Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Highest recorded temps ever in Europe, Arctic polar cap and permafrost melting. All completely fine and normal.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Highest recorded temps ever in Europe, Arctic polar cap and permafrost melting. All completely fine and normal.
I thought you cant use small, short term weather experience to prove/disprove GW?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Feels like another warmish winter in Melbourne. Too many mild days and northerly winds. El Nino won't *smile* off....

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I thought you cant use small, short term weather experience to prove/disprove GW?

You think melting permafrost is short term? Scientists in the tundra in the Arctic are now finding the thawing bones of mammoths and other Pleistocene animals being exposed. The Pleistocene ended about 11 thousand years ago and lasted for about 2 million years.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You may be right - but 3.5/feels like 1.4 when I woke up this morning!
Occasionally we get these icy mornings, but most of the time it hasn't been consistently cold since ~ 2008......if I remember correctly. I've worn t-shirt and shorts a few weekends already and I've seen others wear them too.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just came back from Singapore with work, Qantas have a documentary movie called 2040 by an Australian bloke (Damon something, can't remember right now) but it shows what we could do with current technology that could change our future by 2040. Some really good and interesting options put forward, particularly around farming methods and especially farming methods in the sea and what that can do to help correct the acidity and temperature of the seas, definitely sounds like something Australia should be investing in.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Just came back from Singapore with work, Qantas have a documentary movie called 2040 by an Australian bloke (Damon something, can't remember right now) but it shows what we could do with current technology that could change our future by 2040. Some really good and interesting options put forward, particularly around farming methods and especially farming methods in the sea and what that can do to help correct the acidity and temperature of the seas, definitely sounds like something Australia should be investing in.

Forget it, the numpties who govern our country don't believe that climate change is happening.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Even the goddamn Tories in the UK are working towards a zero emissions economy. The goddamn Tories. Meanwhile we are stick in the 1980s.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Zero emissions hey Antman. I'd like you to analyse that one for me please.
Are emissions confined to burning fossil fuels only?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Forget it, the numpties who govern our country don't believe that climate change is happening.
Interesting take from someone admitting to flying from Singapore dont you agree TT? People make me laugh through their inability to see their own footprint.
Whinge all you want just don't be complicit in what you are whinging about and then tell me and our country we are doing it all wrong.......let alone whinge about the elected Government. As if they are the cause.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Even the goddamn Tories in the UK are working towards a zero emissions economy. The goddamn Tories. Meanwhile we are stick in the 1980s.

england doesn't have coal as a massive proportion of exports. Basic stuff

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
So let's be basic for fun. Let's go neuclar because it's good for the environment.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah I know but sea farming could be something they could look at from an economic point of view. If they can reverse the acidity of the sea and help to control the temperature, they may be able to restore the Great Barrier Reef and that's worth a heap to the economy in tourism.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Interesting take from someone admitting to flying from Singapore dont you agree TT? People make me laugh through their inability to see their own footprint.
Whinge all you want just don't be complicit in what you are whinging about and then tell me and our country we are doing it all wrong.......let alone whinge about the elected Government. As if they are the cause.

Wow, that's a pretty ridiculous point, so I took a flight, does that mean that I'm not allowed to comment on climate change? Do you live in the woods, generating your own power, only travel via push bike and walking, eat no meat and have no entertainment? ie. you are truly zero emissions

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Zero emissions hey Antman. I'd like you to analyse that one for me please.
Are emissions confined to burning fossil fuels only?

Not sure what you mean by 'analyse" but its reported 100% power from renewables/zero emission sources. Where industries still emit, there must be an equivalent decarbonisation effort through new forests, wetlands and other forms of CO2 removal or sequestration from the atmosphere. Goal is to achieve this by 2050 so it's a medium term thing. Some of these technical approaches don't exist at scale yet.

The point is that at least in Europe even conservative governments see CC as an existential threat, and take measures to mitigate it. Australia can't even agree on a coherent energy policy and instead throws money at farmers for "drought relief" while getting their mates filthy through dodgy water monopolisation schemes.