Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Good quote, I'll try to find something a bit more definitive about El Nino if I can.

The article says
Study co-author Mark Cane of Columbia University, who is a pioneer in El Niño forecasting, says computer models have failed to accurately simulate changes in the tropical Pacific Ocean during the past few decades.

Doubt that climate modelling existed prior to the last few decades, so what is essentially being said is that El Nino conditions have so far proven difficult to forecast. They occur anywhere from two to seven years apart.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The article says

Doubt that climate modelling existed prior to the last few decades, so what is essentially being said is that El Nino conditions have so far proven difficult to forecast. They occur anywhere from two to seven years apart.

Yes, this is accurate as far as i can read. The "super ninos" are less frequent again.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Haaarrrrgggh. Just got through watching a video clip off you tube that my brother sent me. George Carlin, saving the planet. The man has clarity and understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Fires still burning right across NSW. Sydney blanketed in smoke. Is this the new normal?
People are talking about wearing gas masks to work. Smoke right through offices. Air conditioning doing nothing.
Expect a health crisis putting massive pressure on resources if this keeps up.

Attachments

• EKwKx8XU0AEiPqx.jpg
    EKwKx8XU0AEiPqx.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 5

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Fires still burning right across NSW. Sydney blanketed in smoke. Is this the new normal?
People are talking about wearing gas masks to work. Smoke right through offices. Air conditioning doing nothing.
Expect a health crisis putting massive pressure on resources if this keeps up.

The last fortnight I feel like I'm smoking a packet of camels a day.

can't be good for you.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The right is gradually shifting the goalposts in the wake of recent scientific evidence.
Now finally acknowledging ‘climate change’ is real but apparently Australia is just a drop in the ocean re CO2 emissions so why should we be doing much?
Still at least the conversation is changing. Here’s hoping it continues to in a hurry....

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
The right is gradually shifting the goalposts in the wake of recent scientific evidence.
Now finally acknowledging ‘climate change’ is real but apparently Australia is just a drop in the ocean re CO2 emissions so why should we be doing much?
Still at least the conversation is changing. Here’s hoping it continues to in a hurry....
That argument has been around for about 15 years?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
BTW Australia is responsible for about 4% of global emissions. 600 million tonnes domestically and an additional 1.1 billion tonnes produced globally through burning our exported coal.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
BTW Australia is responsible for about 4% of global emissions. 600 million tonnes domestically and an additional 1.1 billion tonnes produced globally through burning our exported coal.

given we are 0.3% of the population, I think that puts us on the podium for world best practice in planetary death expeditors ?

fair go brave Aussie battler anzac spirited hero mates. throw another prawn on the barbie, she'll be right.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That argument has been around for about 15 years?

you're correct.
the 'right' are pretty circular with their argument. climate change isnt real, then climate change is natural and has always happened, then Australia cant do anything anyway, then the cost is to great. then repeat.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Aus Government's stance on Climate Change comes from the US Governments Gun Control playbook

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
then climate change is natural and has always happened,

then Australia cant do anything anyway, then the cost is to great.
Exactly correct, climate change has existed ever since the planet was first formed, we've only started getting our knickers in a twist over it since the world population hit about 5 billion n rising rapidly.

Perhaps Australia should just tell the rest of the world to *smile* off. They can't have any more coal, ore, gas or anything else that comes out of the ground. Coz we're gunna park everything and save the world from climate change. Wonder how long we'd last?

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
The last fortnight I feel like I'm smoking a packet of camels a day.

can't be good for you.
No.
Should be wearing minimum those white breathing mask to filter it. Or other blueish ones. Just like the fire fighters do.
I wouldnt risk it if its bad as its stated around the cities/suburbs

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
you're correct.
the 'right' are pretty circular with their argument. climate change isnt real, then climate change is natural and has always happened, then Australia cant do anything anyway, then the cost is to great. then repeat.
Bit like how it used to be called global warming. You’re actually out of date the new lingo is climate crisis as no one disputes the climate changes.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Bit like how it used to be called global warming. You’re actually out of date the new lingo is climate crisis as no one disputes the climate changes.
the label changed because global warming does not cover all the effects.

also some do dispute the climate is currently changing, often using temps from a random hot year as the base point, ignoring the longer term trends.
some, usually the same people, then dispute the science that the actions of humans are causing the current changes.
they then blame others for causing the damage (that they previously said wasnt happening, but if it is it not cos of humans anyway.)
then finally it is not cost effective to make the changes that we dont need to make.

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
It was bloody hot growing up here when I was a kid.. The bitumen roads would melt. No thongs, we'd run from tree shade to tree shade waiting for our feet to cool down. The soles of our feet were an inch thick, bloody soft feet these days though.
No air con at home or in schools then either. I bet many an older PRE poster would have similar stories to tell.

Today it's bloody hot..42degrees, tomorrow 44, Friday 45...Cool change Saturday.40 degrees
Ahh summer. Going to be good moving to a beach side suburb away from the desert. Good that it sits high off the shoreline (Just in case)

Reactions: 1 users