Government Departments wasting our money | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Government Departments wasting our money

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
NSW teachers will be given laptops under $44 million plan

February 01, 2009 02:03pm
FIRST it was students, now NSW's public high school teachers will receive their own wireless laptop computer as part of the State Government's plan to create "the clever state".

The $44 million roll-out to 25,000 teachers is funded by both the State and Federal Government and will begin this year and be completed by 2012.

The announcement comes on top of a mini laptop program for NSW's 197,000 senior high school students launched last year.

"This is about helping teachers plan and deliver lessons on the net," Premier Nathan Rees said.

"This means students and teachers will be using the same laptop, giving teachers the tools to electronically plan and deliver lessons and work with the students in the classroom using the same technology.

"I said some months ago that we were about setting up NSW as the clever state and this is the first port of call, making sure that our schools and our teachers have the capacity to deliver lessons in a manner that is absolutely at the vanguard of education in Australia and anywhere in the world."

The computers are being promoted as a useful teaching aid and, as with students, teachers will not be able to access social networking sites Myspace or Facebook – both sites banned by the education department server.

Teachers will use the laptops to compare student results from around the state and tailor lessons according to students' progress.

The $44 million spend will include $28 million of federal money to educate the teachers on how to use the technology.

Education Minister Verity Firth played down speculation the take-home laptops would increase an already heavy workload for the state's public high school teachers.

"I don't believe it's going to add any more or any less of what is expected from our teachers already," Ms Firth said.
link http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24992240-5005961,00.html

These idiots can't find money for the hospital system. Slashed funding for nursing training, women given birth in hospital toilets, stories of staff having to buy food (out of their own pocket) to feed patients, no supplies due to the fact bills are months behind .

Whats wrong with a bloody black(or white)board. If they want a computer (reckon they'd just about all have one anyway) they can buy their own and claim it as a tax deduction!
Just like I have to provide my own tools to earn a crust.
I've just about had enough of these clowns. :veryupset