Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Big Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jul 15, 2013
No, it is warming just the way it was predicted to:

https://www.universetoday.com/14232...y-accurate-within-1-20th-of-a-degree-celsius/

Of course, some seem to have trouble distinguishing weather from climate, which means they end up gullible enough to believe the BS thrown around by the deniers who have been flailing around changing their arguments every 5 minutes for decades.

Personally I prefer to believe those who have studied climate for years and actually have some expertise.

DS

PS, Big Tiger, I note you disliked my post above, which just tells me you dislike facts getting in the way of your prejudices. So be it, but disliking a post which merely points to the actual facts which disprove the assertions made (can't remember if you made them and can't be bothered looking) says a lot about your willingness to accept reality.
If you want to know, the main reason I disliked your post , was because you were being semantic with your "facts". You selectively add some of the coalition's votes in by adding the LNP from Qld, but leave out the rest. If you add the full coalition's votes from your numbers they got nearly half a million more than Labor. You were disputing general throwaway lines of people/someone's (not mine) saying the Liberals got more votes than Labor. Its a genuine coalition between the Nats and Libs, so a more accurate representation would be the total coalition's votes. Not that it really matters because the coalition lost the election, but hey, don't let those facts get in the way of your biases!

I also don't agree with all your comments around Govt debt.

And if you want a laugh on climate scaremongering gone wrong from a so called expert, just google former Chief Commissioner of the Climate Commission, Tim Flannery, and see how his dire dam predictions and us being in a "permanent state of drought" stack up today.

I would have thought covid modelling/predicting by "experts" and "the science" and how wrong most of it was proved miles wrong, often within short passages of time, might have lead to people questioning similar assertions by "experts" in other fields. Assertions/predictions, often by people with self interest, need to be treated sceptically, particularly when it doesn't pass the pub test.

I note how you love your experts, what constitutes an expert these days? Tim Flannery? Norman Swan? Brett Sutton?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If you want to know cry baby, the main reason I disliked your post , was because you were being semantic with your "facts". You selectively add some of the coalition's votes in by adding the LNP from Qld, but leave out the rest. If you add the full coalition's votes from your numbers they got nearly half a million more than Labor. You were disputing general throwaway lines of people/someone's (not mine) saying the Liberals got more votes than Labor. Its a genuine coalition between the Nats and Libs, so a more accurate representation would be the total coalition's votes. Not that it really matters because the coalition lost the election, but hey, don't let those facts get in the way of your biases!

Ahem

Morrison got more votes than Albo,but preferences got him in,the majority of preferences came from the Greens.

There's this guy, let me look up his name, that's right, it's David Littleproud (appropriate?), anyway, he's the leader of the National Party and Scott Morrison isn't. Morrison was leader of the Liberal Party, so, no, he did not get more primary votes than Albanese.

We were talking about climate change and I showed how the models are very good at predicting what would happen. So, you reply by changing the topic, very revealing.

I trust experts in their field. Who do you propose I trust, people who know little or nothing?

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
oh look, turns out the climate is warming after all - based on actual emperical evidence and, you know, science.

Of course its just the BOM and the CSIRO but we can't trust scientists can we? Science "fails the pub test" apparently.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
oh look, turns out the climate is warming after all - based on actual emperical evidence and, you know, science.

Of course its just the BOM and the CSIRO but we can't trust scientists can we? Science "fails the pub test" apparently.

Plenty of people still clinging to *smile*. Everything fails the pub test these days apparently. Depends which pub you're in I suppose

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015

So if the sea level is rising,places like Altona,Port Melbourne,Middle Park,and some other's will be wiped out.
Some places are currently at Sea level,and have been for a long time,,l don't see the Australian governments federal/state saying much about this.
Erosion is one of the major issues living on the coast.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So if the sea level is rising,places like Altona,Port Melbourne,Middle Park,and some other's will be wiped out.
Some places are currently at Sea level,and have been for a long time,,l don't see the Australian governments federal/state saying much about this.

So ignore the science and data because Morrison ignored it?

Yeah, nah.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

One thing I'm not sure why we aren't dealing with quickly is the sea. It seems like the most logical area we can fix and most likely quicker than anything else we are attempting. This is the exert from the article.

"The report finds marine life is experiencing longer and more frequent heatwaves and oceans are acidifying about 10 times faster than at any time over the past 300m years. The acidification is caused by the extra CO2 in the air above.

As the oceans heat up, sea levels are rising around the continent at an annual rate of 2-3mm in most places and as much as 7-8mm in the Gulf of Carpentaria and the waters around Sydney.

Several glaciers in the west of Antarctica are destabilised, the report says, and glaciers and ice sheets around the world are melting, further adding to sea levels.

The largest area of sea ice recorded by satellites around Antarctica was in September 2014, but since then there has been a “marked, abrupt and relatively persistent decrease” in sea-ice extent, which in early 2022 fell below 2m sq km for the first time since observations began."

