Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
You may well be right DJ. But Climate Change is a scientific area of study, not a political issue. It is possible to be wrong, objectively. Opinions are worth next to zilch. Opinions of non-experts and kooks, less than zilch. And it is particularly odd to label those who accept the well evidenced and reported science as "activists". Surely you can see that deniers are, at least, also activists?

We are a social species and ridicule has a place. Satire, tomfoolery, etc. are all tools we can deploy. There have always been social consequences for making a goose of yourself. To badly paraphrase Sam Harris talking about bad ideas "If you walk in to a job interview and tell them about your strongly held belief that Elvis is alive and working at your local McDonald's, that should and does have consequences". All ideas are not equal. All ridicule is not unjustified.

Climate science is very very political. The politics is what to do about it. I’m not against pulling down carbon emissions but everyone is in or no one will be.

In the science of how the climate is changing there seems to me to be a lot of room for scepticism. Nothing is settled till everything is fully understood.

In debate the ad hominem (ridicule) is a fallacy with no value in a debate. Those who use it are engaging in politics.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Labor had a turn and botched it.

Of that lot I patronise only The Australian, occasionally. In the States you've got CNN, CBS, ABC & NBC all pulling left, and only FOX speaking for Trump. And the people still want Trump. Facts win over rhetoric.

Plenty of lefty mouthpieces over here as well.

Abbott, Turnbull and Morrison have done a very good job at doubling Government debt in 6 years.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The "popular free to air mainstream" tv in Australia is only left mouthpieces.

This is delusional. All commercial media skews towards supporting the LNP or at least going easy on them, and much of the ABC does the same, eg. watch the Insiders episodes that Fran Kelly hosted.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
This is delusional. All commercial media skews towards supporting the LNP or at least going easy on them, and much of the ABC does the same, eg. watch the Insiders episodes that Fran Kelly hosted.
Sheeez you guys really are far left these days. Pretty much with our opinions we are saying that absolutely no-one watches free to air?
To even go to the ABC are supporting the LNP you are on some really good gear. That is just click bait if ever i have experienced it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Of course you disagree. Most people who are rooted into either side will disagree because they think, no, truly believe, their side is right.

Left is just as intolerant as Right
Right just as condescending as the Left

There is no difference in the behaviour and attitude of the two sides. If you can't see it, then you're in it.
Do you honestly believe that all lefts are against all thing right and vice versa?
Just reading the past month on this thread would say your opinion has no support, your posts, and your fellow over opinionated crowd have shown that there certainly is a difference in this space and also in life.
L2 is spot on, you are the proof.
You are a the one in the hate bubble tiger.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah nah. Of course there are those who are not so easily led, but they are not represented in the media and don't bother to get caught in debates I reckon.

As for me being in a bubble, that's a bit rich from someone who thinks News Corp isnt on the Right side of the political spectrum.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com

This is pretty funny. Pretty much all the mainstream free-to-air media is left-leaning. There is a constant guilt-inducing, hand-wringing, nausea inducing PC narrative on everything every day! I mean these journalists all had their thinking straight-jacketed when they completed their arts degrees in institutions of higher indoctrination! They know no other way.

Then the lefties have the hide to complain about Murdoch. He is the only balance there is!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
As for me being in a bubble, that's a bit rich from someone who thinks News Corp isnt on the Right side of the political spectrum.
Nope, that was your assumption.

What i did for you was represent news corp to you with a few examples of news corp that were not right winged, in fact the opposite is quite often evident. Even today and yesterday they are publishing far from right leaning articles. Im not sure what you want from a "news" outlet to be honest, maybe totally biased reporting in only items you agree with?

Yep, thats pretty spot on.

My belief is that this is the issue with you and your hard leaning left friends. You are unable to see past your bias. Regardless of the "what" its the "who" that you take humbrance with. Well that and the other few things i have mentioned ad nauseam over the past month.

The bubble is yours.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
The "popular free to air mainstream" tv in Australia is only left mouthpieces.
The patronage for these outlets is far higher than the ones covered by knighter and others previously. One only has to stay home from work and be bombarded with 3 hours of endless garbage "news" to know why going to work is a pleasure. In the evenings it really ramps up. Maybe this is why our PRE friends on this thread are so pent up with anger and rudeness :oops: .
Like converstations or so called debate with climate change activists they state crap like hurt feelings and how they dont care, well there are no hurt feelings here just plain old good manners. Your attitude and behavioir would not be the same if we met face to face because communication doesn't work like it does on a keyboard.
We have given them the blueprint on how to win the next election but as usual they think abuse and hysteria will win over the masses.

