Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Wow, I excuse myself politely and you call me a wanker.

Class.
Yeah but i meant it in the nicest possible way.

I guess personal replies are a one way street, "HR is getting less coherent with every post. I'm starting to get a little concerned I'm arguing with a bot."

I actually felt like a pretentious wanker writing the question. But i will go further, see reply to AM in a minute.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Maybe it’s ‘fair’ but it will make absolutely NO difference to cc whatsoever because massive emitters like China & India will not only continue to emit but are building new coal fired power stations as we speak. Not to mention the US that is not even a signatory to Paris. The whole thing is laughable. We will all die of cc but those of us with solar on the roof will at least feel virtuous before we depart.

Some of us want to leave a planet in reasonable shape for future generations.

That's why nihilism doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
This is profound.

What's with the quote marks around "NO"?
Its not profound, it's painful.

In my moment of "wanker" i didnt think you would provide an answer. Lol

By the way AM i dont actually want an answer, you cant answer it how you want because you would have to agree with me and the other neo liberal crew. If that was a dig at me and others who disagree with your beliefs.

Its cool mate seems it wont matter what the actual cause is we will disagree.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013

I am not denying stuff all. Nihilism aint me old tiger.
You think you can control the situation, make tiny changes in Australia to the way you live and think. You can. Its fine.
But I think if your end goal is to save the planet, its a worthy cause but its in vain. You will feel good you contributed less than others but you are but a drop in the ocean.
Life is what you make of it, get in and bog down doing what makes you feel you have a purpose, but dont hold yourself to blame when *smile* hits the fan on a global scale.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Its not profound, it's painful.

In my moment of "wanker" i didnt think you would provide an answer. Lol

By the way AM i dont actually want an answer, you cant answer it how you want because you would have to agree with me and the other neo liberal crew. If that was a dig at me and others who disagree with your beliefs.

Its cool mate seems it wont matter what the actual cause is we will disagree.

For us to disagree I'd have to understand what you are writing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I am not denying stuff all. Nihilism aint me old tiger.
You think you can control the situation, make tiny changes in Australia to the way you live and think. You can. Its fine.
But I think if your end goal is to save the planet, its a worthy cause but its in vain. You will feel good you contributed less than others but you are but a drop in the ocean.
Life is what you make of it, get in and bog down doing what makes you feel you have a purpose, but dont hold yourself to blame when **** hits the fan on a global scale.

Was replying to Djevv actually, I've put the quote in to make it clearer.

If you have a philosophical position I've yet to see any evidence of it.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com

Well it’s pretty clear that what the world community is allowing doesn’t achieve this aim. I think all we can hope for is that the reality is not as bad as models predict.

This is also why I think demolishing our economy in the name of cc is a poorly thought through strategy.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Who mentioned China? Not me you doofus.

What is your suggestion smart arse? The predictable response of deniers losing the argument is to then revert to "population is the problem" argument. Then you suggest we need to work to reduce the birth rate and you get some straw man b***s*** about China.

What are you suggesting? We cull the population?

DS
You're the one that was rabbiting on about reducing the birth rate n there's only one country I know of that had a serious crack at it n they seriously *smile* it up.

Used to have plenty of big fat messy wars n massive plagues to keep the population somewhat under control. Now the only thing we got is a few car crashes, septics with to many guns n old age. Culling population would be a brilliant way of controlling the human plague, but we all know that's not gunna happen, we struggle to even permit a handful of suffering people to apply for euthanasia.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Well it’s pretty clear that what the world community is allowing doesn’t achieve this aim. I think all we can hope for is that the reality is not as bad as models predict.

Yes, the world community is failing.
Hope is not a strategy.

This is also why I think demolishing our economy in the name of cc is a poorly thought through strategy.

We've seen in the last that even small problems disrupt economies massively. If ecosystems start to collapse, impacting on water/agriculture/healthwhat do you think will happen to economies?

You say change is a poor strategy - doing nothing is worse.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You're the one that was rabbiting on about reducing the birth rate n there's only one country I know of that had a serious crack at it n they seriously ****** it up.

Other countries have had a crack at doing it in a sustainable way, by trying to reduce poverty and by increasing levels of education amongst females.

Those that agree reducing the rate of population growth is key should be strongly advocating for increased foreign aid budget. And should be strongly against Trump's push to deny financial support to any aid organization that supports women's access to birth control.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Educating girls better in developing countries is a key factor in reducing fertility rates.

