Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Yeah tried hard to find it mate.... closest I came across. ...
Bonus was I found my favourite shot of the year which is over on the Syd Stack thread!

You’re a gun on the internet aoc.
Wish I had half your skills. I just make *smile* up to stay relevant

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
When he did that baulk my sister, wife and friends started singing "Chol" to Spandau Ballet's "Gold"

"You are Chol (Chol)
Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructible, always believe in,

Cos you are
Chol (Chol)
I'm glad that you're bound to return
Something I could have learned
You're indestructible, always believe in"

I pissed myself laughing
Dont remember the last line in the original....

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
When he did that baulk my sister, wife and friends started singing "Chol" to Spandau Ballet's "Gold"

"You are Chol (Chol)

Cos you are
Chol (Chol)

I pissed myself laughing

Must've been good weed. I'd have spat my Twisties across the room.

• Angry
  • Haha

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney

"You are Chol (Chol)

Cos you are
Chol (Chol)

I pissed myself laughing
FU Birds.

Now I've got that bloody song running around in my head and it won;t go away.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I’m going to upset a few Cholly fans here ( I really admire his rapid improvement) but there is no way I’d play him as a 2nd ruckman playing 3rd forward in a final. ATM he’s getting between 45-55% game time and very low numbers. Apart from structure, is this going to cut it in a final? If you thought he was going to get at least 13 quality possessions and a goal, no problem. But he needs to take overhead marks around the ground and play as a tall. Unfortunately I have no alternatives other than playing Caddy and concede some centre bounces! We won a Premiership with one tall forward in Jack with support from Towner and Caddy.
Can we restructure to go 2 talls in the forward line and our rucks rotating off the bench? That’s a large shift in game plan ( carrying 4 talls in the team )and a loss of a running type player in the line up.
Interesting times.

*Soldo won’t play if Nanks is available

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Two things to note about the Sudanese Slingshot:
  1. When he shepparded Lynch for a goal, that indicates he's staying involved for second and third efforts, and getting from contest to contest. This is what Mabs said Dimma has asked of him. So he's coachable and capable of self-discipline in the heat of battle.
  2. When he baulked and sold some candy, that indicates a growing confidence to play with flair. Which means he's driven by a sense of fun not fear. And that's reflective of our culture.

Nice observations Albert

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I’m going to upset a few Cholly fans here ( I really admire his rapid improvement) but there is no way I’d play him as a 2nd ruckman playing 3rd forward in a final. ATM he’s getting between 45-55% game time and very low numbers. Apart from structure, is this going to cut it in a final? If you thought he was going to get at least 13 quality possessions and a goal, no problem. But he needs to take overhead marks around the ground and play as a tall. Unfortunately I have no alternatives other than playing Caddy and concede some centre bounces! We won a Premiership with one tall forward in Jack with support from Towner and Caddy.
Can we restructure to go 2 talls in the forward line and our rucks rotating off the bench? That’s a large shift in game plan ( carrying 4 talls in the team )and a loss of a running type player in the line up.
Interesting times.

In his favour is that the two big ruck fellas are working at the moment. My guess is that we will continue to test and refine this strategy against the weagles and lions with Nank instead of Soldo to see if it works.

Win those games and then the question becomes why change a winning formula.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
ATM he’s getting between 45-55% game time and very low numbers. Apart from structure, is this going to cut it in a final?
On the subject of low numbers, last week Grundy had the fewest disposals he's had in over three years. Chol was part of the unit tasked with making that happen.

Chol also shepparded one of Lynch's goals, and did other pressure acts and one-percenters. Not all of that shows up in the stats. When up forward, Chol also helps to separate key defenders. Again, you may not get a stat for that. And this allows Riewoldt and/or Lynch to get up the ground more.

And if one of our talls goes down in a final, especially Nank, what do we do? I don't want to see Lynch or Jack at a centre bounce.

Think of Chol as a handy upgrade on Townsend, and you won't be far off the mark. Not like for like, and that's exactly my point. Instead of Towner trying to negate a defender, that defender will be trying to negate Chol.

Reactions: 4 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
I think the combination of either Chol and Nank or Chol and Soldo are a vital cog for a deep September push. He gives us an out if we have a ruck injury during a match, is a straight kick for goal and is athletic enough to be another intercept mark and run off the backline. Chol adds options and is hard to match up on.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Interesting times.

I think it is a reasonable observation. He is partly playing on potential at the moment, with the expectation that he will continue to improve and impact the game more. But it is also a fact that his touches are effective, eg. the sublime delivery into the forward line, the reliable set shot for goal, etc.

I also have concerns about how he may perform in a final. However he is just as likely to get off the leash and win matches (particularly with all the attention on Lynch and Jack).

He is tantalizing...

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Is it too much to ask a role player to kick a couple of bags of 6+ before finals to cement his spot?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Interesting times.

We are basically playing Chol and Soldo off the bench now, with a cameo up forward for Chol when Jack or Lynch go off. They were all on the field more last week with Cotch off, but i dont think we will go tall too often, and Chols mins will prob drop as Jack gains fitness.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just learnt Ralph Carr is Mabs manager, how lucky are we that the Tige's have 3 players in his stable :mad:

• Haha
  • Angry