Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Any argument picking out local highs or lows is *smile*. It’s a global climate not a local climate. Maybe that is the point you are both making. ?

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Scott Base crew enduring near-record breaking Antarctica winter - 10C colder than usual

Spare a thought for the hardy crew who are wintering down in Antarctica, experiencing near-record breaking cold temperatures.

They've come very near to the coldest ever recorded temperature of -89.6C.

While it may have been -16C when Newshub spoke with the Scott Base crew - that's almost balmy conditions compared to the -81.7C recorded on the icy continent this week.

Antarctica New Zealand science tech Jamie McGaw says he "can't even imagine that extreme cold".

"I mean, the coldest I've experienced here is like, even in wind chill, is the -60Cs and that is pain, that is any bare skin exposed is like it's on fire. So somewhere where it's -80C? I would not like to be there."

He's luckily 2400km away at Scott Base, but still enduring an unseasonably cold winter.

The continent's average temperature has been 10C colder than usual - all down to a polar vortex.
good article. more extremes in temperature, and weather conditions. the climate is changing.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Any argument picking out local highs or lows is *smile*. It’s a global climate not a local climate. Maybe that is the point you are both making. ?

To some extent you are right, however, the point of the Yale article is that they are predicting record high temperatures so early in summer. The Antarctic temperatures cited above are 8 degrees away from a cold record.

Chalk and cheese really. Yes it is cold early in winter in Antarctica, but not really out of the ordinary to have a cold snap and not close to a record. In North America they are looking at all time records, not just a bit warmer than usual, and early in summer.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, the debate over local vs global is done to death really, especially as we are seeing more extremes in both hot and cold in various places.

I'm super-pessimistic about long term outcomes now. A carbon neutral planet by 2050 will be essentially too late and we'll have a 1 or 2 degree climate shift by the end of the century, minimum. It could be higher if other tipping points are reached in terms of changing planetary albedo, release of methane from arctic areas, loss of carbon sinks due to deforestation, ocean warming etc.

Future generations will have to live with a hotter, drier climate, and this will have major impacts on agriculture, spread of tropical diseases, increased conflicts over land and water, increased refugee movements.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
To some extent you are right, however, the point of the Yale article is that they are predicting record high temperatures so early in summer. The Antarctic temperatures cited above are 8 degrees away from a cold record.
Could've posted about Greenland's record daily snowfall during melt season on June 24, but chose that one instead given it covers "winter" rather than a single day. If Melbourne's winter was 10 degrees colder than normal, people would be dropping faster than you could bury them.

I'm sure there are other recent cold records out there.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Could've posted about Greenland's record daily snowfall during melt season on June 24, but chose that one instead given it covers "winter" rather than a single day. If Melbourne's winter was 10 degrees colder than normal, people would be dropping faster than you could bury them.

I'm sure there are other recent cold records out there.

We all know the cold records are way below warm records, but knock yourself out and try and find some.

8_10_16_Andrea_2016RecordsRatios_Decades_EDITORIAL.jpg

This is reflected in the number of record hot days versus the number of record cold days, this is only the USA but somewhere out there must be info for the whole planet:

2019Records_percent_CONUS_900_506_s_c1_c_c.jpg

There's a clear trend there but I'm sure you can find some cherry picked cold records, its just that one does not have to cherry pick to find hot records.

Good luck.

By the way, switching to snowfall records is a nice try, but you started with temperatures, by shifting to some other measure, you are flailing around to make the facts fit your hypothesis.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We all know the cold records are way below warm records, but knock yourself out and try and find some.
So what you're saying is, "climate change" is still "global warming".

You threw out a random tidbit and got countered. I think you should give up rather than repeating the same old stuff.

The whole movement is really losing steam, Greta has fallen silent and more people are questioning the narrative, if not outright mocking it. The world can't keep giving China a free swing without people saying WTF?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Only responded in kind to a slice of propaganda.

You're only posting to contradict everything I post. Reckon things will be better if you go back on ignore.

No mate, I still post as much to the Corona thread as I ever did. Your problems are your own, deal with them.

Meanwhile you jump in to respond to whatever I post, but I suppose that's OK. Take your own advice for once.

