Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What do you think about the charge?
And what does your man Michael think should happen?
I'm not sure what to think as I don't know the reasoning, unless it's an assumption that early adopters have money. Maybe it's a precursor to a 5 cent charge on petrol vehicles? That will get Disabled Dan hung from a Treasury Gardens tree.

Very rarely hear from O'Brien on anything.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'm not sure what to think as I don't know the reasoning, unless it's an assumption that early adopters have money. Maybe it's a precursor to a 5 cent charge on petrol vehicles? That will get Disabled Dan hung from a Treasury Gardens tree.

Very rarely hear from O'Brien on anything.
The reasoning is that people pay tax when buying fuel which then pays for road maintenance, and the belief that making electric vehicle owners contribute to this is more important than encouraging people to drive emissions free vehicles.

Im sure O'Brien opposes the tax.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
1.6 degrees, apparent temperature -0.1. There should've been some sort of weather warning about this, cold being rather deadlier than heat.

4D2tak7.jpg

Forget about toilet paper, people should be stockpiling coal before the greenies succeed in banning it.

RFC's official colours should be updated to sunshine and coal. They're good for the soul.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Melbourne shivers through coldest May morning in 70 years (paywalled)

Melbourne has shivered through its coldest May morning in more than 70 years, the Bureau of Meteorology said on Sunday.
Temperatures fell to 1.7C, which is the lowest for the city since mid last century.

It was the coldest May morning since 1949. But the coldest on record was May 29 in 1916 when temperatures plummeted to -1.1C.

The BOM posted to Twitter on Sunday saying, “if you are less than 71 years and 364 days old, it is the coldest May Melbourne morning in your lifetime.”

It was a frosty morning across southeast Australia, with many inland places plunging well below zero and Adelaide also dipping to 3.5C — the equal coldest May morning since 1927.

Some of the lowest overnight minimums included:
  • 6.2C at Mt Hotham, Vic
  • 5.2C at Mt Hope, NSW
  • 4.9C at Omeo, Vic
  • 4.8C at Yunta, SA
  • 4.7C at Rutherglen, Vic
  • 4.4C at Naracoorte, SA
  • 4.3C at Horsham, Vic
  • 4.1C at Murray Bridge, SA
  • 4.1C at Canberra, ACT
  • 3.9C at Condobolin, NSW
  • 3.6C at Fingal, Tas
  • -.3C at Launceston, Tas
It is expected to reach a high of 14C in Melbourne on Sunday, with a maximum of 17C in Adelaide, 18C in Sydney, 22C in Brisbane, 19C in Perth, 13C in Hobart, 14c in Canberra and 31C in Darwin.

Meanwhile, the La Nina weather pattern that caused a cool and rainy summer in Australia is on its way out.

This winter is predicted to be warmer across much of Australia, with a bushfire risk in some areas.

- - - - -

My nearest station Viewbank recorded -0.2 (apparent temp -3.9) around 5:30am.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Seemed to be a leading, if not the first, story on ABC radio news today.

I figure that the storms have really battered the power lines, it can take time to fix them.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Seemed to be a leading, if not the first, story on ABC radio news today.

I figure that the storms have really battered the power lines, it can take time to fix them.

DS

yep, power lines down and power infrastructure damage all over the hills. You can't just fix that in a few days.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Scott Base crew enduring near-record breaking Antarctica winter - 10C colder than usual

Spare a thought for the hardy crew who are wintering down in Antarctica, experiencing near-record breaking cold temperatures.

They've come very near to the coldest ever recorded temperature of -89.6C.

While it may have been -16C when Newshub spoke with the Scott Base crew - that's almost balmy conditions compared to the -81.7C recorded on the icy continent this week.

Antarctica New Zealand science tech Jamie McGaw says he "can't even imagine that extreme cold".

"I mean, the coldest I've experienced here is like, even in wind chill, is the -60Cs and that is pain, that is any bare skin exposed is like it's on fire. So somewhere where it's -80C? I would not like to be there."

He's luckily 2400km away at Scott Base, but still enduring an unseasonably cold winter.

The continent's average temperature has been 10C colder than usual - all down to a polar vortex.