land rights, so therefore the discussion of private investment is probably a difficult one. I'm not sure they've ever really gone down a licencing arrangement for farming in a similar way that offshore oil goes through but maybe that's the way. At the moment there isn't a way to do this, my point about the government is that maybe they should be looking at this as an option. Ie. the government goes through a process where they lease the sea to farming companies, however they need to ensure that the method of farming is sustainable which they haven't done with land farming.

I don't know a lot about this but it was certainly something from the doco that really made me sit up and listen due to the significant benefits it has on the seas (reduced temps and reduced acidity) and hence the benefits that this has for not only the worldwide environment but particularly from an Aussie POV protecting the natural environment of the Great Barrier Reef.

I come from a slightly different viewpoint to you in terms of subsidisation. If the sea keeps warming and keeps becoming more acidic a lot of tourist $'s will disappear from the Australian economy so should be reviewed within that framework. If there is a net benefit to the country by subsidising sea farming in order to protect the benefits of the tourism economy then it makes sense to me that should subsidisation be required (and I have no idea if it does) then it should be provided as the net benefit is greater (ie. reviewing based upon NPV etc).

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What's the source for that?

The usual, Spencer from UAH.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The usual, Spencer from UAH.

the same Roy Spencer phd who wrote a book debunking the theory of evolution in favour of god making the earth in 7 days?

yeah right.

chocas with credibility in some circles

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
the same Roy Spencer phd who wrote a book debunking the theory of evolution in favour of god making the earth in 7 days?

yeah right.

chocas with credibility in some circles

He was one of five contributors after studying the evolution v intelligent design debate. Yeah, he has a lot of issues with the theory of evolution. Those issues arose before he turned to Christianity. First time I encountered anyone credible supporting intelligent design was as a young bloke while talking to a doctor, and I was shocked. I’m not a subscriber but it turns out there are plenty of intelligent people and even scientists who are.

Regardless of his opinions, even critics agree that Spencer has made and continues to make a valuable contribution to the science. But knowing your opinion on religion, I can understand that you’d see this as a big black mark on his credibility.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He was one of five contributors after studying the evolution v intelligent design debate. Yeah, he has a lot of issues with the theory of evolution. Those issues arose before he turned to Christianity. First time I encountered anyone credible supporting intelligent design was as a young bloke while talking to a doctor, and I was shocked. I’m not a subscriber but it turns out there are plenty of intelligent people and even scientists who are.

Regardless of his opinions, even critics agree that Spencer has made and continues to make a valuable contribution to the science. But knowing your opinion on religion, I can understand that you’d see this as a big black mark on his credibility.

I dont think you really need to have any degree of religious scepticism

to distrust the views and data of a scientist who thinks god made the earth 7 days?

I would also question the methodology used to assign the term 'intelligent', to someone who believe that god made the earth in 7 days.

good at maths and physics? maybe. great memory? maybe. good at rugby? maybe. Persuasive? maybe.

Intelligent? I dont reckon

I also think a scientist who believes in intelligent design is like a dairy farmer who believes in activated almond milk.

as if you could come up with the potential phenotype of Jason Castagne in a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I dont think you really need to have any degree of religious scepticism

to distrust the views and data of a scientist who thinks god made the earth 7 days?

What's the specific quote related to that?

As far as I'm aware, his argument is that there are implausibilities in evolution theory that are better explained by creationism.

I accept that his beliefs probably colour his opinions, but am unaware of any religious references in his published scientific work.