Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Renewables, nuclear, gas/oil/coal power supplies all knocked out.
Yes, the infra couldn't handle the cold. But it was amusing seeing politicians over there claiming that solar was failing because it was too cold. Guess these guys never got sunburned on the ski slopes.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
And right on cue, science tells us why climate change is hurting. The AMOC is close to collapse, and that will mean harsher winters and hotter summers in Europe.

All cool though, a few nutty bloggers will tell us why it's all over dramatised.

Yes they made a science fiction film about it, The Day After Tomorrow.

Not a lot of hot weather around to frighten people with.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The scenario in The Day After Tomorrow is plausible if somewhat low on the probability scale.

They were trying to make a point but, the problem was, it just wasn't a very good movie.

DS

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
For LTRTR. Clearly renewable energy is NOT driving your power bills up.

Within 2 days of that article comes the below one, closing the Yallourn power plant 4 years early in 2028 instead of 2032.

Coal appears to be on its deathbed in Australia. Still breathing, but struggling.

BTW - I'd love to know why my power bills haven't plunged like the wholesale price has.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
For LTRTR. Clearly renewable energy is NOT driving your power bills up.

Within 2 days of that article comes the below one, closing the Yallourn power plant 4 years early in 2028 instead of 2032.

Coal appears to be on its deathbed in Australia. Still breathing, but struggling.

BTW - I'd love to know why my power bills haven't plunged like the wholesale price has.
So as we lose base load generators and have supply that is only available when the sun shines and wind blows will this policy morass work? .

when I read it I basically read that they can force generators to turn off and some consumers to switch off but after that it’s rolling blackouts.

clearly you can’t have a grid that is 100% solar but you can have one that has some kind of mix

it Seems to me non rateable supply freeloads on ratable supply.
but also co2 emitting supply (typically rateable or even able to switch on demand like a diesel generator) is pumping its externalities into the global atmosphere

a Price mechanism as I read the policy above is going to only drive short term decision making and not force the investment in having power available when sun is off and it isn’t windy etc. need some smart solutions to this or renewables will eventually run us into blackouts if they become too much of the mix without makeup capacity being available.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Very interesting. There will definitely be an inflection point and an investment in storage needed as the mix chanGes. I just put panels on my roof as the payoff makes financial sense. But I get a guaranteed sell Price and despite being a relatively high income earner still got a ~30% subsidy off the total price. Should pay off for me personally in 3-4 years. But I’m contributing to putting the base load makers out of business and not having to pay for my (albeit small) contribution to instability and future network costs.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We need more action on solar collecting power generation as they work overnight, would work well in Australia. Plus we can look to use reliable renewable energy such as tidal power.

DS