Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Europe has just had its hottest summer on record, and Sydney has recorded its wettest year on record - with 86 days to spare!

Cool and normal.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tornado warning in NSW and Northern Victoria. Normal.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Will it be a wet/rainy Summer in Victoria ?

Looks that way with a La Nina continuing.

Give it about 5 years and we'll get another drought.

The weather is a mess on our slightly heated planet, just wait until the heating rises.

DS

• Sad

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Reckon it was one of the coldest in a very long time.

Its the coldest winter since I've been living in Melbourne. Probably the coldest and wettest Winter / Spring seasons.

I've been here for 13 years now.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Looks that way with a La Nina continuing.

Give it about 5 years and we'll get another drought.

The weather is a mess on our slightly heated planet, just wait until the heating rises.

DS
Exactly. This state Government has failed us. Should have had more dams built that would have helped mitigate this flood event. And then provide more water security when drought hits.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Exactly. This state Government has failed us. Should have had more dams built that would have helped mitigate this flood event. And then provide more water security when drought hits.

where should they have been built? and what would those dams have done to river flows when the rivers arent flooding?

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
where should they have been built? and what would those dams have done to river flows when the rivers arent flooding?
They talked about building one as below.

That would be very handy right now as a sustained water source. Would have most likely mitigated the current situation.

Fail to see how a desalination plant could have been a better option both environmental sense and a $ cost basis.

Do you think the State Government got this correct?

As for the second question, not sure.
But if we have more water capacity we can limit the impact on flood and the people downstream. And in times of drought we can provide more water to those who need it and the environmental flows that are needed.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Interesting pod that covert a myriad of topics.

Listening to The HC Insider Podcast (Surviving the Anthropocene: climate change and humanity’s response with Dominic Boyer)

<p>We are living in the Human Age and climate change presents an existential threat to humanity. For the commodities sector, it is the key driver of opportunities and challenge, from selecting strategies to pricing future risks. Growing awareness of the impacts is profoundly affecting society and companies alike. But what is climate change and to what future climate are we headed? Is humanity capable of addressing it whether through mitigation and adaptation? And how can the best intentions of energy-transition be disruptive as they change the societies within which they are placed? In this episode, we are delighted to welcome Dominic Boyer, Professor of Cultural Anthropology, whose focus is on climate change and societal responses. Dominic is also the author of Energopolitics and co-host of the Cultures of Energy.</p><p>To find out more about HC and our talent advisory services in the energy & commodities sector visit <a href="www.hcgroup.global/hc-insider" target="_blank">www.hcgroup.global/hc-insider</a></p><p>To connect with our host Paul Chapman, you can find him at<a href=" www.linkedin.com/in/paulchapmanhc/" target="_blank"> www.linkedin.com/in/paulchapmanhc/</a></p>

https://podcasts.hcinsider.global/e...umanitys-response-with-dominic-boyer-yPzrvJny

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They talked about building one as below.

That would be very handy right now as a sustained water source. Would have most likely mitigated the current situation.

Fail to see how a desalination plant could have been a better option both environmental sense and a $ cost basis.

Do you think the State Government got this correct?

As for the second question, not sure.
But if we have more water capacity we can limit the impact on flood and the people downstream. And in times of drought we can provide more water to those who need it and the environmental flows that are needed.

Dams and desalination plants are really involved in 2 different weather patterns. Dams are useful when you have a lot of water (like we do at the minute after having several consistent years of La Nina patterns). The desal plant is there when we don't have enough rainfall on land which was why it was built after a fairly long period of drought.

You actually need a mix of both, so that you can control rainfall when you get it, and generate more water when you don't.

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Dams and desalination plants are really involved in 2 different weather patterns. Dams are useful when you have a lot of water (like we do at the minute after having several consistent years of La Nina patterns). The desal plant is there when we don't have enough rainfall on land which was why it was built after a fairly long period of drought.

You actually need a mix of both, so that you can control rainfall when you get it, and generate more water when you don't.
I don’t disagree with what you are saying to a certain extent. However I feel if we had continued to invest in dams this century we would have had an opportunity to have enough water to not need the desalination plant. And we would have water to go into water ways for environmental flows.

A desalination plant surely can’t help environmental flows?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t disagree with what you are saying to a certain extent. However I feel if we had continued to invest in dams this century we would have had an opportunity to have enough water to not need the desalination plant. And we would have water to go into water ways for environmental flows.

A desalination plant surely can’t help environmental flows?

No it doesn't. The requirement for a desal plant is when there isn't enough water on land, so it wouldn't help with any environmental flows specifically. Its a break glass in times of emergency type thing.

Your dam theory may have worked, but remember back to the early 2010's and we had several lakes that were essentially dry due to the drought we were under. You'd probably find the same scenario if there was a lack of onshore water. The issue around our water issues in VIC are predominantly around precipitation levels.

These graphs highlight this and why the desal plant was decided upon. The desal plant was approved in 2007 (on the back of "the big dry" in the early 2000's which took our water storage levels down to dangerously low numbers. It just so happens that 2 of the wetter years were in the time taken to complete the construction (2010 and 2011) which both had a dramatic impact on increasing water storage levels. Additional dams would have done very little to protect against these water storage levels because the issue with declining water storage was due to a lack of rainfall.

You'll note that since those 2 consecutive years, we have still had a significant number of years with below average rainfall interspersed with high rainfall years, these have generally been the result of dominant El Nino weather systems that culminated in the drought that resulted in the 2019 bushfire seasons.

This discussion around dams has only come around now, due to the unprecedented number of la nina systems we have had in a row and you will likely see 2022 appear on this website with a heavy blue colour on the east coast of Australia. The last time we had 3 cycles like this was in the mid 70's, its not the norm and will change around again.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Dams cost a *smile* load to build, have detrimental effect on river flows, and the environment (including wildlife) downstream, destroy the environment in the immediate vicinity of the dam, release greenhouse gases, waste a large amount of water to evaporation and at times contribute to flooding, such as in Queensland a few years ago.

Dams arent all evil, but "build more dams" isnt always the best solution, or a solution at all.

Reactions: 2 users