Going to Ground Syndrome | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Going to Ground Syndrome

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How good is Mark Coughlan for us !? I wish we had a couple more of him. His ability to get into heavy traffic and get his hands on the ball, his tackling and his courage are just fantastic. His aerobic ability is improving all the time as well. I am certain that he has got to be polling very well in the Brownlow at the moment with his efforts so far this season. The way he was applauded off the field by tens of thousands of RFC faithful in the last quarter when he took a knee to the face was just sensational. Real spine tingling stuff. This kid is just magnificent and he has already established himself as a member's favourite.

To that end, I reckon the caoching staff could use him as an example to a couple of other players - most notably the way he hardly ever goes to ground.

Don't know if you've noticed, but he almost always tries to stand up in a tackle and get a handball away. Or if he's in a one on one contest in space with someone hanging of him, he rarely slides and drops his knees to the ground when picking up the ball, staying on his feet and looking to avoid the inevitable tackle instead.

Contrast this with the following players who have Going to Ground Syndrome (GGS): Joel Bowden (worst offender), Brad Ottens (second worst offender), Matthew Rogers, Kayne Pettifer and Ray Hall.

All these guys slide to the ground when someone is on their hammer. Bowden did it several times out on the wings against Essendon on Saturday. Whenever any of them are being chased closey while trying to pick the ball up, they invariably slide to ground risking a holding the ball decision and limiting their ability to get a correct disposal away.

I say Dud Frawley should get guys like Coughlan and Bake's Cameron to show them how to keep their feet.