Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
TigerForce said:
Yep, that's what I like too.

I suppose 78kgs for his height is too light, but how heavy can East Africans get?

Manute Bol in the NBA, he was like a stink insect

Edit: see that he was mentioned. 93kgs..... 2.31m though!!

images

pumped

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 14, 2014
CC TIGER said:
Why wouldn't Brissy have taken him? Does he lack endurance ? Attitude ? .....glad they didn't

I just think Brissy have more pressing needs and less time/resources for 'projects' with an already healthy list of rucks (Martin, West, Andrews) and talls (Freeman Walker Close Paparone McStay)

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
I recently caught up with a mate who works with a lot of Sudanese kids here in Melbourne and he predicts that in 10 years time, the Boomers basketball side will be half Sudanese as well.

The athleticism is extraordinary and this kid looks no different. Love his kicking and contested marking.

Also love that the top 3 in the combine repeat sprinting was Rioli, Markov, Chol.

Catch us if you can!

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Really love the look of this kid, can take a strong mark, combined with a good leap is a great combo . Neat left foot kick and looks to know what he is doing in traffic, I like it

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Panthera Tigris said:
Qld Indigenous kids too? Sounds great. Interestingly, apart from Rahn Hooper, there haven't been many indigenous blokes from non-AFL territory being drafted. And even though indigenous kids do play the rugby codes, you get the sense it isn't as ingrained as part of their social fabric as AFL is amongst their indigenous counterparts in AFL states. Some untapped potential amongst indigenous kids in QLD/NSW perhaps?

Regarding Sudanese kids. I work with a bloke from northern Sudan (totally unrelated ethnic group to most Sudanese migrants in Aust, whom are Dinka, I think it is). His comment. These guys arrive in Australia. There is a peculiar sport played nowhere else, that is just made for them. It's like all the stars have aligned. Hence why they likely play it in disproportionate numbers in the non-AFL states.

pokey said:
I recently caught up with a mate who works with a lot of Sudanese kids here in Melbourne and he predicts that in 10 years time, the Boomers basketball side will be half Sudanese as well.

The athleticism is extraordinary and this kid looks no different. Love his kicking and contested marking.

Also love that the top 3 in the combine repeat sprinting was Rioli, Markov, Chol.

Catch us if you can!
A comment I think Shifter Sheahan made about this draft is that the AFL is winning the contest for the big, athletic kids. The Mckays are serious 200cm athletes yet to turn 18. Harry moves like a half-forward and kicks fluidly and accurately. Both strong in the air, particularly Ben. Carlton can be well happy with H and Weitering to build on.

Chol, wow. This kid has skills and athleticism. An opportunity, for him, us and the AFL fight for the African kids. I live in Richmond and there are plenty of African kids in the commmision flats here and on Hoddle.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Having watched the highlights, this kid excites me the most out of all of the draftees. Height, speed, agility, marking and a decent shoe. Also looked to have a bit of mongrel pushing off a bloke with attitude. No string bean either, will put on size easily.

Exactly what our list needs

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Though it's just a highlight package and you forget all the uneducated mock drafts floating around the net, most wouldn't be unhappy to see his qualitys with a pick 15.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
BrisTiger24 said:
Having watched the highlights, this kid excites me the most out of all of the draftees. Height, speed, agility, marking and a decent shoe. Also looked to have a bit of mongrel pushing off a bloke with attitude. No string bean either, will put on size easily.

The only concern is that Majak Daw has all those as well and he hasn't come on. I am not saying Chol won't only that all these traits are not enough.

He is a rookie pick so risk reward is very strong here.

We have 4 development talls now in Chol, Moore, Mckenzie and Soldo as well as Elton, McBean, Hampson and Astbury not in the current best 22 so we have some depth.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Sintiger said:
The only concern is that Majak Daw has all those as well and he hasn't come on. I am not saying Chol won't only that all these traits are not enough.

He is a rookie pick so risk reward is very strong here.

We have 4 development talls now in Chol, Moore, Mckenzie and Soldo as well as Elton, McBean, Hampson and Astbury not in the current best 22 so we have some depth.
Daw's problem is that while he has athleticism he doesn't seem to read the game. If Chol can read the play better than Daw then he'll go on and do some good things. His highlight reel is certainly impressive.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
BrisTiger24 said:

Yep.

I've never had a man-crush this intense before.

Release the Chol

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
CarnTheTiges said:
Daw's problem is that while he has athleticism he doesn't seem to read the game. If Chol can read the play better than Daw then he'll go on and do some good things. His highlight reel is certainly impressive.

I agree Carn. Haven't seen enough of him personally but from highlight reels certainly can read the flight ok as approx half of it was made up of terrific marking, the fact he uses his left foot so well indicates to me he grew up with footy as we all have done.

The other pleasing aspect is from the others in this thread who have had a little to do with him he seems like a great kid...

As opposed to Daws who has had incident after incident at roos!

Im really excited by this pick as has all the attributes and athletically gifted, give the boy some time, next year in VFL we will see how much time i imagine!

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Tigertough1974 said:
I agree Carn. Haven't seen enough of him personally but from highlight reels certainly can read the flight ok as approx half of it was made up of terrific marking, the fact he uses his left foot so well indicates to me he grew up with footy as we all have done.

The other pleasing aspect is from the others in this thread who have had a little to do with him he seems like a great kid...

As opposed to Daws who has had incident after incident at roos!

Im really excited by this pick as has all the attributes and athletically gifted, give the boy some time, next year in VFL we will see how much time i imagine!

Further to this Daw didn't start playing until his teens whereas Chol started at 6. It should come fairly naturally to Chol based on that. He just needs to grow his body and learn to use his weapons to his and the team's advantage.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
sausage_meat69 said:
Further to this Daw didn't start playing until his teens whereas Chol started at 6. It should come fairly naturally to Chol based on that. He just needs to grow his body and learn to use his weapons to his and the team's advantage.

not quite. started playing 6 years ago, according to AFLQ, first game of school footy 6 years ago, first game of club footy 5 years ago.
http://www.aflq.com.au/1-day-until-the-draft-mabior-chol/

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Brodders17 said:
not quite. started playing 6 years ago, according to AFLQ, first game of school footy 6 years ago, first game of club footy 5 years ago.
http://www.aflq.com.au/1-day-until-the-draft-mabior-chol/

I stand corrected. I'll track down the article I read. Maybe he started in the playground at 6?