Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
By what metric? Visible pollution is lower. Nothing else is much changed.
Carbon emmissions will definitely be reduced this year due to the virus.
I wonder how they would measure it's impact on the environment?
Be a good litmus test if they could.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Carbon emmissions will definitely be reduced this year due to the virus.
I wonder how they would measure it's impact on the environment?
Be a good litmus test if they could.
Good article here on the drop in CO2 emissions.

If we could sustain this drop in emissions somehow post-pandemic it actually would have a beneficial effect - but we'd still need to cut emissions by the same amount every year for the next decade in order to acheive the Paris goal of 1.5 degrees warming.

Of course that won't happen - economies will ramp up again and CO2 content in the atmosphere will continue to increase. We will live in a different world in the second half of this century, even if we manage to solve power/consumption/agriculture/pandemic/destruction of ecosystem problems.

Will this brief intermission have any effect on the environment? Some, but not much. We are still adding CO2 to the atmosphere, just at a slightly reduced rate. We've seen a nice impact on visible pollution. We've seen animals returning to areas they don't normally go due to the reduced human activity. All these things are temporary.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No new cases of COVID19 in South Australia for 9 days.

So:
  • This must be a hoax cooked up by scientists.
  • The epidemiologists are conspiring to increase their research funding
  • Viruses are always around, we have the flu go around every year.
We can all cherry pick if we like.

But it's still bollocks.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
Looks like fossil fuels really are on the way out, thanks to market forces:

And before the conservative right wingers get in to sook about "well how do you suppose we are going to stay rich unless we do the same old same old?", here's the plan for Australia's future:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2003
Chirnside Park
www.planetecho.com.au
Looks like fossil fuels really are on the way out, thanks to market forces:

And before the conservative right wingers get in to sook about "well how do you suppose we are going to stay rich unless we do the same old same old?", here's the plan for Australia's future:

Michael Moore: Planet of the Humans

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
wasn't it good, Norwegian oil....
its catchy but I just cant seem to get it right

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users