Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I have solar panels.
I own a hybrid sedan.
I drink scotch.
The world is overpopulated.
I support Government Schools.
Australia is not the fall guy for CC.
I am glad Shorten lost.
I dislike protesters and people who are blatant hypocrites.
The only way you can truely reduce human induced CC is to check out.
Not overly philosophical but hey..........

Good concise summary

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
At the very least, it should finally hit home that our global, social and political systems are fragile.

It only takes something a couple of nanometres across to bring us to a standstill.

It only takes minor changes in behaviour to collapse employment and the economy.

It only takes imagined food shortages and a vague awareness of the weakness of supply chains to send people into an every person for themselves frenzy.

Imagine what's going to happen when climate change reduces (or even just alters) produce or livestock availability? Look what happened when people just thought toilet paper was limited.

There are a lot of people who remain climate change deniers because they have some misplaced belief that the earth is too big, and we are too smart and well established for a few degrees to matter. Maybe this will help them think again.

We're also seeing world leaders with vested interests in miscommunication reaping what they sew. Guess which two phenomenons Trump has labelled a hoax? Had to change his tune on one once the bodies started piling up. But that's literally what it took. It's probably what it will take with climate change too.

And when the world falls apart again with climate change, we'll simply see the same thing then that we're seeing from people now who ignored early scientific advice about this pandemic. Even the deniers are scared now. 'Why won't the young people stay inside? Don't they know we're all at risk?' 'What do you mean it takes 18 months for a vaccine? What's wrong with these scientists?'

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Hope people start to listen to climate change scientists as closely as they are re COVID-19.

ironically this will help the environment with people not travelling.

We're also seeing world leaders with vested interests in miscommunication reaping what they so. Guess which two phenomenons Trump has labelled a hoax? Had to change his tune on one or the bodies started piling up. But that's literally what it took. It's probably what it will take with climate change too.

And when the world falls apart again with climate change, we'll simply see the same thing then that we're seeing from people now who ignored really scientific advice about this pandemic. Even the deniers are scared now. 'Why won't the young people stay inside? Don't they know we're all at risk?' 'What do you nah it takes 18 months for a vaccine? What's wrong with these scientists?'

good post, especially this bit. its interesting to note that the most COVID-19 cases in Victoria come from the more affluent areas. they probably think they're invincible and are more likely to be CC denialists as well

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
At the very least, it should finally hit home that our global, social and political systems are fragile.

It only takes something a couple of nanometres across to bring us to a standstill.

It only takes minor changes in behaviour to collapse employment and the economy.

It only takes imagined food shortages and a vague awareness of the weakness of supply chains to send people into an every person for themselves frenzy.

Imagine what's going to happen when climate change reduces (or even just alters) produce or livestock availability? Look what happened when people just thought toilet paper was limited.

There are a lot of people who remain climate change deniers because they have some misplaced belief that the earth is too big, and we are too smart and well established for a few degrees to matter. Maybe this will help them think again.

We're also seeing world leaders with vested interests in miscommunication reaping what they sew. Guess which two phenomenons Trump has labelled a hoax? Had to change his tune on one once the bodies started piling up. But that's literally what it took. It's probably what it will take with climate change too.

And when the world falls apart again with climate change, we'll simply see the same thing then that we're seeing from people now who ignored early scientific advice about this pandemic. Even the deniers are scared now. 'Why won't the young people stay inside? Don't they know we're all at risk?' 'What do you mean it takes 18 months for a vaccine? What's wrong with these scientists?'
When the media goes into overdrive with the armageddon n horsemen of the apoxylisp the sheep n nuffers go into hysterical melt down every time. Politicians are happy to lead the way because they need to be on top of the feel good next time there's a Fed or State erection. Three or four months time all the knicker wetting will be about how the global economy is totally *smile* n there's massive unemployment causing people to lose their home etc etc etc. Then we'll be full on into flu season n there'll be half a wet fart from the media and pollies over this while thousands more old people with respiratory problems quietly shuffle off the perch into the after life n hardly anyone will notice.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Given we've seen how perilously fragile society is when interrupted I wonder if those in power will start to listen to the scientists warning about our rapidly changing climate.

As my 15 year old son wisely pointed out this week..

'Dad how come Government can get everyone to radically change their behaviour re coronavirus to protect people but they can't/won't get people to make changes to protect the planet re climate change?'

He figured it was because those in power are most effected by this right now but they'll all be dead when his generation feels the effect of climate change.

His concerns make sense to me.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
good post, especially this bit. its interesting to note that the most COVID-19 cases in Victoria come from the more affluent areas. they probably think they're invincible and are more likely to be CC denialists as well
Interestingly the electorates of Kooyong and Higgins which cover much of Stonnington and Boroondara councils (which have been the places where COVID is the highest) have a quite strong green vote.
Different people I guess, maybe it's the younger generation voting green in those electorates?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Given we've seen how perilously fragile society is when interrupted I wonder if those in power will start to listen to the scientists warning about our rapidly changing climate.

As my 15 year old son wisely pointed out this week..

'Dad how come Government can get everyone to radically change their behaviour re coronavirus to protect people but they can't/won't get people to make changes to protect the planet re climate change?'

He figured it was because those in power are most effected by this right now but they'll all be dead when his generation feels the effect of climate change.

His concerns make sense to me.

spot on! Although he is going a bit easy on the Government, its not just that they can't or won't, they are actively impeding substantive change to protect the environment by denying and talking down the evidence. Actually now I think about it its even worse, policies that promote and subsidise new coal mines accelerate destruction of the environment.

Reactions: 4 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Anyone seen Planet of the Humans? Doesn’t paint a rosy picture for green energy, even from an anti-capitalist, pro-environmentalism perspective.

Reactions: 1 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Please tell me the threat of COVID-19 isn't being equated to the threat of climate change...?!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Anyone seen Planet of the Humans? Doesn’t paint a rosy picture for green energy, even from an anti-capitalist, pro-environmentalism perspective.

Apparently the film was mostly made around 2011 and the data hasn't been updated since then.

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
Please tell me the threat of COVID-19 isn't being equated to the threat of climate change...?!

How about this - COVID-19 has been observed attaching to fine particulate pollution in the air allowing it to hover in the breathable atmosphere for longer, so yeah, pollution, which causes climate change, is also potentially (needs peer review) causing the further spread of COVID-19:

But knowing "people", we will do 10 years of research, then the Murdoch media via it's brigade of Andrew Bolt puppets will poo-poo the results, governments will decide that they will stay in power in the short term if they put jobs and the economy ahead of reducing pollution and there will be no change to current processes. As a species, we are currently getting dealt precisely what we have earned.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Melbourne is about to complete a cold April, on the back of its cold March and cold February.

April avg: 19.5 (-1.6 on 30-year average)
March avg: 22.9 (-1.7)
February avg 24.4 (-2.5)

sd2GYUZ.jpg