The oceans are acidifying quickly, due to more CO2 in the air being absorbed into the natural sink that is the ocean. This invariably heats the oceans and will cause ongoing issues around coral bleaching and glacier reductions. This is well known, and we also know that due to the increased levels of CO2 in the ocean, some parts of the ocean are essentially now left with very little oxygen and therefore no marine life.

We also know that seaweed is the fastest growing crop on the planet. It grows roughly twice as quickly as bamboo which is the fastest growing land plant, so why are we not setting up enormous seaweed farms throughout the ocean. The seaweed will suck the CO2 out of the water, and produce oxygen as well as providing a significant feedstock. We can either look to increase the amount of seaweed going into human diets, or more likely replace grains etc as feed for livestock, providing access to a significant land grab, to either increase the level of mixed farming for human consumption, or restore the land to its natural state.

Anyone know why seaweed farms aren't high on the COP27 agenda? It seems to me as a layman an obvious and relatively easy thing to roll out.

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
So ignore the science and data because Morrison ignored it?

Yeah, nah.
So what is being done for these areas if it is such a crisis ,and lm using some Victorian cities as a example,Im sure each state will have cities the same

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So what is being done for these areas if it is such a crisis ,and lm using some Victorian cities as a example,Im sure each state will have cities the same
Not much, Dan's too busy committing unspeakable crimes

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
One thing I'm not sure why we aren't dealing with quickly is the sea. It seems like the most logical area we can fix and most likely quicker than anything else we are attempting. This is the exert from the article.

"The report finds marine life is experiencing longer and more frequent heatwaves and oceans are acidifying about 10 times faster than at any time over the past 300m years. The acidification is caused by the extra CO2 in the air above.

As the oceans heat up, sea levels are rising around the continent at an annual rate of 2-3mm in most places and as much as 7-8mm in the Gulf of Carpentaria and the waters around Sydney.

Several glaciers in the west of Antarctica are destabilised, the report says, and glaciers and ice sheets around the world are melting, further adding to sea levels.

The largest area of sea ice recorded by satellites around Antarctica was in September 2014, but since then there has been a “marked, abrupt and relatively persistent decrease” in sea-ice extent, which in early 2022 fell below 2m sq km for the first time since observations began."

The oceans are acidifying quickly, due to more CO2 in the air being absorbed into the natural sink that is the ocean. This invariably heats the oceans and will cause ongoing issues around coral bleaching and glacier reductions. This is well known, and we also know that due to the increased levels of CO2 in the ocean, some parts of the ocean are essentially now left with very little oxygen and therefore no marine life.

We also know that seaweed is the fastest growing crop on the planet. It grows roughly twice as quickly as bamboo which is the fastest growing land plant, so why are we not setting up enormous seaweed farms throughout the ocean. The seaweed will suck the CO2 out of the water, and produce oxygen as well as providing a significant feedstock. We can either look to increase the amount of seaweed going into human diets, or more likely replace grains etc as feed for livestock, providing access to a significant land grab, to either increase the level of mixed farming for human consumption, or restore the land to its natural state.

Anyone know why seaweed farms aren't high on the COP27 agenda? It seems to me as a layman an obvious and relatively easy thing to roll out.
Cop is the biggest joke around,they are saying countries like Australia,should be paying money to developing countries,and China/India are developing countries.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah as l thought no answer :rolleyes:
Dude, I don't live in Victoria but I can do some research for you after I finish researching what crimes Dan has committed. Or you could save me some time and add some facts to your claims.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So what is being done for these areas if it is such a crisis ,and l'm using some Victorian cities as a example, I'm sure each state will have cities the same

Clearly not enough is being done, by a very very large margin. We should have started acting decades ago, but, you know, deniers keep getting coverage and this slows any action.

What of it?

At least we now have some, inadequate, targets to reduce emissions, and not enough action on actually meeting those targets. What now needs to be done is for Australia to get out of fossil fuel exports, trouble is there are too many who oppose this, and to implement the changes which need to happen you have to get elected. Meanwhile the mainstream media just keeps pumping up the denialist lies and making sure nothing is done.

DS

• Dislike

Big Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Jul 15, 2013

Nothing that hasn't been seen before, and a very long time ago. Just in little spike, in fact was higher 100,000 years ago. So relax, kick back and turn on the air conditioner, have a steak and maybe find a pub test that doesn't look at a small sample/period of time for its "facts".

Australian academy of science, seeing how you love your scientists

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nothing that hasn't been seen before, and a very long time ago. Just in little spike, in fact was higher 100,000 years ago. So relax, kick back and turn on the air conditioner, have a steak and maybe find a pub test that doesn't look at a small sample/period of time for its "facts".

Australian academy of science, seeing how you love your scientists

The backflips are so easy to predict - "climate change is a hoax" is usually followed by "the climate has always changed". The second part of this is of course true - the more interesting question is what is the effect of change on ecosystems, human and other populations.

If you want to really get down to rigorous pub testing you could look at causalities and rates of change - there's some homework for you Big Tiges.