Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Let's see what the Royal Commission has to say. Watch Dan Andrews put up the shutters.

That's around bushfires which blokes like you reckon have nothing to do with CC.

Here's an idea to break this tired deadlock. LISTEN TO THE FARKIN' SCIENTISTS

Reactions: 1 user

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
That's around bushfires which blokes like you reckon have nothing to do with CC.

Here's an idea to break this tired deadlock. LISTEN TO THE FARKIN' SCIENTISTS
Unbelievable isn't it antman.

These CC denying twats running around saying that 97% of the world's climate scientists are wrong and they are right. The sheer arrogance.

OK deniers, what are your credentials? How does your knowledge supersede 97% of the smartest climate scientists on the planet?

Let me pose a question. 97% of aircraft mechanics are saying "Don't get on that plane!". There's a few people without any background in the mechanics of aircrafts saying "The plane is fine, get on". So to the CC deniers on this forum, would you get on?

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Let me pose a question. 97% of aircraft mechanics are saying "Don't get on that plane!". There's a few people without any background in the mechanics of aircrafts saying "The plane is fine, get on". So to the CC deniers on this forum, would you get on?

You put your life in the hands of the mechanics, the pilots, the ATC, the safety regulators every time you fly - and that's after they've given the green light. Consequently I'm an uncomfortable flyer!

There are six millions components on a commercial airliner, but that pales into insignificance compared with the complexity of climate science. When someone claims to be an expert on it, they are speaking in relative terms. When they branch into prophecy, they are largely speculating.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
You put your life in the hands of the mechanics, the pilots, the ATC, the safety regulators every time you fly - and that's after they've given the green light. Consequently I'm an uncomfortable flyer!

There are six millions components on a commercial airliner, but that pales into insignificance compared with the complexity of climate science. When someone claims to be an expert on it, they are speaking in relative terms. When they branch into prophecy, they are largely speculating.
You conveniently didn't answer my questions. I'll repeat them.

1. What are your credentials?
2. Would you get on that plane?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You conveniently didn't answer my questions. I'll repeat them.

1. What are your credentials?
2. Would you get on that plane?

My credentials are the same as yours. I've picked up bits and pieces from various sources, such that I'm conversant at a basic level on "climate change".

No I wouldn't get on the plane if mechanics advised it was unsafe.

A question for you - if I called you a "twat" simply because you had a different opinion about something, would you take offence?

How about if I labelled you a racist because you didn't agree with a court decision?

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
From the hippies at the Fin Review:

If you think ministers handing out sports grants to marginal electorates is a waste of taxpayer money, you need to take a look at the Coalition’s plans to hand out coal-fired power stations as well.

The former free marketeers in the Coalition literally went to the last election promising to subsidise the business case for a new coal-fired power station in Collinsville, Queensland, which – as luck would have it – was in one of the most marginal federal electorates.

While virtually every economist (other than Canavan) agrees that the best way to deal with such a "negative externality" is to tax CO2 emissions, the Coalition makes a virtue out of ignoring the overwhelming economic advice.

The second-best solution is to subsidise alternatives to coal, such as renewables – but for Canavan to argue that we should subsidise polluting coal because we support its clean substitutes is simply absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
2IONLEh.jpg

Lefties are having a grossly disproportionate say.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You could break down suspects and terrorists

by making them

pick the biggest *smile* in the Liberal cabinet

'easy Its Michaela Cash, no, no, its matt caravan, no its not, Peter Dutton. No, Barnaby rejoice. No, No, wait its that boss bloke, Scott corrosion (sic, sometimes spell checker is your Freudian friend), no it not, its David littleyeyes. No, its. Cory Bernadi, no wait, hes gone to the gestapo. OK I'll tell you EVERYTHING, just down make me pick the biggest *smile* in the Liberal cabinet'

its been this way since Howard stacked the deck with christcons. that little *smile* set us back a century

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
My credentials are the same as yours. I've picked up bits and pieces from various sources, such that I'm conversant at a basic level on "climate change".

No I wouldn't get on the plane if mechanics advised it was unsafe.

