Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
This is spot on. 73/74 was before my lifetime. I want a B2B. But also 3 premierships in 4 years. Could have easily been 4 straight. That is the stuff of all time dynasties.

Salty Scott said earlier in the year that we aren't as good as the Lions teams, the Hawk teams (and even the Cats team Lol). Time to set him straight on that.

I was at the G for both the premierships in 1973 and 1974 and it was a glorious thing, but as a teenager then I now realise that I didn't fully appreciate B2B as much as I will this year when after almost 50 years the Tigers do it again.
The current team IS a great Richmond team and B2B will cement it as one of the all-time great sides in AFL history.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
This is the premiership I really want and that adds to my anxiety levels... 2017 was a dream, 2019 was redemption for 2018 and now I just want to live a Back to Back win and more importantly see this team get the acknowledgement that they are one of the best teams in history.
We may get the b2b, Mr T, but plenty won’t give the team the acknowledgement they deserve. They’ll find a way to justify not doing it.

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
This is the premiership I really want and that adds to my anxiety levels... 2017 was a dream, 2019 was redemption for 2018 and now I just want to live a Back to Back win and more importantly see this team get the acknowledgement that they are one of the best teams in history.
Sorry to breake your heart even if we do win there will be some exuse with a * and you can say we we're in a hub, not at home, had injurys whatever.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As an aside we will be wearing our traditional jumper and that it is our "home game" as the higher ranked team I assume

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry to breake your heart even if we do win there will be some exuse with a * and you can say we we're in a hub, not at home, had injurys whatever.
You can Asterisk anything this year, my mental state has one too - the only way my heart will be broken if we lose to those smug geriatrics and that 'serious looking on the weekend' Dangerflop.

Reactions: 2 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
You can Asterisk anything this year, my mental state has one too - the only way my heart will be broken if we lose to those smug geriatrics and that 'serious looking on the weekend' Dangerflop.
I am already sick and over hearing how much Geelol "deserve" to win the GF!

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This is spot on. 73/74 was before my lifetime. I want a B2B. But also 3 premierships in 4 years. Could have easily been 4 straight. That is the stuff of all time dynasties.

Salty Scott said earlier in the year that we aren't as good as the Lions teams, the Hawk teams (and even the Cats team Lol). Time to set him straight on that.

He would know about the great Geelong team from the late 2000s, after all, he barely needed to coach them to get the 2011 flag.

This week is a Grand Final, it won't be easy. Geelong are very good and they will be hungry after losing so many Preliminary Finals over the years. They may have had 2 easy games but they made them easy by outplaying the opposition. There will be no illusions in the Richmond camp that this will be easy and that Geelong are not a worthy Grand Final team.

But we faced a fired up GWS last year and I'm sure that game felt harder than the scoreboard indicated. We can win this is we play well, if we don't Geelong are every chance.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
What’d be funny was if the rule of the week was umpires cracking down on players ducking into tackles to get a “too high” free kick. Selwood, Danger, Miers etc would be dumbfounded.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yeah I am strangely more confident against Geelong than Brisbane for some reason.

I reckon it maybe a more physical game than the lions but like 2019 prelim I think we will get there in the end. I think the Lions had the capacity to move the ball over the back more and run with that youthful energy and if they got on a run could have been hard to stop.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The media will portray this GF as good vs evil. Federer vs Djokovic. Hulk Hogan vs Jake the Snake. Inspector Gadget vs Dr Claw.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Had the pleasure of attending the 67 grand final, in which we also faced Geelong. Hard game, great players on both sides including Barrot, Bartlett, Bourke, Dean, Hart and Swift. Geelong did well to get close. Expecting no less this time. Tigers by 10.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
After 2 Grand Final wins where it was all over by 3/4 time, I'm not sure I would cope with a close tight finish. But we're probably due one.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I am already sick and over hearing how much Geelol "deserve" to win the GF!
The fact that a team "deserves" one is of course irrelevant and will change nothing.

This is 1974 over again which I remember being at as a young fella. We were hated and absolutely noone wanted us to win except for Tiger fans and of course it made no difference at all. We were booed, North supporters climbed out of the woodwork, the MCC members and large portions of the crowd were against us, the media wanted the fairy tale and we smashed them.

Embrace the hate, it's a beautiful thing

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
After 2 Grand Final wins where it was all over by 3/4 time, I'm not sure I would cope with a close tight finish. But we're probably due one.

Yeah I am more just happy we made it and can now really enjoy it.

I doubt I will be as nervous as the prelim. For me, any angst at the moment is around the fact there are two teams I really dislike and don’t want to have beat us to the flag - the pies and cats. So really, I will be more pissed off with losing to the cats than losing generally if that makes sense.

The cats behave as they are entitled, like the pies and I just don’t like the way they celebrate, big Cox, strutting Hawkins, Dangers smirk ....... I could go on.

Also, they the media go on that it’s the last chance for Geelongs golden boys to win it as a reason to support them but how do we know it’s not the last chance for the tigers as well - who knows what will happen next year.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The fact that a team "deserves" one is of course irrelevant and will change nothing.

This is 1974 over again which I remember being at as a young fella. We were hated and absolutely noone wanted us to win except for Tiger fans and of course it made no difference at all. We were booed, North supporters climbed out of the woodwork, the MCC members and large portions of the crowd were against us, the media wanted the fairy tale and we smashed them.

Embrace the hate, it's a beautiful thing

Absolutely.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Had the pleasure of attending the 67 grand final, in which we also faced Geelong. Hard game, great players on both sides including Barrot, Bartlett, Bourke, Dean, Hart and Swift. Geelong did well to get close. Expecting no less this time. Tigers by 10.
Same here, momentai. Some amazing highlights that day. Freddy Swift's mark, Royce's mark & KB's goal near the end. Great day
:D

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm very confident going into this week. We won't have it our own way, but I just think we know how to get it done when it matters. Last Friday night was a pretty good example of that. We stuck to our system in that last quarter and Port went away from their system in a deperate attempt to get that goal.

Geelong have a lot of big name players that haven't always got it done when it matters. And that will be playing on their minds all week.

It depends on how the game unfolds. Friday night was close and I was as nervous as hell, but I thought we had it on our terms and I knew we would hold on. If its close this week and I don't think we have control of the situation, thats when i'll lose my sh!t.