Reactions: 2 users

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Yes, the world community is failing.
Hope is not a strategy.

We've seen in the last that even small problems disrupt economies massively. If ecosystems start to collapse, impacting on water/agriculture/healthwhat do you think will happen to economies?

You say change is a poor strategy - doing nothing is worse.

I’m not advocating doing nothing I’m advocating continuing do what we are doing: meeting our Paris Agreement obligations. This is doing much more than most nations.

I’m saying that the radical policies of the left which can potentially destroy our economy with no benefit to the climate whatsoever are poorly thought through and unwarranted.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I’m not advocating doing nothing I’m advocating continuing do what we are doing: meeting our Paris Agreement obligations. This is doing much more than most nations.

We ain't meeting them. Scummo is using very dodgy accounting practices using phony "savings" we made under the ETS system to compensate for going over the cap now. Many countries are way ahead of us. What is our government actually doing to reduce emmissions? Abbott's "Direct Action" failed and I haven't seen much from the LNP since.

The Paris Agreement is one thing but it will not save us, far from it. We are still nearly the highest global emitter per capita - and we export coal and LNG which pushes our responsibility even higher.

I’m saying that the radical policies of the left which can potentially destroy our economy with no benefit to the climate whatsoever are poorly thought through and unwarranted.

What are these radical leftist policies you speak of? How will they "destroy" the economy? Smart countries are pushing ahead with changing energy mix and develop better tech, and getting richer by doing so. Are they "left" in the sense they advocate actually doing something rather than saying "it's all too hard, let's do nothing and wait".

That's nihilism. Thinking people whether of a religious or ethical persuasion have a duty of care to our children, and our children's children. Doing the same thing as we are doing won't cut it.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
We ain't meeting them. Scummo is using very dodgy accounting practices using phony "savings" we made under the ETS system to compensate for going over the cap now. Many countries are way ahead of us. What is our government actually doing to reduce emmissions? Abbott's "Direct Action" failed and I haven't seen much from the LNP since.

The Paris Agreement is one thing but it will not save us, far from it. We are still nearly the highest global emitter per capita - and we export coal and LNG which pushes our responsibility even higher.

One man's 'dodgy accounting practices' are another's legitimate carbon credits. Why are Countries like New Zealand are selling hectares of forestry projects as carbon credits to the highest bidders.? If this is legitimate practice for other countries why not us? Some countries are ahead but most are well behind - including the three biggest emitters in the world. As far as lowering emissions you have government subsidies to rooftop solar and large renewables projects like the Tennant Ck solar array. We are also closing coal fired power stations and not re-opening them. We are also world class producers of LNG which has lower emissions than coal.

We are only responsible for our own emissions not those of other countries.

What are these radical leftist policies you speak of? How will they "destroy" the economy? Smart countries are pushing ahead with changing energy mix and develop better tech, and getting richer by doing so. Are they "left" in the sense they advocate actually doing something rather than saying "it's all too hard, let's do nothing and wait".

That's nihilism. Thinking people whether of a religious or ethical persuasion have a duty of care to our children, and our children's children. Doing the same thing as we are doing won't cut it.
The anti-Australian policies that will gut our most valuable industries like coal and agriculture. Nonsense ideas that the billions these produce will be replaced by some pie in the sky future renewables projects. From my perspective the only thing the leftist policies being advocated by the greens and others is a weaker Australia with no change in worldwide emissions.

I might be more inclined to support more radical measures if there was any chance of them working. As fare as duty of care is concerned we will be far better of leaving our children & grandchildren a strong an prosperous Australia which will be far better equipped to face the challenges of the future.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
- and we export coal and LNG which pushes our responsibility even higher.
If we didn't export them n a few other bits n pieces, how long do you reckon it might be before someone else simply came along n took them? Or just as bad, we handed the whole circus over anyway because we were completely skint.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
If you have a philosophical position I've yet to see any evidence of it.
I have solar panels.
I own a hybrid sedan.
I drink scotch.
The world is overpopulated.
I support Government Schools.
Australia is not the fall guy for CC.
I am glad Shorten lost.
I dislike protesters and people who are blatant hypocrites.
The only way you can truely reduce human induced CC is to check out.
Not overly philosophical but hey..........