Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
With western oil companies getting out of JV arrangements with Russian oil, expect worse enviro outcomes given who will replace them will no doubt care less about such things. Also with west looking to exit their reliance on Russian fossil fuels, they will have to ramp up their own production. The energy transition in the west has been dealt a big blow.

Russia didn't sign up to any improvements in methane reductions at COP26 so I don't really get what you mean when you say "others that no doubt care less about such things". Its hardly like Russia is a pioneer in renewables like solar / wind (only 0.2% of their power generation is from this source).

The West will need to identify gas solutions if they remove Russian production which will likely increase the cost of gas input into the energy grid, which actually will help to provide greater economical benefits to a push into renewables as it will increase the cost of gas energy generation, perhaps to the point where renewables are a far better economic investment than gas.

This doesn't take away the short term impacts but I'm not sure its as negative as you have portrayed.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Russia didn't sign up to any improvements in methane reductions at COP26 so I don't really get what you mean when you say "others that no doubt care less about such things". Its hardly like Russia is a pioneer in renewables like solar / wind (only 0.2% of their power generation is from this source).

The West will need to identify gas solutions if they remove Russian production which will likely increase the cost of gas input into the energy grid, which actually will help to provide greater economical benefits to a push into renewables as it will increase the cost of gas energy generation, perhaps to the point where renewables are a far better economic investment than gas.

This doesn't take away the short term impacts but I'm not sure its as negative as you have portrayed.
The western JV partners certainly have, so now they won't be looking to offset any of the CO2 from this Russian production. Also enviro outcomes includes more than just CO2 emissions.

In order for the energy transition to work (I mean as a hypothetic exercise), an enormous amount of capital will need to be used to replace fossil fuel energy sources. This change with Russia will lead to a much poorer Europe and much less capital to invest in such ventures, especially as more will need to be invested into fossil fuel production. Energy transition has been dealt a blow.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Countries cannot afford large scale disasters every couple of years. The devastation of these floods will be felt by all Australians.

it feels a bit like Bangladesh or PNG up here Oldy.

rural perspective = rivers changed course, hills crumbled into valleys, lot of cows and fences and our country hall that has stood for 120 years gone

its my first proper disaster. my read on the landscape is its probably beyond 1-200 years?

im lucky

I dont really buy the 'they should have told us' line though from people on mops (I buy it from people in major shock I suppose)

if you need them to text you a big floods coming when its pissed down for 3 months solid, then it pisses down harder than you've ever seen, and theres a big red blob swirling on top of you on the radar,

then god help you, literally.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
it feels a bit like Bangladesh or PNG up here Oldy.

rural perspective = rivers changed course, hills crumbled into valleys, lot of cows and fences and our country hall that has stood for 120 years gone

its my first proper disaster.

im lucky
For a few years now it's felt like climate is creeping from the North to the south. Worrying times.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
For a few years now it's felt like climate is creeping from the North to the south. Worrying times.

Has felt pretty bloody tropical in Melbourne this summer.

Oh well, I suppose we have to get used to it because, you know, the endless growth economy demands it and we are all servants to the deity commonly known as The Economy.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

it certainly feels like an el Nino or la Nina used to come along every 10 years.

now they seem to tag team annually?

I dunno

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ya can send some of that wet stuff down to Melb if you like, instead of hogging it all for yourselves up North.
Managed all of about 6 mils of rain for Feb, ave is about 48 mils. Jane's had her Bunns out spruiking rain for days n we managed about another mil today, that we borrowed off the arse end of your showers.
Bloody greedy buggers, you're supposed to share fair.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Germany is going to turn the coal power generators back online.

They haven't turned them off yet, they're considering doing it later than planned. Anything to cut themselves off from Russia's gas asap which is understandable in the current circumstances.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
With the big disconnect between cause and effect and basically needing to reduce QOL/demand for energy now to most probably arrest the changes it’s going to be a very bumpy ride.

I’m currently reading a fictional piece of work (a cli-fi) called ministry of the future where the job gets done. I’m only a tenth in but seems the private property rights of future generations get a voice.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul

Info that Scumo doesn't want Australians to know so we can keep profiteering off fossil fuels and ignore climate change. Rex Patrick is definitely one of the good people in parliament.

It's also disappointing to see so much talk about these events being 1 in 100/1000 year catastrophes rather than ongoing impacts of global warming.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Germany is going to turn the coal power generators back online.

• Germany had planned to phase out both nuclear power and coal in the coming years, but those plans could now be put on hold.
reading the article is says COULD. not WILL.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
  • Germany had planned to phase out both nuclear power and coal in the coming years, but those plans could now be put on hold.
reading the article is says COULD. not WILL.
Guessing that like a lot of Europe n Britain all of a sudden they're not that happy with the idea of sitting in the dark with icicles hanging off their arse when there's snow n ice everywhere.

Probably means that as soon as Vlad gets finished sorting out his Putin Union there'll be a few Pollies suckin up his date big time.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
A national crisis is about to unfold up North in the wake of these floods given infrastructure damage & shortage of supplies, not to mention the number of people's homes affected. Continual rebuilds from these disasters is unsustainable.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's a global crisis, Oldie.

Like many I'm sure, I've been alternately angry, sad, frustrated, despondent and sometimes all four at once, at the lack of climate action and the terrible consequences that are literally raining down on ordinary people. But at heart I'm an optimist. There are so many chickens coming home to roost that a lot of foxes will be smothered in the hen house. I read the war in Ukraine is likely to accelerate the transition to renewables. These climate change disasters cannot be denied; scales are falling from the eyes of all but the most wilfully ignorant or hopelessly stupid.

Within three months we will have "the most left-wing Labor PM since Whitlam". They will have a mandate, and they will get *smile* done. A large Green/Independent vote will hold them to account. We will get to 50% reduction and net zero faster than current targets, is my tip.

But it's a global crisis, and Australia is not an island. We're a small continent at the arse end of the world. More needs to be done everywhere, but I feel we're at a tipping point. People are sick of it. The US, being the redneck backwater it currently is, will drag its feet, but ultimately money talks.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's a global crisis, Oldie.

Like many I'm sure, I've been alternately angry, sad, frustrated, despondent and sometimes all four at once, at the lack of climate action and the terrible consequences that are literally raining down on ordinary people. But at heart I'm an optimist. There are so many chickens coming home to roost that a lot of foxes will be smothered in the hen house. I read the war in Ukraine is likely to accelerate the transition to renewables. These climate change disasters cannot be denied; scales are falling from the eyes of all but the most wilfully ignorant or hopelessly stupid.

Within three months we will have "the most left-wing Labor PM since Whitlam". They will have a mandate, and they will get *smile* done. A large Green/Independent vote will hold them to account. We will get to 50% reduction and net zero faster than current targets, is my tip.

But it's a global crisis, and Australia is not an island. We're a small continent at the arse end of the world. More needs to be done everywhere, but I feel we're at a tipping point. People are sick of it. The US, being the redneck backwater it currently is, will drag its feet, but ultimately money talks.

Not convinced Labor will do enough if they get in. Also, when people talk about Whitlam you always need to remember he was from the NSW Right. I hope they do accelerate action on climate change but I would say unlikely.

Australia might be a small country at the end of the world, but we are a huge coal exporter, there is a hell of a lot we can do that will have a big impact.

DS

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
A national crisis is about to unfold up North in the wake of these floods given infrastructure damage & shortage of supplies, not to mention the number of people's homes affected. Continual rebuilds from these disasters is unsustainable.

Its ok the government is running a gofundme to assist :unsure::eek::vomit ....................

• Wow