Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I don't think Ryan is as far off as you think. He's nearly 21 (recruited as a mature ager) and if he has a big summer in the gym reckon he will surprise a few next year.
I am not able to see much of VFL so can only comment, if a trifle unfairly, on his one AFL match. The lad has something but reckon he is two seasons away from the bigtime

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
What was that scuttlebutt about Balme saying that Soldo was flying?

If Soldo is right to go next year (surprising to me) that moves Mabs back to #3 ruck and he would be looking for an opportunity at #2. And if we keep CJ he's probably already passed Mabs. That would make Mabs #4 ruck. And then if Ryan improves he could pass Chol next year. Mabs then #5 ruck.

As a #3 ruck Mabior is not worth much currency - salary or hypothetical draft choices. I think he would be mad not to look for new opportunities. And if Balme really did say that "Soldo is flying" he is making that very clear to Chol and his management.
I bet Mate passes Chol as a ruck next year…

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I am not able to see much of VFL so can only comment, if a trifle unfairly, on his one AFL match. The lad has something but reckon he is two seasons away from the bigtime

He's looked good in the VFL this year (when its been played). I'd hope they've known that the VFL season was likely to be cancelled for a while now, and those that need the rest have taken it, and those that don't are in the gym either working their cardio or their muscle mass.

He's more a forward than a ruck from what I've seen.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
I bet Mate passes Chol as a ruck next year…
The guy hasn't even touched a football yet and his fitness is based on running up and down a basketball court. Would be amazed if he averaged more than 4-5 disposals a game next year and got close to running out a VFL game without dying

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Unfortunately the FA period is before the trade period. I have an inkling we'd keep Mabs if we could get something like Hollands or GC's pick 4 in a deal for CJ.
Looking at the list and the no of rucks currently on it, it looks like one will go. Sense the same and that there is a preference to keep Marbiol.
Love either of those deals to go through, maybe to include Caddy also.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
.& probly more a wing than a fwd .
.pace, closing tackle, elite kick at speed & a tall option from kickins/def. stops - one of the big issues with our addiction to smalls.

.aerial unknown contact & tests of strength/wrestling not his trademark - never will be.
.why never tried on a wing confounds me... why not prime him for the role over summer with defensive running?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
.& probly more a wing than a fwd .
.pace, closing tackle, elite kick at speed & a tall option from kickins/def. stops - one of the big issues with our addiction to smalls.

.aerial unknown contact & tests of strength/wrestling not his trademark - never will be.
.why never tried on a wing confounds me... why not prime him for the role over summer with defensive running?

Coz Marks ain’t Richo

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He's looked good in the VFL this year (when its been played). I'd hope they've known that the VFL season was likely to be cancelled for a while now, and those that need the rest have taken it, and those that don't are in the gym either working their cardio or their muscle mass.

He's more a forward than a ruck from what I've seen.
Thanks for that update. Sure does cheer me up!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
4 years at GC? Mabs would have bitten their arm off. A chance to go home.

I hope he makes it. Has talent but was given every opportunity with us & didn't take it.

Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007
Expecting a 3rd rounder but geez id do cartwheels if we got a 2nd rounder for Mabs

Out of contract Tigers teammate Mabior Chol, who is an unrestricted free agent, is likely to accept an offer from Gold Coast.

The four-year contract offer is likely to earn the Tigers a third-round compensation pick. Potentially the pick could be as early as the second round, but that is doubtful and will hinge on the final amount of the contract.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
The four-year contract offer is likely to earn the Tigers a third-round compensation pick. Potentially the pick could be as early as the second round, but that is doubtful and will hinge on the final amount of the contract.
Its us, so no chance we get looked after. What did we get for Ellis who went up there on a 5 year deal? 3rd rounder?Wasnt fair compensation at all from memory.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
4 years at GC? Mabs would have bitten their arm off. A chance to go home.

I hope he makes it. Has talent but was given every opportunity with us & didn't take it.
Glad GC are signing him for 4 years. We were never going to give him that long even if we had the cash.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Glad GC are signing him for 4 years. We were never going to give him that long even if we had the cash.
And it's going home. Frankly, it's a better deal than he could have imagined possible. It's actually unbelievable, it's not like he's even a sure thing to be a consistently selected AFL player.

Reactions: 7 users
Feb 25, 2007
Its us, so no chance we get looked after. What did we get for Ellis who went up there on a 5 year deal? 3rd rounder?Wasnt fair compensation at all from memory.

We were set to get a 2nd rounder and then Damien Barrett made a big song and dance and it gained legs and next thing the AFL then gives us a 3rd. rounder
Totally ripped off as Ellis 5 yrs at 600K a year = 3 mill

Motlop got the cats a 2nd rounder lol

• Angry

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
We were set to get a 2nd rounder and then Damien Barrett made a big song and dance and it gained legs and next thing the AFL then gives us a 3rd. rounder
Totally ripped off as Ellis 5 yrs at 600K a year = 3 mill

Motlop got the cats a 2nd rounder lol
I think you mean 1st rounder for Ellis and we got a 2nd instead. Motlop got a 1st.

Reactions: 2 users