Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
No I don't *smile* make things up. You should at least *smile* know that much you smarmy little *smile* *smile*.

You know what you lot are? *smile* zealots.

Not sure where they get 3 reactors from, unless as DSS says it includes plans.

The two that are "under construction" in Japan, construction started prior to the 2011 meltdown. There hasn't been much construction work since 2011.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No I don't *smile* make things up. You should at least *smile* know that much you smarmy little *smile* *smile*.

You know what you lot are? *smile* zealots.

If you can build a safe nuclear plant in Australia within a year, with no decommisioning costs and no waste storage costs, that is comparable in ROI for renewables - eg offshore wind for example - get back to me.

Let's base things on facts, not right-wing talking points and personal abuse.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
If we are taking a guide from the USA then its like asking pie supporters about dentistry.
With their dysfunctional and highly biased politics, market driven and short sighted outlook, state and federal disconnect, and sheer utter disdain for public support of all citizens, the US aint the world leaders for energy production.
In other words if dont work in Minnesota it dont mean much

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They've been around for 70 years. Other countries have managed to store the waste safely, and we have plenty of space.

Only one country, Finland, is attempting to build a long term waste facility. No country has yet worked out a safe way to store nuclear waste for the length of time it is toxic and radioactive.

The waste is not stored safely, most of it is stored on the sites of the nuclear power stations because they have no solution.

Nuclear waste is toxic for thousands of years, some of it for tens of thousands of years.

What is the logic of very expensive power, for 50 years if you're lucky, followed by very expensive waste disposal for thousands of years?

It just makes no sense.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There is no money tree.

Bury the waste a kilomtre underground like other countries do.

Other countries do not do this, stop making things up.

In any case, how is building a kilometre underground waste storage facility viable, how are you going to pay for it? Does the nuclear industry have a money tree?

While arguing the insanity of nuclear power is a nice distraction, especially when the arguments for nuclear are so weak, this is the global warming thread and global warming continues apace, here is the temperature record to late 2020 (around October):

www.carbonbrief.orgAnnual-global-mean-surfac-2b747bd00bda01865aac9e6ad7652c05ebf2d8c7.png

There's a trend there and it is getting warmer.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Nuclear Power Would Stabilize the Australian Power Grid

While the situation in Texas shows us the necessity of a resilient grid with a high peak capacity and a healthy mixture of energy resources, Australia has been ruminating on a decision that would allow the country to utilize one of its most abundant natural resources. As one of the world’s foremost uranium producing countries, it is strange that Australia does not use uranium for nuclear power production.

Australia does not have any nuclear power stations, and has never had one. Australia has 29 percent of the world’s easily recoverable uranium resources (procured for less than $130 per Kilogram). That is 1.174 million tons of uranium. In 2019, Australia was the world’s third largest producer of uranium after Kazakhstan and Canada.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's happening, look it up.

France also recycles its radioactive waste and is able to recover 96% of usable material.

Just like renewables, advances in nuclear technology continue apace.

Nuclear is on the table. Deal with it.

It's happening, really?

Ok, give me an example of 1 long term nuclear waste facility where nuclear waste is currently (or in the past) being buried a kilometre underground.

France may claim to "recycle" radioactive waste, in nuclear terms this is called reprocessing and actually, according to the US Department of Energy, leads to more radioactive waste.

Nuclear technology does not continue apace: fusion has been 20 years away for, what, 50 years? The current reactor technology is very similar to reactors built decades ago, fast breeder reactors are still very problematic and very few in number. Thorium reactors remain a pipe dream and would still produce high-level radioactive waste.

Nuclear is not on the table in Australia, is not expanding (even the article you linked to claimed 54 nuclear reactors under construction, but also pointed to 186 being shut down permanently) Nuclear power is no solution to climate change, leaves us with a tens of thousands of years legacy of toxic radioactive waste, and, in any case, is contracting not expanding.

Deal with it.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Do your own research. Look up Schacht Konrad. Then Mizunami, Gansu and Oskarshamn, among others.

tWaC1XmvgWDlh76O2wLn7L5nAQzkLKwNJXYPsLfMkSC04gdY4GP4u8oPoV740ijd2d3Hc6EoJRSv7ZLFBvYF9LUnaCItej3dHlZl6QL82UUVG9ZYxfRSFe4

Ok

Schacht Konrad: disused mine proposed to be used for low level waste. Studies on using this mine for waste started in 1975, yet still not being used, so it has taken 45 years so far. Impressively quick I must say.

Mizunami Gansu: still being built. We'll see if this is geologically stable over 10s of thousands of years in a geologically active zone.

Oskarshamn: low level waste is being stored in Sweden and Oskashamn is one of 2 locations which are potential candidates for high level waste.

Not seeing any current or past facilities for the long term safe storage of high level nuclear waste which is toxic for 10s of thousands of years.

Nuclear has had 70 years to solve this, it has not done so.

Nuclear ain't ready.

Deal with it.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Im confused why the Libs and Nats are even talking about nuclear. Its not like climate change is real. and coal is essential to jobs. and we have enough coal that we dont need to look at alternatives.

Lee, maybe you can suggest what need nuclear will meet?