Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I know we all have players (mine's Dan Jackson) that just never sit well with us, but I've got to call you on this 17.

For a start 125 games puts him in the top 15% of all players for games played. 104th for Richmond.

125 goals makes him 560th of all time for goals. 2 x 30 plus goal seasons, 3 x 20+ goal seasons.

Second in the goal kicking twice, finished 5th in a Best and Fairest.

He might not have achieved all he could have but he was no dud.

I've had this argument with others on here, some who still swear blind that McBean was a better player than Vickery despite only playing 5 games and kicking 1 goal in his AFL career IIRC.

Players like Vickery are crucified because potentially they could be great, and they never achieve that for whatever reason. Their perceived attitude also plays a part I think.

Reactions: 1 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I'd like to see all the people who ever questioned his heart and courage come into the game as a beanpole draftee and head straight into the centre bounce in their first couple of seasons against the monsters in the opposition sides. No heart lacking in a kid who does that.
BR, your doing a scomo, and diverting from his greatest weakness, which just happens to be nothing upstairs. :cool:

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
BR, your doing a scomo, and diverting from his greatest weakness, which just happens to be nothing upstairs.
I was at the VFL prelim against the Hawks in 2017 and we were flogging them. Everyone had had a few cans and there were some mouthy hawks supporters rolling out the 'how crap are Richmond' gags' and how long since we won a premiership. It was just on the verge of getting ugly and one of the Tiger supporters shouted out "Yeah, but you took Vickery of us". Everyone cracked up and the situation was diffused. There was no come back to that sledge.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I don't buy that at all. It's the same thing that comes at Chol now. Players move in a certain way or have a certain body language and people go straight to lacking effort.

I've seen plenty of player who struggle with total discipline and commitment off the field but I've seen very few that didn't have a crack once the ball was bounced. I think effort is a very misjudged characteristic in footballers.

Yeah, but then you don't rate a Jack Dyer Winner and Runner Up in Dan Jackson. Happy to disagree with you on this.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I don't dispute his effort though. My issue with Jackson was his use of the ball. The one thing I will wipe a player on is not being able to use the ball and he was atrocious in that regard. His kicking efficiency stats were hugely inflated by the CD loophole that credits you if you get it on the ground 40 metres away. At a certain point your ball use can be so bad that it doesn't matter what else you do well, it is still destructive for the side.

I also felt he got a massive good bloke discount on the rating of his performance. I'd have him with Andrew Kellaway as the only Jack Dyer medallists of the past 20 years who wouldn't play in our current side. If we had a 21 year-old Vickery kicking 36 goals on the current list we would be full of excitement.

That's where Dan was misunderstood. Much like Shane Edwards in the early years. Both those players had super high footy IQ and EQ. They were putting the ball where players should have been if they played to the game plan. Their team mates let them down. Dan quit, his body fairly beaten up. Sheds kept going and once the team around him caught up with his brilliance, the world stood up and noticed Sheds. Edwards was always brilliant, he was just being let down by his team mates. Jacko the same.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's where Dan was misunderstood. Much like Shane Edwards in the early years. Both those players had super high footy IQ and EQ. They were putting the ball where players should have been if they played to the game plan. Their team mates let them down. Dan quit, his body fairly beaten up. Sheds kept going and once the team around him caught up with his brilliance, the world stood up and noticed Sheds. Edwards was always brilliant, he was just being let down by his team mates. Jacko the same.
Brilliant and Dan Jackson - now there’s a first. Let down by his teammates and high footy IQ? Even his most ardent supporters never talked in that language. Players do get better the longer they are retired though.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I can't see that at all I'm afraid. Edwards was always quicker than the game but in Jackson's case all I remember is him hacking the ball all over the place. Unless he expected his team mates to read scrubbers I just don't see it.

I am the first to admit I was hyper critical of him though.

A First and a Runner Up in the Jack Dyer Medal would point to Dan being closer to my version of him than yours.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Edwards is one of the smartest, quick thinking players of his generation. Thought to execution in a flash.

Jackson was the polar opposite, slow by mind, slow to execute and bad decisions. But as brave as they come.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Edwards is one of the smartest, quick thinking players of his generation. Thought to execution in a flash.

Jackson was the polar opposite, slow by mind, slow to execute and bad decisions. But as brave as they come.
I knew the old rusted on Jackson Haters wouldn't be able to resist jumping in.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Jacko improved in his later years, I think he understood his own limitations better but his disposal was always shccking. Was a good player though, always put in and became a leader in his last years.

I'm on TBRs side re Vickery, a misunderstood player. He could have been better than he was, not really a big game player. Like many he suffered through the bad times. We did get Shai for him after the Hawthorn trade, so you'd definitely call that a win for us.

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Dunno about that Razor, unless you mean in a football sense of course. Didn't he get a VCE score of 90 odd and study law?
I hear you, I dont know the man, so I assume he was not lacking intellectually, yes I was talking about his nouse on the field.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Interesting the amount of Geelong supporters I’ve spoken to who have said something along the lines of ,

Even though we were in front , never felt comfortable,

Feared Richmond would come at us hard at some stage and we might struggle to cope when it happens

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Interesting the amount of Geelong supporters I’ve spoken to who have said something along the lines of ,

Even though we were in front , never felt comfortable,

Feared Richmond would come at us hard at some stage and we might struggle to cope when it happens
yes, I spoke with a Geelong supporter friend about it for the first time around Christmas, he hadn't been able to mention it before then !! He said that the reality for him was that he knew they were gone half way through the 3rd quarter.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
yes, I spoke with a Geelong supporter friend about it for the first time around Christmas, he hadn't been able to mention it before then !! He said that the reality for him was that he knew they were gone half way through the 3rd quarter.

And to think I was quietly confident we would win after the Dusty 2nd quarter goal - I always knew the cats supporters were a bit slow off the mark.

And their team has just got that little bit slower this year as well - might have to watch the progress of those three first rounders they gave up for Cameron - might be worth a thread of its own if they start to show something.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Please help
Geelong are still looking for number 32, he was last seen just before half time in last year's Grand Final.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Scott Morrison is awarding the biggest under achiever of 2020.
Dangerfield is hot favourite

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Scott Morrison is awarding the biggest under achiever of 2020.
Dangerfield is hot favourite
Ha! Good Geelong friend said to me over New Year “ I think Dangerfield is a little overrated “
I just smiled.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Ha! Good Geelong friend said to me over New Year “ I think Dangerfield is a little overrated “
I just smiled.
That's very kind, seven.

My instinct would have been to splutter and shout "do ya think?"!!!!

• Haha