1624865029912.png

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well, some may see facts as propaganda but that is more of a reflection on the person ignoring the facts than anything else. The bluster about being called out for trying to change the discussion from temperature to snowfall because the facts don't fit your hypothesis is revealing. Flailing around again I see.

Climate change is complex, but, yes, in the main it is warming. We all know this but some are too blinkered to see what is going on right in front of their eyes.

The thing is, this keeps happening:

2021Covid_Emissions_en_title_lg_900_506_s_c1_c_c.jpg

Which leads to this:

2021_2020EOYGlobalTemp_Anomalies_en_title_lg_900_506_s_c1_c_c.jpg

Everybody knows this, but some still seem to want to deny.

DS

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Would love to see Australia do more on climate change. I’m proud to have solar like to buy very efficient products. I also do my best to do the right with the household rubbish with the 4 different types of bins that we have.

Also I’m proud to know that things like glass is being crushed and used on our roads, so we are not putting these into landfill.

What I would now like is power plants that are powered by burning rubbish like in Europe. We need a reliable base load for power as the renewables won’t and don’t cope.

But what I can’t seem to accept is that the world turns a blind eye to China and their actions. Their fishing fleets, construction of coal powered plants their air quality are all major issues. What are the countries that are more progressive than us doing to help China on their course to a more sustainable climate model?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well if Australia turns around and attempts to tell China to stop emitting CO2, they will simply reply - we have a goal to get to net zero by 2060, you have no goal. China might also reply that, yes, they are building coal fired power stations, but this is viable because countries including Australia are willing to sell them coal on the cheap.

Why would anyone listen to Australia when it comes to coal? We are one of the worlds biggest coal exporters, along with gas - both fossil fuels which contribute to climate change.

Any representation Australia makes to China on climate change is weakened by our own inaction. We have possibly the best country in the world to set up renewables. The UK can power their whole country with just wind if they build enough off shore wind farms, imagine what we could do with off shore wind, on shore wind, solar, solar collecting, tidal and hydro power? We need to fix our own problems, then we might have some credibility to tell others to behave.

As for the over-fishing, this is a huge problem, especially in international waters but also in more remote locations as the above article shows. The only way this gets fixed is by international action, which is long overdue.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
China might also reply that, yes, they are building coal fired power stations, but this is viable because countries including Australia are willing to sell them coal on the cheap.
What a completely bonkers argument. They're investing in coal because while they're growing stronger, we're (the west) growing weaker. They're taking the 2030 leeway and making every post a winner.

If they were fair dinkum on CO2 they'd simply cancel the market, like they've done with various other Australian exports.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What a completely bonkers argument. They're investing in coal because while they're growing stronger, we're (the west) growing weaker. They're taking the 2030 leeway and making every post a winner.

If they were fair dinkum on CO2 they'd simply cancel the market, like they've done with various other Australian exports.

Not bonkers at all, why give someone you want to criticise ammunition to completely blow your argument out of the water?

If we were fair dinkum on CO2 we would phase out coal fired power and fossil fuel exports.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not bonkers at all, why give someone you want to criticise ammunition to completely blow your argument out of the water?

If we were fair dinkum on CO2 we would phase out coal fired power and fossil fuel exports.
What ammunition? You've just taken an opportunity to make excuses for China.

We're not fair dinkum. The world is only half-convinced about climate change, otherwise it wouldn't allow the CO2 situation to be going backwards at a rate of knots. If they believed there really was an emergency, there'd be the equivalent of a COVID lockdown on emissions and restrictions imposed on the likes of China and India.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne

DS

Lets be truly fair dinkum, why should Aust phase them out. Aust footprint on CO2 is so small its irrelevant. China with 184 coal plants being rushed is the issue + others they(China) are setting up in other countries. They are increasing CO2 in recent yrs. Who is going to stop them. No-one. Those long term targets what 2050 - 2060 are just laughable

What was it, forget which city in China equalled the whole of Australia's CO2. The over fishing as already metntioned of our oceans are the key issues that should be tackled. The crap that gets dumped in our oceans is beyond a joke. Tackle that not plastic straws.

Viable & large employment options in providing power alternatives and infrastructures need to be in place before any considerations of a phase out imo. Or even look at making the coal plants more efficient in CO2 emissions and greener. Mining is mining, to me its irrelevant its for precious metals or coal. Same. Its making the use of coal safer might be the better options.

Last edited: