Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
Given we've seen how perilously fragile society is when interrupted I wonder if those in power will start to listen to the scientists warning about our rapidly changing climate.

As my 15 year old son wisely pointed out this week..

'Dad how come Government can get everyone to radically change their behaviour re coronavirus to protect people but they can't/won't get people to make changes to protect the planet re climate change?'

He figured it was because those in power are most effected by this right now but they'll all be dead when his generation feels the effect of climate change.

His concerns make sense to me.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
good post, especially this bit. its interesting to note that the most COVID-19 cases in Victoria come from the more affluent areas. they probably think they're invincible and are more likely to be CC denialists as well
Interestingly the electorates of Kooyong and Higgins which cover much of Stonnington and Boroondara councils (which have been the places where COVID is the highest) have a quite strong green vote.
Different people I guess, maybe it's the younger generation voting green in those electorates?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Given we've seen how perilously fragile society is when interrupted I wonder if those in power will start to listen to the scientists warning about our rapidly changing climate.

'Dad how come Government can get everyone to radically change their behaviour re coronavirus to protect people but they can't/won't get people to make changes to protect the planet re climate change?'

He figured it was because those in power are most effected by this right now but they'll all be dead when his generation feels the effect of climate change.

His concerns make sense to me.
spot on! Although he is going a bit easy on the Government, its not just that they can't or won't, they are actively impeding substantive change to protect the environment by denying and talking down the evidence. Actually now I think about it its even worse, policies that promote and subsidise new coal mines accelerate destruction of the environment.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Yep, mouths of babes huh?

I was watching Sco-Mo banging on in a presser about schools and he kept repeating the expert advice is it is safe for them to be open.

Miss 15 chimes straight in with how come he only listens to the experts when it suits him.

Reactions: 6 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Anyone seen Planet of the Humans? Doesn’t paint a rosy picture for green energy, even from an anti-capitalist, pro-environmentalism perspective.

Reactions: 1 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Please tell me the threat of COVID-19 isn't being equated to the threat of climate change...?!

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Anyone seen Planet of the Humans? Doesn’t paint a rosy picture for green energy, even from an anti-capitalist, pro-environmentalism perspective.
Apparently the film was mostly made around 2011 and the data hasn't been updated since then.

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
Please tell me the threat of COVID-19 isn't being equated to the threat of climate change...?!
How about this - COVID-19 has been observed attaching to fine particulate pollution in the air allowing it to hover in the breathable atmosphere for longer, so yeah, pollution, which causes climate change, is also potentially (needs peer review) causing the further spread of COVID-19:

But knowing "people", we will do 10 years of research, then the Murdoch media via it's brigade of Andrew Bolt puppets will poo-poo the results, governments will decide that they will stay in power in the short term if they put jobs and the economy ahead of reducing pollution and there will be no change to current processes. As a species, we are currently getting dealt precisely what we have earned.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Melbourne is about to complete a cold April, on the back of its cold March and cold February.

April avg: 19.5 (-1.6 on 30-year average)
March avg: 22.9 (-1.7)
February avg 24.4 (-2.5)

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
The threat of climate change is way way more significant, damaging and permanent. If longer term and less acute.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Melbourne is about to complete a cold April, on the back of its cold March and cold February.

April avg: 19.5 (-1.6 on 30-year average)
March avg: 22.9 (-1.7)
February avg 24.4 (-2.5)

Meanwhile October, December and January were above average while November was close to average.

This is why it is called climate change not weather change. A month here or there in one location does not make a trend, and you well know this.

Are you doubting the scientific analysis of climate change? But still believe the scientists on COVID?

One could do way more cherry picking and criticising models etc on the current pandemic (look, the new cases in the USA are down for the last 3 days, it's all a hoax, it didn't follow the model etc etc ad nauseum). But you would have to be brain dead to do that. We need to act on the best information and analysis we have in relation to COVID19. We need to do the same in relation to Climate Change.

DS

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There is a fair amount of crap in the film most definitely.
It gets it's data on energy taken to produce renewable tech in terms of energy produced in terms of whole of product lifespan horribly wrong. No surprise, since it wants to make the point below.

Where it gets some stuff right (I've read, haven't watched it yet) is in terms of the fundamental incompatibility of an economic system predicated on theoretical unlimited natural resources and permanent growth, and a damaged/dead ecosystem. That's unsustainable.

It is amusing to see the RW/CC deniers champion this film since it basically calls for the abolition of capitalism/industrial society.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It gets it's data on energy taken to produce renewable tech in terms of energy produced in terms of whole of product lifespan horribly wrong. No surprise, since it wants to make the point below.

Where it gets some stuff right (I've read, haven't watched it yet) is in terms of the fundamental incompatibility of an economic system predicated on theoretical unlimited natural resources and permanent growth, and a damaged/dead ecosystem. That's unsustainable.

It is amusing to see the RW/CC deniers champion this film since it basically calls for the abolition of capitalism/industrial society.
the RW/CC deniers have always blindly followed Michael Moore.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

It does a good job of pointing out green energy is not really doing anything to help CC, and does a good job of taking down some snake oil salesman like Al Gore. It’s malthusian overpopulation argument has been debunked years ago as has it’s anti-capitalist message.