Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The first sentence is the main one and agree. As for the rest, I take your point, but I think there is a fair bit of hype as a result of the Union PR campaign and firm murdoch and coalition support. The latter 2 have been all over it because its been a rich political vein to wedge the ALP, but when you peel back the layers, its not that clear. Some communities sure, Moranbah and Blackwater for example which have always been boom and bust, but the biggest coalmining region is the Hunter valley/ Newcastle area. Shitloads of alternative industries and economies, and there is quite a bit of local support to end coal from the wineries and racehorse studs and farms. Its an amazing area, dunno if you've been there, superb postcard country, with bloody great open cut mines in the middle of it!

I find the logic and tone of the coalminers a bit hard to take. I don't begrudge them earning good dough and setting themselves up while it continues, not at all, but they are not owed a living when its over. Its just like a Blockbuster video store attendant thinking their job should continue when DVDs were over, and thats putting aside the issue of environmental harm.
That might be the case in the Hunter Valley area, have you been to the LaTrobe Valley? not may wineries or horse racing studs around there. im guessing Matt Canavan country isnt full of wineries either.
i agree with the you that coal miners are protected species, but comparing the impact on local communities of a coal mine shutting to a video store is showing ignorance for a serious issue for those communities.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
That might be the case in the Hunter Valley area, have you been to the LaTrobe Valley? not may wineries or horse racing studs around there. im guessing Matt Canavan country isnt full of wineries either.
i agree with the you that coal miners are protected species, but comparing the impact on local communities of a coal mine shutting to a video store is showing ignorance for a serious issue for those communities.
Canavan country is all FIFO, no coal mining communities. Thats the thing, where there is FIFO, which is most large scale mining in Aus, there is no community. The communities that are there are all cattle and crops, the mining economy is here or there to them. I personally know cattle station owners and workers who would much prefer no mining. I'm very aware of the issues, blockbuster comment notwithstanding. Isn't Latrobe Valley coal well down the road of finishing up? As I said, if you drill down into the issues, the 'coal mining community' is a bit of a myth, there are a few, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and even they have a long history of boom and bust.

and besides my point stands, the hunter is the biggest coal region in Aus, and it is chockers full of other industries and close to Sydney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Half Australia's energy to be generated by renewables within three years. See how easy it is.

Half it’s electricity. it’s not half our energy. Big industry uses gas. Transportation uses petrol/diesel/jet fuel. Cooking uses gas. Etc etc. massive challenge and not easy. We aren’t going to electrify all this stuff in a few years. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but we are pretty *smile* imo.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It sure is cold at the moment in Melbourne, but the temperatures are a fair way off being record lows. Meanwhile the heat in Europe is setting records. Will they get to 40 in the UK, amazing if they do.

Posh, I totally understand what you are saying. Our gas heater in the back room is playing up. We're lucky that we can turn the air-con to heat and still heat the room and although it is meant to be more efficient it still doesn't feel like the warmth you get in front of a gas heater.

Bit chilly riding in to work this morning, I suspect the next 2 days will be really cold.

DS

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Half Australia's energy to be generated by renewables within three years. See how easy it is.

What infuriates me is the climate change deniers who have held back policy change on the basis of lies for 10-20 years, they are never held to account. A lot of the calls have been so wrong as to be farcical. But Murdoch dominates the media, the ABC has to have 'balance', and reformers don't want to waste energy and fuel division by going over old ground.

I think down the track history will see these self-interested environmental vandals for what they are.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It sure is cold at the moment in Melbourne, but the temperatures are a fair way off being record lows. Meanwhile the heat in Europe is setting records. Will they get to 40 in the UK, amazing if they do.

Posh, I totally understand what you are saying. Our gas heater in the back room is playing up. We're lucky that we can turn the air-con to heat and still heat the room and although it is meant to be more efficient it still doesn't feel like the warmth you get in front of a gas heater.

Bit chilly riding in to work this morning, I suspect the next 2 days will be really cold.

DS
You have mentioned riding to work every day, that is an amazing effort DS, kudos to you.

I've done it on occassions, my ride is 45minutes to and 55mionutes home (downhill on way and all uphill home). It's tough in winter and very easy to use the car.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
At the other end of the scale Melbourne has hit zero. It's unusually literally freezing.
That said for the first time in a while I'm not so sure I'm looking forward to summer..

Yep, very cold, but still around 3 degrees off our record cold. In Europe they are breaking heat records by a couple of degrees. Imagine being in London at 40 degrees, bad enough here where we know it will be 40 a couple of times a year, but they are just not set up for that sort of temperature at all.

You have mentioned riding to work every day, that is an amazing effort DS, kudos to you.

I've done it on occasions, my ride is 45minutes to and 55mionutes home (downhill on way and all uphill home). It's tough in winter and very easy to use the car.

I just ride every day and have ridden in as low as 1 degree (today!) and as high as 42 degrees. Would be easy to use a car except we only have 1 car and it isn't mine, plus nowhere to park around here. I used to take the train on wet days until one day I was looking at the water bucketing from the sky and thinking, yep, train today. Then the radio said the train wasn't running because of flooding on the tracks so I figured it was bike or nothing. The main thing is to be well set up - cold weather jacket, rain jacket, spare socks etc. Plus, when it is hot you need to know where to get water and how to keep cool (soak your bike jersey and put it on!). My ride is about 20KMs each way, although I could ride 9KMs each way I just extend it a bit.

Time to get serious about global warming, we have to stop burning fossil fuels and get alternative energy sources online as soon as we can.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've said it before, there'll be Nuremberg-type trials.
It's a really good point spook. The last Government are tantamount to enviro criminals.
What a disgrace that damning Environmental report was kept under wraps by Ley until after the election.
Even the most Liberal of folks must see that for what it is.
They must never get in again.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's a really good point spook. The last Government are tantamount to enviro criminals.
What a disgrace that damning Environmental report was kept under wraps by Ley until after the election.
Even the most Liberal of folks must see that for what it is.
They must never get in again.
Climate crimes against humanity. Biggest story of the 2030s, that's my tip.

Personally, that's too late. We need to be more proactive and start assassinating the *smile* out of the fossil fuel crooks and every pollie they've bought off.