Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bloody hell, a complete torrent of bullsh1t above as usual.

There was some speculation about when an ice age was due in the 70s, it was pretty limited and global warming caused by carbon emissions was already known about. The whole issue with things like Europe getting colder as a result of global warming is to do with the jet stream, which keeps Europe warmer than it would otherwise be, failing. The jet stream is changing and we don't know the impact of global warming on it yet.

Pointing to outliers is an easy strategy: look someone predicted the end of the world and it didn't happen, therefore anyone who predicts any impact from global warming must be wrong. Very weak argument.

Meanwhile fires get worse, heatwaves get worse, glaciers shrink, coastal erosion gets worse, land which has been occupied for thousands of years is inundated with seawater.

We know global warming is happening, we know the impact is bad now and getting worse.

Some of us are not stupid enough to claim business as usual will be fine, some of us are not so silly as to think that experimenting with the climate on the only habitable planet we now of is a good idea.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There was some speculation about when an ice age was due in the 70s, it was pretty limited and global warming caused by carbon emissions was already known about.
David, cooling was the consensus in the early 70's. That's why Sawyer's 1972 paper, relatively unsophisticated reasoning by today's standards and all, is a landmark in the field. He went against the grain, a true iconoclast. The greatest climate prediction ever.

Bullsh1t back at you, you climate rube.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We know global warming is happening, we know the impact is bad now and getting worse.
There has been no increase in drought, fires, floods or hurricanes since 1950. In the IPCC's own words. You can flog a narrative that these things are getting worse, but in the courtroom where actual proof is required, "attribution science" is getting massacred.
Some of us are not stupid enough to claim business as usual will be fine, some of us are not so silly as to think that experimenting with the climate on the only habitable planet we now of is a good idea.
Where did I say it would be fine if it continues warming in perpetuity? We will get there in our own good time, if in fact our actions have any effect at all.

And I haven't advocated climate tinkering, such as blocking out the sun. I leave that to the AFL and Mr Burns.

Misrepresenting me for the 356th time.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Misrepresenting you?

Ok, if you want to identify as "stupid" I'm not going to argue the point.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Misrepresenting you?

Ok, if you want to identify as "stupid" I'm not going to argue the point.
Get your quoting right before calling me stupid.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As I said, if you want to identify as stupid go ahead.

Back to the real world, we know that global warming is already having an impact, here is what NASA says:

Global climate change has already had observable effects on the environment. Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and trees are flowering sooner.

Effects that scientists had predicted in the past would result from global climate change are now occurring: loss of sea ice, accelerated sea level rise and longer, more intense heat waves.

The impacts were predicted and are happening.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
As I said, if you want to identify as stupid go ahead.
Your previous post + quote made no sense.
Global climate change has already had observable effects on the environment. Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and trees are flowering sooner.
Terrible stuff!
Effects that scientists had predicted in the past would result from global climate change are now occurring: loss of sea ice, accelerated sea level rise and longer, more intense heat waves.
Yeah the Barbadian PM made an impassioned plea about death sentences while a new beachfront resort has just opened there, cheapest rooms a thousand a night. You'd think they'd be retreating from the coast if they believed their own rhetoric.

Antarctic sea ice has grown decade on decade since satellite records began, as well as ice mass. Fact is that 90% of global warming is occurring in the far north.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Antarctic Sea Ice has been stable, not growing:

s_plot_hires.png

Can't see that lasting though.

In any case, if the damage is elsewhere, does that mean we just don't care? Not an attitude I share.

Meanwhile, Africa suffers more droughts even though they have done very little to contribute to global warming: https://www.theage.com.au/world/afr...e-drought-kills-in-kenya-20211108-p596v7.html

While the Australian government does f*ck all about the inevitable move to renewables the Australian people are taking action in spite of the government's gross incompetence: https://www.theage.com.au/environme...holds-with-rooftop-solar-20211108-p59721.html No doubt ScoMo and his bunch of incompetents will claim credit for what we are doing.

Meanwhile, other countries are actually doing something about making the transition: https://reasonstobecheerful.world/o...uture-is-unfolding-at-the-edge-of-the-world/? It is an opportunity Australia is so well placed to take but we don't, and other countries go ahead and set themselves up for the future.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Scott Morrison to unveil plan to flood Australia with electric cars (paywalled)
A $250m government fund to install charging infrastructure and cut costs will be announced on Tuesday in the Prime Minister’s bid to get 1.7 million low and zero emission cars on the road by 2030.

In statement ahead of a visit to Toyota’s hydrogen centre in Altona, Mr Morrison said his cleaner cars strategy was expected to result in more than $500m of combined private and public co-investment and more than 2600 new jobs.

“We will not be forcing Australians out of the car they want to drive or penalising those who can least afford it through bans or taxes.”
Everyone's a winner. What a guy!

Greenest PM we've ever had. Everyone loves Scotty.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Scott Morrison to unveil plan to flood Australia with electric cars (paywalled)

Everyone's a winner. What a guy!

Greenest PM we've ever had. Everyone loves Scotty.
Greenwashing.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Greenwashing.

Nice of him to target the general population. Allows him to paint himself green without forcing industries and mining to follow suit.

I wonder if the next curry ScoMo is seen cooking will be a Thai Green Curry ?

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Conveniently neglects to mention the countries. Most likely those where you could drive to the border and back in your lunchtime.

Electric vehicles (currently) don't work for everyone in a vast country.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Conveniently neglects to mention the countries. Most likely those where you could drive to the border and back in your lunchtime.

Electric vehicles (currently) don't work for everyone in a vast country.
no one is talking about banning electric cars in Oz, but the majority of Australians drive their petrol cars in their local suburbs, occasionally venturing down the coast.
electric cars could work easily for most Australians, despite Morrison's rhetoric last election about them killing the weekend.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Electric cars are a gimmick unless you have clean power to charge them with.
Australia has the highest per capita rooftop solar panel uptake in the world, so EVs becoming less gimmicky

article below about a survey in Sydney and Hunter Valley shows most EV owners have rooftop solar

Pity manufacturers won't send their EVs here because, you know, the government

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
electric cars could work easily for most Australians, despite Morrison's rhetoric last election about them killing the weekend.
How long do they take to charge? Can you charge them from home? How long do they take to charge at home v at an authorised charging centre?

Can't say I've ever noticed a charging centre.