Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I've said all I can without repeating myself and won't be contributing further thoughts. Will return to this thread at some future point when it becomes less hysterical.

In the meantime I ask only that you read the following two articles in their entirety

- - - - -

""Climate change is an issue I care passionately about and have dedicated a significant portion of my life to addressing. I have been politically active on the issue for over 20 years and have researched and written about it for 17 years."

- - - - -

... then pause to consider that practically everyone we are hearing from sits somewhere to the left of the author.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I've said all I can without repeating myself and won't be contributing further thoughts. Will return to this thread at some future point when it becomes less hysterical.

So, "I'm Taking my bat and my ball and going home." How many times did you ask me your your stupid question, including attempting to bait me with:

Was the question too difficult?

I respect your right to withdraw from the conversation, but I reserve my right to think you have engaged in bad faith.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Yep, that's how I see it too. So it's either a conspiracy or an adjustment of the data for a technical reason.

Any windowless planes seen near the convention centre?

Not doing my off-season PRE reputation of annoying the bejeasus out of my fellow posters any good. Maybe I need to take up another hobby?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not doing my off-season PRE reputation of annoying the bejeasus out of my fellow posters any good. Maybe I need to take up another hobby?

Dunno. PRE tradition seems to be a nice long off season debate on some topic. The 911 Conspiracy Theory thread is the benchmark that all other off season debates will be judged against. Not sure that will ever be topped.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Dunno. PRE tradition seems to be a nice long off season debate on some topic. The 911 Conspiracy Theory thread is the benchmark that all other off season debates will be judged against. Not sure that will ever be topped.

I still feel guilty about that one. I really do try not to get as aggitated and to avoid full-on baiting. I love the to-and-fro but I don't want to see any more PREers leave the site over some *smile* posted on a thread.

That said, there really do seem to be some parallels in this discussion. ;)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How many times did you ask me your your stupid question, including attempting to bait me with

You deliberately avoided answering a straightforward question and went on an unrelated waffle. More than once.
You're the one that brought it up. Why not show some integrity and good faith and admit you called it wrong?

Where's your retraction of this goof? No apologies, no regrets.

Hypocrite.
I respect your right to withdraw from the conversation, but I reserve my right to think you have engaged in bad faith.

Of course I have a "right" to withdraw from the discussion. If you're really determined to worry yourself sick over the climate boogieman, it's no skin off my bum. The last thing I want is another rosy3 situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
You deliberately avoided answering a straightforward question and went on an unrelated waffle. More than once.

No, I refused to play your semantic game. Notice you still haven't answered my straightforward question. ;)

Where's your retraction of this goof? No apologies, no regrets.

Hypocrite.

Happy to. My bad. Oops. Regret is wasted. LIfe moves on, I misattributed a quote, I didn't kick your dog.

Of course I have a "right" to withdraw from the discussion. If you're really determined to worry yourself sick over the climate boogieman, it's no skin off my bum. The last thing I want is another rosy3 situation.

We are in furious agreement. Hurrah!

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
For anyone still playing along at home here are some graphics that hopefully help to explain why some of the data needs to be read in context. One of the reasons the "HadCRUT" (Hadley Centre of the UK Meteorological office and the Climatic Research Unit) data seems to show so much deviation is because it is incomplete. If you look at the map on the right of the 1st graphic you should be able to see why scientists would be cautious when extrapolating or generalising from that particular dataset. Not some whacky conspiracy, just a dataset that is accurate only in the regions of the globe it covers. That means it is prone to missing out on any trends that may be occuring in the Arctic and Antarctic, ditto the 2nd map. The 2nd and 3rd graphics show that these regions have indeed seen greater warming in recent years, something that HadCRUT/NCDC (National Climatic Data Center ) can't "see" (except in spots, if you look closely you can see that the few isolated measuring stations do seem to confirm this). I got these graphics from "Skeptical Science" but they are not the source, the source is the actual data.

gistemp-coverage-2010-12 (1).gif

gistemp-coverage-maps.gif

gistemp-coverage-zonal.gif

The point being that far from a cabal of climate warriors out to hoodwink everyone into buying an electric car, researchers discovered some anomalies in their data and set about trying to find out why. They realised that some of the data they were getting would contain implicit biases if extrapolated over the whole globe to produce an average. The average would be inaccurate for reasons that I hope these graphics make obvious. I hope also that anyone reading my posts would be honest enough to concede that I haven't done much ranting or raving or catastrophising. I do think there is a serious problem and that it affects so huge and complex a system - and one that we all rely on - so we must take it seriously.

sources:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
"What good is all the extra wealth in the world gained from business as usual if you can do nothing with it except watch it burn in catastrophic conditions," he added.

Won't that depend on where you live?

These sort of ridiculous, exaggerated statements add nothing to the discussion. They likely serve to alienate people.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
"What good is all the extra wealth in the world gained from business as usual if you can do nothing with it except watch it burn in catastrophic conditions," he added.

Royal calls on World Leaders to take immediate action on climate change

You know, it does make you think especially after the recent headline about the world's 26 richest people:

The growing concentration of the world’s wealth has been highlighted by a report showing that the 26 richest billionaires own as many assets as the 3.8 billion people who make up the poorest half of the planet’s population.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I bet the Royal family doesn’t sell all of their mining shares. The Queen is said to be the biggest non institutional shareholder of Rio Tinto in the world.

The Crown Estate is also big investors into renewable energy in the UK. Wind and Tidal power being a massive earner for them

Reactions: 1 user