Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It was a blessing in disguise that griffens was injured early 2017 and elton was a dud as it forced us to go small and chaos in the fwd line

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Watching it now. 10 mins in forgot how evasive and strong in the contest Cotch was. DH has already realised Grigg is a better ruck option than Elton. Good game!
One of my all time favourite games.
Its the style we played which i love.
We were hunting the ball.
Ive never seen a Richmond team ever play like that.
Not only the style has made as a GREAT football side but how enjoyable its to watch.
We are never out of games.
Our loses over the last 4 years bar 4 or 5 couldve been wins.
Hardwick's record needs to be highlighted too.
11 years 7 Finals 3 flags.
Thats unbelievable.
He has flown past Shithouse, Pagan, Blight, Thompson and Walls.
He Sits comfortably alongside Jeans, Matthews, Clarkson & The Gesh.

Reactions: 7 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Watch the game's before, its nothing like the way we played against WC.
It was the game that turned us into the force we are today
I have the season pack gathering dust. Haven’t had the heart to watch all the close losses again but sounds like a good homework item!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hardwick's record needs to be highlighted too.
11 years 7 Finals 3 flags.
Thats unbelievable.
He has flown past Shithouse, Pagan, Blight, Thompson and Walls.
He Sits comfortably alongside Jeans, Matthews, Clarkson & The Gesh.
just to be clear that's 7 finals series for Dimma, 15 finals with a 10-5 win loss

One more flag for him and he will equal our greatest ever Coach in T-shirt Tommy in flags. I never thought I would see a coach equal Tommy's record at the Tigers but maybe I will .
How many coaches between 1981 and 2010? Bourke, Sproule, Jewell (again), Bartlett, Jeans, Northey, Walls, Geischen, Frawley, Wallace ? Throw in Jade Rawlings for 10 weeks or so. Have I missed anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Novak Dangerfield hit the track today. He reckons he has fully recovered from the blister that kept him quite in the Grand final.

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Are Geelong flogs still crying that Judas Ablett retired?
Just tell them they have Shaun Higgins now. From shoulder injuries to hamstrings.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I seem to recall Leppitsch having a fair bit to do with the design of the small forward line once the cupboard was bare with talls
Leppa had been consistently pushing hard for next best player in our forward line, not next best tall.
Hardwick resisted, persisting with Vickerdud in 2016, then Griffens in 2017, and then the last tall standing - Elton.
Only when it was bleedingly obvious to even Jack Hill the blind miner, and subsequently Hardwick, that Todd Elton was not AFL standard, did he finally roll over and let Leppa have his way, and the small fleet of pressure forwards was unleashed around Jack.
The rest is history.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Cool, been a while since we've had a genuine "Dimma is a dud" post. Normally it's Blake who was the Saviour of the RFC. Nice twist going with Leppa

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Dimma has clearly grown in the job
from the early days of coaching from the boundary when we had a young basket case side
to then losing close games and that infamous one against GC in Cairns and letting Harmichael kick a goal :-(
in 2014 beating the top placed Sydney in Sydney to make the top 8 and then the next week to fold so horribly against Port

I get the sense that while Dimma is head coach and he has put a lot of ideas in place
he has also helped create an environment that has let assistant coaches flourish , certainly since 2016
so many of us thought Blake might have been the messiah for a while

to me its looking like he might have been an important contributor , but all the other assistants have also played a , dare I say it , "role"

it might be a mute point who came up with the game plan because it has evolved so much and everybodies contributions have been critical
its been a group effort to win 3 flag and be clear minor premiers in the other year

Dimma has overseen changes in playing personnel , coaching staff and opposition tactics
so some of the A+ rating has to rub off on him

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Cool, been a while since we've had a genuine "Dimma is a dud" post. Normally it's Blake who was the Saviour of the RFC. Nice twist going with Leppa
You've leapt (Leppa'd?) a little quickly on that one Baloo.
Obviously Dimma is not a dud.
But this take is on the public record, from non other that Hardwick himself, publicly stating what I have summarised above.
In looking back at 2017, Hardwick acknowledged his long-standing preference for playing two tall forwards.
He acknowledged that Leppa had been chewing his ear off for some time to play the next best player, rather than the next best tall forward.
And he graciously acknowledged this strategy as being transformational for Richmond and a key ingredient in our 2017 premiership success.
Go back to the articles of the time and then tell me if I'm wrong.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Alas poor LeppaCella - I knew him, Heretier Horatio.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Princess Victoria just never had the heart.

Dan Jackson, 1st & 2nd in the Jack Dyer, on the other hand, was Phar Lap like in the heart department.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
If you read the Afl web site and take any notice of what is written you could be excused for thinking that the Pussies are odds on to win the premiership this year.

All Scott can talk about is the forward line and how that is going to function.

Let's hope it all unravels for him.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd like to see all the people who ever questioned his heart and courage come into the game as a beanpole draftee and head straight into the centre bounce in their first couple of seasons against the monsters in the opposition sides. No heart lacking in a kid who does that.
I never said Princess was lucking in courage. Having your old man as a boxing coach you'd expect Princess not to be too scared of anyone (despite needing to call on Jake King at times). But his heart wasn't in the game.

If Princess had a quarter of Dan Jackson's ticker he would have been something special.