Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
funny coincidence. I was at a christmas function last night, there was a bloke in a tigers polo so I said Hi. Turns out he is one of Mabior's high school teachers at Yeronga. Said he was flat after the draft because he was interviewed by 8 sides, but now he's stoked after being rookied by us. Said he's a great kid, a lynchpin of every school side, basketball, athletics, rugby, league and union, and footy.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Not quite as talented as Nyuon as far as the ruckwork is concerned but probably just as good around the ground. Plenty to work with and a solid rookie pick.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
His decision making impressed me the most particularly his handball skills from within packs. Quite impressed, hope he comes on.

Slinger

Tiger Cub
May 27, 2013
Baloo said:
July 9 is Sudan's Independence Day. Let's lobby the AFL to lock that in as a RFC v North Marquee game where we have the calendar to ourselves.

Yeah, nah.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
tigersnake said:
funny coincidence. I was at a christmas function last night, there was a bloke in a tigers polo so I said Hi. Turns out he is one of Mabior's high school teachers at Yeronga. Said he was flat after the draft because he was interviewed by 8 sides, but now he's stoked after being rookied by us. Said he's a great kid, a lynchpin of every school side, basketball, athletics, rugby, league and union, and footy.

Thanks for sharing that one snake.
When does the Chol move to Melbourne?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Panthera Tigris said:
Jokes aside. My observation is that Australian rules seems to be a sport of choice amongst Sudanese kids in Queensland. Seems a higher percentage of kids of Sudanese background choose Aussie rules (and do well at it) than across the general populace of kids in QLD (given the ingrained culture for rugby codes).

Any QLDers that can verify if this is a correct casual observation?
Could simply be more a trait of natural physical development than culture or choice of codes. Large proportion of the Sudanese kids appear to be of the stick insect variety. Mainly tall skinny arms n legs going in all sorts of directions, with the capacity to put on beef after they've finished growing upwards. Physique would be more suited to basket ball or Aussie rules as kids. Whereas many kids of islander descent seem to be suited to the explosive power n bulk favored in rugby n league.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Seems we've finally got the hang of how to use the rookie list. State league guns + young guys with potential instead of proven AFL hacks. Chol may take time, but both he and Marcon could play a bit of footy for us over the next few years.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
St Kevin said:
Seems we've finally got the hang of how to use the rookie list. State league guns + young guys with potential instead of proven AFL hacks. Chol may take time, but both he and Marcon could play a bit of footy for us over the next few years.

We haven't ditched the recycled philosophy altogether, Townsend & Moore still need to prove themselves. I guess it comes down to evaluating each case individually, Miles was a big win, others have been abject failures. But I do agree, the rookie draft has seen some major gains over the past 2 years, I think Frank has finally twigged onto the winning formula. I'm still a bit unsure about picking players with major kicking faults however in Callum Moore's case, he hasn't necessarily developed habits of a lifetime, particularly in light of the fact he has a basketball & rugby background. I'd like to think of him as an Irish recruit who is adjusting to the AFL, it can be done with some hard work and expert tutelage.

As for Chol, I think he has some excellent qualities and perhaps the most pleasing aspect is his extremely fluid kicking action, something which he can execute at full pace. His repeat sprint times were also at the elite level, hopefully these two features of his game can elevate him to bonafide AFL ruckman status.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Is going to be a player of some interest among Tiger fans over the next couple of seasons as he, hopefully, develops into a decent AFL footballer.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
bullus_hit said:
We haven't ditched the recycled philosophy altogether, Townsend & Moore still need to prove themselves. I guess it comes down to evaluating each case individually,
Don't mind the recycled philosophy if it's used more for 22 tp 24 y.o. players that have just come through that period of development n maturing into adult player, done right there's plenty of opportunity to get a solid citizen with still some improvement available. Not to sure there's a lot to be achieved by hunting up recycled's at the 25 to 28 bracket unless he's a genuine quality player rather than a fringe struggler.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
Don't mind the recycled philosophy if it's used more for 22 tp 24 y.o. players that have just come through that period of development n maturing into adult player, done right there's plenty of opportunity to get a solid citizen with still some improvement available. Not to sure there's a lot to be achieved by hunting up recycled's at the 25 to 28 bracket unless he's a genuine quality player rather than a fringe struggler.

That's a fair comment, guys like Azza Edwards & Orren Stephenson were simply clogging up the system, there was clearly no long term strategy in recruiting these two fringe dwellers. Hopefully Townsend finds his niche as the next Creepy Crowley, I think he has the tools to be an irritating tagger and we can certainly do with one. Moore's an interesting one, didn't fit in at a club that placed a premium on pace, I would have thought we are heading in that direction ourselves. Maybe he's just insurance or maybe Blair has identified an untapped skill set, I just hope he's not another carbon copy of Adam Thomson.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
bullus_hit said:
That's a fair comment, guys like Azza Edwards & Orren Stephenson were simply clogging up the system, there was clearly no long term strategy in recruiting these two fringe dwellers.

the strategy was we did not have enough depth so we recruited mature players who could plug gaps when needed. now we have a deeper list these types arent needed.
Hampson and Morris are the only guys 26y+ who wont be regulars, but we have plenty of guys 20-25 who will be fighting for games.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
I can't wait to see how Mabior progresses in our VFL team next year. He's an exciting pick who looks to have the right skills and most importantly, general game awareness.

Well done Tigers on a great and bold selection.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Brodders17 said:
the strategy was we did not have enough depth so we recruited mature players who could plug gaps when needed. now we have a deeper list these types arent needed.
Hampson and Morris are the only guys 26y+ who wont be regulars, but we have plenty of guys 20-25 who will be fighting for games.

Part of the reason we have a massive age gap in our ruck stocks is due to Stephenson, for the 7 games he contributed was it really worth it? Geelong delisted Orren and picked up Blicavs in the rookie draft, that to me is good list management not grabbing a 30 y/o with 8 games experience. Edwards was another wasted pick, 12 games in two years is a failure in my opinion. Glad we've smartened up our act.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Love the 'Stick'. Hope we get another one next year.
th

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Part of the reason we have a massive age gap in our ruck stocks is due to Stephenson, for the 7 games he contributed was it really worth it? Geelong delisted Orren and picked up Blicavs in the rookie draft, that to me is good list management not grabbing a 30 y/o with 8 games experience. Edwards was another wasted pick, 12 games in two years is a failure in my opinion. Glad we've smartened up our act.

Hard to argue with that BH.