Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Could go to the rest of the solar system though. I understand the sentiment about Bezos, Branson and Musk but if it leads to more funding for space flight it could lead to good things. But then I've always been a science fiction fan.

Dunno about that, Mars, the closest planet, takes years to get to and return.

If you want a comparison of distances, there is a model of the solar system which runs from just North of StKilda Marina to Port Melbourne along the beach. The Moon is a couple of inches from Earth, Mars is metres away and Pluto kilometres away.

But, back to climate change and the impact it is having:

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Could go to the rest of the solar system though. I understand the sentiment about Bezos, Branson and Musk but if it leads to more funding for space flight it could lead to good things. But then I've always been a science fiction fan.

there is that theory that when the sun heats up we could go to Mars, then when it goes red giant in several billion years we can relocate to one of the moons of Jupiter with water, forget which one.. Europa?

If I had to bet I'd say that FTL travel will never be possible, which means that we ain't goin' to the stars. We are stardust and (we are golden) but we'll return to the universe as basic elements before we get to another star. I'm a big scifi fan too Ian.

All the more reason to stop screwing the planet. It's the worst kind of thinking - let's keep on trashing the earth because we can always relocate. Stop thinking like that humans. It's pharked.

Reactions: 4 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Spot on Antman. We're not moving to another solar system any time soon, we'll destroy ourselves before that ever happens, at this rate anyway.

Nice woodstock reference too.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
there is that theory that when the sun heats up we could go to Mars, then when it goes red giant in several billion years we can relocate to one of the moons of Jupiter with water, forget which one.. Europa?

If I had to bet I'd say that FTL travel will never be possible, which means that we ain't goin' to the stars. We are stardust and (we are golden) but we'll return to the universe as basic elements before we get to another star. I'm a big scifi fan too Ian.

All the more reason to stop screwing the planet. It's the worst kind of thinking - let's keep on trashing the earth because we can always relocate. Stop thinking like that humans. It's pharked.

It is the utmost arrogance to think that humans will be around in 5 billion years when the sun goes Red Giant.

Non avian dinosaurs were around for about 180 million years.

We've been around for about 1/5th of a million. And we've already nearly ruined the planet's ability to sustain us. Our time left is measured in thousands.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Yep as said many times there's no Planet B.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It is the utmost arrogance to think that humans will be around in 5 billion years when the sun goes Red Giant.

Non avian dinosaurs were around for about 180 million years.

We've been around for about 1/5th of a million. And we've already nearly ruined the planet's ability to sustain us. Our time left is measured in thousands.

Yep, agree 100%. And as a species, despite all the beautiful things we have created, we don't deserve to continue. We've pharked up a perfectly good planet in less than 300 years of industrialisation. Not to mention the unspeakable things we do to each other and other species. In my most optimistic moments I imagine a human race that takes care of each other and the planet, but that's a long way off if ever.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
2affe5f82c8aa89f6926682eeb7dacb0.jpg

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Extraordinary vision of the flooding in Zhengzhou, China. Apparently had 8 months of rainfall in one day..

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not to make light of the flooding in China but rather provide some perspective - China has been subject to the most devastating floods in history, where the death toll has at times been measured in millions.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

24,000,000 pigs running wild, uprooting plants and soil causing enough pollution as 1,100,000 cars. We need an approach to reduce their numbers.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep, agree 100%. And as a species, despite all the beautiful things we have created, we don't deserve to continue. We've pharked up a perfectly good planet in less than 300 years of industrialisation. Not to mention the unspeakable things we do to each other and other species. In my most optimistic moments I imagine a human race that takes care of each other and the planet, but that's a long way off if ever.
correct. we are a cancer on the planet and the cancer's spreading rapidly. we've been here a millisecond and look at the vast changes and destruction we've made. fast forward 1,000 years. where will it end?

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
exactly Lee, this is my favourite part here. Pembroke corgis represent

View attachment 12859
Ha ha corgis are cool. We've got a Jack Russell rescue dog which we believe is crossed with a corgi. Jack Russell personality mixed with corgi chill. Very quirky.

How about the size of the ears on some corgis. We had some friends that years ago bought their corgi to our joint for a visit. That thing had ears so big I reckon you could stick a coat hanger up his bum and you'd pick up Foxtel.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ha ha corgis are cool. We've got a Jack Russell rescue dog which we believe is crossed with a corgi. Jack Russell personality mixed with corgi chill. Very quirky.

How about the size of the ears on some corgis. We had some friends that years ago bought their corgi to our joint for a visit. That thing had ears so big I reckon you could stick a coat hanger up his bum and you'd pick up Foxtel.
Corgi/JR X, that's great!

94380078_545028116425481_1140704208140369920_ns.jpg

This is my guy, also a rescue... we believe corgi/lab cross. He's a weird unit too, good-natured though. About 3/4 size of a lab.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Corgi/JR X, that's great!

View attachment 12864

This is my guy, also a rescue... we believe corgi/lab cross. He's a weird unit too, good-natured though. About 3/4 size of a lab.
Cool dog Ant. Definitely looks like lab in there.

We also have a female JR rescue. Reckon she's pretty close to purebred Jack. And just like my wife she's the boss...........................

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Cool dog Ant. Definitely looks like lab in there.

We also have a female JR rescue. Reckon she's pretty close to purebred Jack. And just like my wife she's the boss...........................

JRs have a lot of personality, a bit like JR8