Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Feb 25, 2007
I think you mean 1st rounder for Ellis and we got a 2nd instead. Motlop got a 1st.

Correct. My bad, I was thinking of this year's draft (3rd round) pick 38 onwards and we got pick 39 for Ellis. This due to being premiers but we so got shafted on that compo pick, it should've been a first-rounder like the cats got for Motlop.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
It's actually unbelievable, it's not like he's even a sure thing to be a consistently selected AFL player.
It’s staggering.

I get it when successful clubs start loving the smell of their own farts and think they can turn everything into gold because of their ‘culture’ and ‘coaches’ and whatnot, but this is in another dimension.

I want to play poker with whom ever at GC made this deal.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Geelong got a first round draft pick for Motlop? FFS now I am convinced we were ripped off over Ellis.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It’s staggering.

I get it when successful clubs start loving the smell of their own farts and think they can turn everything into gold because of their ‘culture’ and ‘coaches’ and whatnot, but this is in another dimension.

I want to play poker with whom ever at GC made this deal.
Might end up being a steal yet. Only time will tell how Mabs & CJ turn out at their new clubs.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Geelong got a first round draft pick for Motlop? FFS now I am convinced we were ripped off over Ellis.

DS
Gold Coast got an end of 1st round pick (19), for a 33 year old Gary Ablett FFS.

Maybe Blamey shot himself and thus Richmond in the foot when he criticized decision at the time and Ellis was the AFL payback ;) :mad:

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has questioned the AFL's free agency compensation method which paved the way for Gary Ablett's trade to Geelong.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Gold Coast got an end of 1st round pick (19), for a 33 year old Gary Ablett FFS.

Maybe Blamey shot himself and thus Richmond in the foot when he criticized decision at the time and Ellis was the AFL payback ;) :mad:

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has questioned the AFL's free agency compensation method which paved the way for Gary Ablett's trade to Geelong.

Yeah but he was going to Geelong, so maybe the AFL figured they would get 5 more years out of him!

But seriously, a first round pick for a 33yo, a joke really.

DS

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Rory Atkins 4 years @$400k got a end of 2nd round pick
thinking same pick #37/#38
It's Richmond we're talking about this time. We'll be lucky to scrape in with an end of third round pick from Gilligan's mate SHocking. Parting gift before he takes over at Geelold.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
4 years for Chol....lol. No wonder GC are a basket case. They lose their best players for SFA and then go and sign up a guy for 4 years who's played 35 games in 5 years and averaged 8 disposals and 8 hitouts a game.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I wish Mabs well. Glad to see his perseverance has led to a life-changing contract. He may well be a good fit for GC but he has some serious flaws in his game. He needs to watch how good marking forwards maneuvre their bodies in a pack situation before the marking contest. Given that, he has been around a few great forwards (and defenders) at training for years and he has not developed this facet of his game,
I'm not confident that improvement is there. I think we ran out of patience because at 24 this should be a strength for a tall forward.
He will still have his days where he starts a game on fire, other days when he uses his mobility and straight kicking to bag three or four goals. He may well still have some days when it looks like he is cloud gazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

tempany14

Tiger Rookie
Feb 25, 2008
After 2017 i vowed never to question the club again and back them in on every decision. so if chol goes and we get any draft pickfpr him im confident we will get a more than adequate replacement . Sustained finals since 2013, 3 premierships, financial security, an apparently united board and a team still with a profile to contend it doesnt get better than this

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
AFL to take no action against Chols agent Ralph Carr, what a strange rule.

FE9163E1-2084-4FB2-B303-A1C86CE7734A.jpeg

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I don’t think we’ll regret Mabs no longer being on our list, but what’s the betting he has one of his good games against us?