A question for you - if I called you a "twat" simply because you had a different opinion about something, would you take offence?

How about if I labelled you a racist because you didn't agree with a court decision?

OK so we are both non-climate scientists. I therefore defer to the 97% of climate scientist who have concluded that climate change is unequivocally man made. You think you know better than them.

Remember when it became fact that lung cancer was directly linked to smoking tobacco? Big tobacco spent millions, might have even been billions, suffice to say a sh!tload of $$$ to attempt to disprove this. They paid some doctors to actually say that smoking was good for your health. Of the bit and pieces from various sources....have you ever considered that they might be "sponsored" by the fossil fuel industry to write such garbage? Do you think the Saudis and other large fossil fuel producers are happy that their trillion dollar industry is at the crossroads?

You don't see any hypocrisy when you take the word of aircraft mechanics, but not climate scientists?

An opinion is a personal belief which can't be proved or disproved. In my opinion, the Tiges will be undefeated in 2020. This can't be proved or disproved. I would never call anyone a twat for their opinion or belief. I do call people a twat when they deny facts.

Racist? Court decision?......what the...?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
OK so we are both non-climate scientists. I therefore defer to the 97% of climate scientist who have concluded that climate change is unequivocally man made. You think you know better than them.
From https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
“Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.”

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

I'll allow that you're late to the discussion. That "factoid" is rarely trotted out these days for a reason.
Platitudes aren't enough, you need some substance now.
You don't see any hypocrisy when you take the word of aircraft mechanics, but not climate scientists?

No hypocrisy whatsoever. I'm a discerning interpreter of information.

If I'm a "denier", it's only that I deny there is currently an emergency or indeed any pressing need to cut off our left arms, economically speaking. Nowhere have I denied unadulterated facts; I'm skeptical of some opinions.

- it's warming gradually
- the prevailing belief is that man is a signifcant contributor to the warming (nobody can confirm it beyond reasonable doubt - you can't measure it, and there's almost no research being funded into natural causes)
- the prevailing belief is that warming will continue (I have no basis for seriously contesting this and don't have an opinion; I simply watch the observations come in)
- warming should not be allowed to continue indefinitely if it's within our capability to alter global climate (unproven)

I welcome practical suggestions for making the planet more liveable.

Twat out.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
True. We should cut their heads off.

Or just have compulsory euthanasia at around 65. Many problems solved. Retire earlier, live healthier, fewer inhabitants....so many benefits.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Australia is not closing coal plants TO SAVE THE WORLD, we're doing it because they're coming to the end of their lives. We're not building more because they're neither environmentally friendly nor economically viable.

Or just have compulsory euthanasia at around 65. Many problems solved. Retire earlier, live healthier, fewer inhabitants....so many benefits.
I like my idea better.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I'll allow that you're late to the discussion. That "factoid" is rarely trotted out these days for a reason.
Platitudes aren't enough, you need some substance now.

No hypocrisy whatsoever. I'm a discerning interpreter of information.

If I'm a "denier", it's only that I deny there is currently an emergency or indeed any pressing need to cut off our left arms, economically speaking. Nowhere have I denied unadulterated facts; I'm skeptical of some opinions.

- it's warming gradually
- the prevailing belief is that man is a signifcant contributor to the warming (nobody can confirm it beyond reasonable doubt - you can't measure it, and there's almost no research being funded into natural causes)
- the prevailing belief is that warming will continue (I have no basis for seriously contesting this and don't have an opinion; I simply watch the observations come in)
- warming should not be allowed to continue indefinitely if it's within our capability to alter global climate (unproven)

I welcome practical suggestions for making the planet more liveable.

Twat out.
There is nothing unreasonable in this L2, nothing at all.
There is however the whole other side that says it is an emergency and that our left arms are expendable at any cost even if we dont know what the cost is yet.
Im with you, its not denialism is just not what the fundamemtalists want.
We will get where we need to be, just think back to each of the past "global" emergencies and look how we (mainly first world) have evolved. This will continue.
Nowhere have I denied unadulterated facts, that i am aware of either.