A few people giving away their demographics here whining about free to air TV.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What i did for you was represent news corp to you with a few examples of news corp that were not right winged, in fact the opposite is quite often evident. Even today and yesterday they are publishing far from right leaning articles. Im not sure what you want from a "news" outlet to be honest, maybe totally biased reporting in only items you agree with?

That's cool HR, I'm not debating the News Corp political leaning with you because it's a non-starter. If that's what you believe then we'll never agree, never influence the other and to debate it is a waste of time, at least for me.

My belief is that this is the issue with you and your hard leaning left friends. You are unable to see past your bias. Regardless of the "what" its the "who" that you take humbrance with. Well that and the other few things i have mentioned ad nauseam over the past month.

The bubble is yours.

Believe whatever you want HR, but you might sound a bit more credible if you stick to what you know, see and hear from me, rather than hypothesise on my friends leaning and use that in your argument. The fact that you're so deeply rooted in the right, as is clearly evidenced by your views on News Corp, I expect nothing else but to be called hard left by you.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

This is pretty funny. Pretty much all the mainstream free-to-air media is left-leaning. There is a constant guilt-inducing, hand-wringing, nausea inducing PC narrative on everything every day! I mean these journalists all had their thinking straight-jacketed when they completed their arts degrees in institutions of higher indoctrination! They know no other way.

Then the lefties have the hide to complain about Murdoch. He is the only balance there is!

You're both wrong. The commercial free to air stations are a mix. Some shows and political correspondents lean one way, some the other. I wouldn't accuse any other them of being overly biased one way or another, unlike News Corp and CNN.

ABC I view a bit differently. Maybe because they pay less many of their shows do have a left lean, but to counter that the ABC traditionally have taken politicians to task on both sides.

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
ABC I view a bit differently. Maybe because they pay less many of their shows do have a left lean, but to counter that the ABC traditionally have taken politicians to task on both sides.

Yes, staid old 'Aunty' used to be a big supporter of all things Australian, but now suffers severely from cultural cringe.

It's required by law to be impartial, so you wonder how much longer it is going to be allowed to continue. Some of the stuff that goes to air is just plain feral.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yes, staid old 'Aunty' used to be a big supporter of all things Australian, but now suffers severely from cultural cringe.

It's required by law to be impartial, so you wonder how much longer it is going to be allowed to continue. Some of the stuff that goes to air is just plain feral.

I think you are doing a disservice to the ABC, especially ABC radio.
Having worked in an isolated part of Australia for years, ABC radio was all that we had, there was no TV.
I'm a massive ABC radio fan, a huge fan.
I've retired now, but i still go to bed every night with my little ear piece in listening to my beloved ABC.
"Nightlife" and "Overnights" are an institution as far as i'm concerned .

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pretty sure we haven't.
So no adapting from cro magnon or neanderthal? No ice age either? Pretty sure there was also a fair few years of weather disruption not that long ago when Krakatoa or some such large volcano *smile* itself not that long ago.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005

Murdoch runs papers at a loss in order to spread his particularly bankrupt form of toxicity.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
A few people giving away their demographics here whining about free to air TV.
Got me.
I admit that i do watch footy and cricket and motor sport.
And now you have an issue with peoples demographics too! What's next Coburg, come on humour me?

Last edited:

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
You're both wrong. The commercial free to air stations are a mix. Some shows and political correspondents lean one way, some the other. I wouldn't accuse any other them of being overly biased one way or another, unlike News Corp and CNN.

Actually I watch little FTA tv apart from quiz shows and the news. I do like the ABC TV news because it is local & radio and listen in every morning. Regional Australia would be lost without it, but I rarely watch political style shows as they irritate me too much.

I’m talking more about the print media: Fairfax, News.com, Guardian etc. These are full of left wing propaganda.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Climate science is very very political. The politics is what to do about it. I’m not against pulling down carbon emissions but everyone is in or no one will be.

I will never understand people who think things are black or white. "All in or no one in" is a very childish way to think about a global issue, especially a scientific one. All theories are subject to review and change. This is not a good reason to ignore them. Newtonian gravity has flaws, imagine ignoring it because it fails at the quantum level?

In the science of how the climate is changing there seems to me to be a lot of room for scepticism. Nothing is settled till everything is fully understood.

Again, black and white. No mate, this just isn't how science is done. See the example of Newtonian gravity above.

In debate the ad hominem (ridicule) is a fallacy with no value in a debate. Those who use it are engaging in politics.

Debate can be political, but science is not done by debating. Editorials are not part of peer review. Ridicule is perfectly acceptable in any forum where a person is attempting to equate their understanding of science with that of the experts. If you stick your neck out expect it to get chopped off. Ridicule has no place in peer review or academic sources but I don't think PRE is a journal of note. So if people are going to say daft things online, I reckon they are fair game.