Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Whereas cherry picking an outlier (eg, 1998) as your base year is all fine, along with the very strange 13 month rolling average (wonder how many they tried before they spat out something which fitted their pre-decided narrative).

It's warming, bushfire events are getting worse, I read an article today about someone who lives in Washington talking about regular snow in winter when they were a kid but no more, surface temperatures are rising and most of the warming goes into the ocean. 1998 was the great hope for the deniers, it was an outlier . . . that is until the trend caught up and now 1998 is barely in the top 10 of warmest years (can't remember if it is still there).

Not only is the evidence of climate change overwhelming, so is the stupidity of the deniers.

As I explained to you previously, the 13-month average is used to smooth out seasonal variations in a 12-month calendar. Other sources use a 25-month rolling average for the same purpose. But continue ranting.

1998 is still right up there.

UAH_LT_1979_thru_August_2020_v6.jpg

PS "denier" is not the opposite of "alarmist". Beginning to think you're a really nasty little lefty. Have you pulled any famous statues down lately?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
1998 is only still right up there on your cherry picked data source.

20202019EOYGlobalTemps_Top10_en_title_lg_900_506_s_c1_c_c.jpg

It is warming and the impact is happening now, all of your deflections and attempts to downplay this just deflect from the action we need to take now.

FFS the current government wants to subsidise fossil fuels like gas as some sort of clean energy.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hotter days are getting more common, colder days are getting less common.

Look at the bell curve for the distribution of hotter and colder days (Northern Hemisphere land temperatures) since mid 20th century.

20200706_ShiftingBellCurvesUpdated.jpg

That is a big shift, climate change isn't something that will happen in the future, it is happening now.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Arctic is melting, summer sea ice has dropped almost 80% since 1979:

Yeah, nothing to worry about I suppose.

DS

• Angry

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
^^ "Ursula Fuentes-Hutfilter, a senior policy adviser with Climate Analytics, said..."

Shouldn't she be making a Bond movie? Or cooking someone's dinner?

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well I certainly hope the climate goals are within reach.

We have just had the hottest November on record, and this in a La Nina year:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12...november-and-spring-nights-on-record/12937620

Climate change is happening now and Australia needs to join the rest of the world in aiming for carbon neutral in 2015 at the latest. FFS this country can do it easier than most as we have more opportunities than most to build clean energy. It can also be a major export in the future. Talk about missing the boat, and all because some morons think they know better than those who have been researching this for decades.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Imagine how hot it would be if there were planes in the air and cars on the road and industry not shut down?

Virus restrictions have had no impact on the escalation of CO2 concentration. None. What amount of sacrifice is required to register?

October 2018 406.00ppm
October 2019 408.52ppm +2.52
October 2020 411.28ppm +2.76

https://www.co2.earth/monthly-co2

Time to broaden research and start looking in the right places instead of focusing everything on man's minor contribution. It's like the search for MH370.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Imagine how hot it would be if there were planes in the air and cars on the road and industry not shut down?

Virus restrictions have had no impact on the escalation of CO2 concentration. None. What amount of sacrifice is required to register?

October 2018 406.00ppm
October 2019 408.52ppm +2.52
October 2020 411.28ppm +2.76

https://www.co2.earth/monthly-co2

Time to broaden research and start looking in the right places instead of focusing everything on man's minor contribution. It's like the search for MH370.

We are still adding CO2, just slightly less of it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We are still adding CO2, just slightly less of it.
9% less in the first half of 2020. A bigger downturn than during WW2 or any prior economic crisis.

Environmentalists would be rapt if we could decrease emissions by 9% in one hit through being smarter about the way we do things, but the jury is out on cost/benefit.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
9% less in the first half of 2020. A bigger downturn than during WW2 or any prior economic crisis.

Environmentalists would be rapt if we could decrease emissions by 9% in one hit through being smarter about the way we do things, but the jury is out on cost/benefit.

And yet year on year on year we keep adding more at increasing rates. So our 2019 rates were around 43 billion tons. Take off 9% of that so we might end up at 39 billion tons.

Which is still a *smile* load higher than 2016 where all human activities released 36 billion tons.

Anyone expecting CO2 levels to miraculously fall because we released 39 billion tons instead of 43 billion tons is frankly, an idiot.

On your last point, if we could reduce systemically by 9% year on year yes, over time it would make a difference. It's the old "We can't do much now so better we do nothing, or, I know, let's keep making it worse". What's the cost benefit on that equation I wonder?

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Anyone expecting CO2 levels to miraculously fall because we released 39 billion tons instead of 43 billion tons is frankly, an idiot.
Maybe, but I would've expected to see some sort of slowdown. Something. Anything.

Have looked on the web for a scientific explanation but nobody seems to have seriously confronted it.
On your last point, if we could reduce systemically by 9% year on year yes, over time it would make a difference. It's the old "We can't do much now so better we do nothing, or, I know, let's keep making it worse". What's the cost benefit on that equation I wonder?
My point was that we did do something, even if it was forced upon us. Something substantial, for no visible benefit.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Maybe, but I would've expected to see some sort of slowdown. Something. Anything.

Have looked on the web for a scientific explanation but nobody seems to have seriously confronted it.

My point was that we did do something, even if it was forced upon us. Something substantial, for no visible benefit.
Given our total coal/gas generated power is less than one tenth of that China has built this year alone any contribution we make to lowering overall emissions will be lost in the numbers.
This will become even more so as China replaces low ash/low sulphur Australian coal with rubbish they buy from Indonesia, Russia and from domestic sources.
That's not saying we don't need to wean ourselves off coal but quite frankly anyone who believes we can have an impact on overall worldwide emissions is, by definition, an idiot.
We need to start getting ourselves sorted out for a thorium/hydrogen future and we ned to start that now.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Well I certainly hope the climate goals are within reach.

We have just had the hottest November on record, and this in a La Nina year:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12...november-and-spring-nights-on-record/12937620

Climate change is happening now and Australia needs to join the rest of the world in aiming for carbon neutral in 2015 at the latest. FFS this country can do it easier than most as we have more opportunities than most to build clean energy. It can also be a major export in the future. Talk about missing the boat, and all because some morons think they know better than those who have been researching this for decades.

DS
I doubt we're going to do too much by 2015?????

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Not sure that no policy is no worse than having a fraudulent policy.
Lots of countries "signing up" to be carbon neutral by 2050 but the biggest overall emitters have no chance of achieving it because they aren't even attempting to.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Given our total coal/gas generated power is less than one tenth of that China has built this year alone any contribution we make to lowering overall emissions will be lost in the numbers.
That goes without saying. But if we comply and follow the UN narrative by being good world citizens at enormous cost to ourselves, we need to be sure there is a measurable benefit.