Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
TigerForce said:
I suppose 78kgs for his height is too light, but how heavy can East Africans get?
Same ethnic group as Majak Daw. He was slender as a youngster. A few years in the gym, look at his physique now. Certainly a well muscled lad.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
TigerForce said:
Yep, that's what I like too.

I suppose 78kgs for his height is too light, but how heavy can East Africans get?

Manute Bol, NBA great, weighed in at 93kgs, according to wiki.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
Same ethnic group as Majak Daw. He was slender as a youngster. A few years in the gym, look at his physique now. Certainly a well muscled lad.

Needs to join the Tiger Binge list with Beano and Menadue. ;D

Brodders17 said:
Manute Bol, NBA great, weighed in at 93kgs, according to wiki.

Yeah, good pick up. Totally forgot about Bol (RIP)

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Wowsers, 198cm and still growing! Lock him away and stack on some meat then let him loose!!!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Certainly has some X factor.....looks like he has the tools too play anywhere...good luck to the young man

Reactions: 1 user

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Love his sweeping kicking action.

He'll get on well with the other Sudanese Queenslanders at the club... :p

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
blx said:
Love his sweeping kicking action.

He'll get on well with the other Sudanese Queenslanders at the club... :p

Jokes aside. My observation is that Australian rules seems to be a sport of choice amongst Sudanese kids in Queensland. Seems a higher percentage of kids of Sudanese background choose Aussie rules (and do well at it) than across the general populace of kids in QLD (given the ingrained culture for rugby codes).

Any QLDers that can verify if this is a correct casual observation?

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Panthera Tigris said:
Jokes aside. My observation is that Australian rules seems to be a sport of choice amongst Sudanese kids in Queensland. Seems a higher percentage of kids of Sudanese background choose Aussie rules (and do well at it) than across the general populace of kids in QLD (given the ingrained culture for rugby codes).

True.
Not to say some Sudanese arent playing rugby, but there are entire AFL teams of Sudanese here.
With some, there's some further skill development required.
All of them have outstanding athletic traits
ALL of them

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:

I co-coached a team at a primary school lightening premiership, under 12s, at Chol's old Yeronga home ground actually. Our team was mostly indigenous kids. The schools from areas with a lot of African people had a lot of African kids. And there were a lot of teams like that. I spoke to a couple of other coaches and they said they take to it like ducks to water, and a decent proportion want to play it over soccer.

Peaka

Tiger Rookie
Feb 14, 2005
Picks like this that will require two or three years of development are exactly what the rookie draft should be used for along with second chances and overlooked players like Marcon.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
tigersnake said:
I co-coached a team at a primary school lightening premiership, under 12s, at Chol's old Yeronga home ground actually. Our team was mostly indigenous kids. The schools from areas with a lot of African people had a lot of African kids. And there were a lot of teams like that. I spoke to a couple of other coaches and they said they take to it like ducks to water, and a decent proportion want to play it over soccer.
Qld Indigenous kids too? Sounds great. Interestingly, apart from Rahn Hooper, there haven't been many indigenous blokes from non-AFL territory being drafted. And even though indigenous kids do play the rugby codes, you get the sense it isn't as ingrained as part of their social fabric as AFL is amongst their indigenous counterparts in AFL states. Some untapped potential amongst indigenous kids in QLD/NSW perhaps?

Regarding Sudanese kids. I work with a bloke from northern Sudan (totally unrelated ethnic group to most Sudanese migrants in Aust, whom are Dinka, I think it is). His comment. These guys arrive in Australia. There is a peculiar sport played nowhere else, that is just made for them. It's like all the stars have aligned. Hence why they likely play it in disproportionate numbers in the non-AFL states.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Panthera Tigris said:

I read tbe other day that Allir Allir (Lions?) has turned from a stick into absolute unit. Chol has wide shoulders will fill out I reckon.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
ToraToraTora said:
I read tbe other day that Allir Allir (Lions?) has turned from a stick into absolute unit. Chol has wide shoulders will fill out I reckon.
Allir is at the Swans I think. Interesting one he is. Took up the sport in QLD, and played most of his junior days there. Moved to WA to be with extended family and played 1 season there before being drafted. So really another QLD product (via Sudan & Kenya) you could say.