Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
2021 6th warmest on record, yes folks, climate change is happening and we are already seeing the impacts.

6th warmest is quite startling really, as Yale Climate Connections states:

The global warmth in 2021 is all the more striking as it occurred near the minimum of the weakest solar cycle in more than 100 years and during a year dominated by La Niña conditions — factors which tend to cool the globe. The warmth of 2021 is a testament to how significantly human-caused global warming is heating the planet.

It ain't the Sun, it is happening despite a La Nina . . . it's human activity which is the cause.

Full article here: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/01/noaa-nasa-name-2021-sixth-hottest-year-on-record/

DS

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
We're pretty much *smile*. It's not hard to see why many people choose to bury their heads in the sand on the issue, the inevitability of it all is super depressing, so I suppose it's easier to ignore it and keep on living the good life, or put complete faith in humans to "science" our way out of the issue. As the article above outlines, even touted solutions like carbon offsets are being corrupted by vested interests. Don't get me started the hot garbage known as carbon capture and storage, it's just another way to keep kicking the can down the road.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We're pretty much *smile*. It's not hard to see why many people choose to bury their heads in the sand on the issue, the inevitability of it all is super depressing, so I suppose it's easier to ignore it and keep on living the good life, or put complete faith in humans to "science" our way out of the issue. As the article above outlines, even touted solutions like carbon offsets are being corrupted by vested interests. Don't get me started the hot garbage known as carbon capture and storage, it's just another way to keep kicking the can down the road.
It's time to lop some heads off, BT.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I’ve always thought pricing carbon was the best solution.

My view on urgency has changed as I’ve heard a description of the remaining CO2 budget we have to stay under 2 degrees. And how many years we have at the current rate of consumption to do it. It’s very simple maths and pretty frightening given how long it takes to change stuff.

Obviously after you use your budget you need to be balanced in terms of co2 emissions (ie zero).

You can obviously argue a lot about if the the temp is rising or not and how big the budget really is - the problem is that it’s a runaway reaction - so you can’t wait for the outcome to make your decision - so the libertarians will never get on board.

1.5 is completely shot.

1F6B965F-6116-4C6C-9AF3-FAC021CF03CA.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
we've had about a metre of rain since last Wednesday.

500mm last night has created the biggest flood in white history,

and another 500m today,

will probably set a record that will stand for a decade

talk to any farmer whose been looking at our river flat for 5 generations,

and we've had two 1-100 year floods in a decade.

1 in 5 is the new 1 in 100.

dont be afraid of coal

I reckon The Nationals are going to be voted into oblivion this election.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
we've had about a metre of rain since last Wednesday.

500mm last night has created the biggest flood in white history,

and another 500m today,

will probably set a record that will stand for a decade

talk to any farmer whose been looking at our river flat for 5 generations,

and we've had two 1-100 year floods in a decade.

1 in 5 is the new 1 in 100.

dont be afraid of coal

I reckon The Nationals are going to be voted into oblivion this election.

Bloody hope so.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We're all going to be impacted by man made climate change.
What's clear is this Government won't be there for you. Disaster payments won't be coming your way & insurance rates are going through the roof.
We need Federal leadership that will address this issue seriously. Time for fossil fuels to be declared the enemy of humanity & renewable energy fast tracked & funded.
If Australian Governments can condemn the likes of Russia & China on a global stage we can sure make a difference on climate change too. Australia needs to play it's part.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We're all going to be impacted by man made climate change.
What's clear is this Government won't be there for you. Disaster payments won't be coming your way & insurance rates are going through the roof.
We need Federal leadership that will address this issue seriously. Time for fossil fuels to be declared the enemy of humanity & renewable energy fast tracked & funded.
If Australian Governments can condemn the likes of Russia & China on a global stage we can sure make a difference on climate change too. Australia needs to play it's part.
i dont think thats fair on the poor old LIbs, they did set up a GoFundMe page to help.

• Dislike
  • Haha

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
With western oil companies getting out of JV arrangements with Russian oil, expect worse enviro outcomes given who will replace them will no doubt care less about such things. Also with west looking to exit their reliance on Russian fossil fuels, they will have to ramp up their own production. The energy transition in the west has been dealt a big blow.