Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im not game to write how confident I am in this game.

but I used the 2014 final series as my historical pointer

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Believing is far better and more enjoyable than being worried or scared of losing
B2B here we come

Reactions: 3 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Can those of you who know more about footy then me explain why the Lions seemed so much poorer against the Cats than when they played us?

Were the Lions made to look bad because the Cats players and coaching were far better? Or did half the Lions just not turn up?

Did the Cats do something against the Lions that we weren't capable of? (Clearly Hawkins can't be allowed to dominate forward stoppages as easily as he did last night.)

And how does your analysis of the above translate into the way you see the GF unfolding?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Got tickets eZyT?

got to have a nervous breakdown at the keyboard on Tuesday,

but I anticipate representing our Melbourne Brothers and Sisters at The Gabba

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Can those of you who know more about footy then me explain why the Lions seemed so much poorer against the Cats than when they played us?

Were the Lions made to look bad because the Cats players and coaching were far better? Or did half the Lions just not turn up?

Did the Cats do something against the Lions that we weren't capable of? (Clearly Hawkins can't be allowed to dominate forward stoppages as easily as he did last night.)

And how does your analysis of the above translate into the way you see the GF unfolding?

my take.

1. Lions played their GF in the QF.
2. Chaos, executed from a sides DNA, beats control 95 times out of 100. But a contrived, unperfected chaos succumbs.
3. It is very difficult to win a preliminary final with Eric Hipwood at CHF, but with Cam Ellis Yeolman in the guts, the probability is reduced to near zero.

in summary. cats play a very well drilled ball control game that beats other 2nd tier sides. Geelong are the 3rd best side in the competition this year, Brisbane the 4th best. Brisbane, however, played like the 8th best. They lacked intensity, composure, leadership and, most importantly, sufficient quality players

I cant extrapolate this analysis to the GF without fear or favour, due to me being terrified of my own confidence.

Reactions: 9 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Could it be a game for the ages.
Sometimes you sense that the script is already written.
Abletts last game, Dangerfield never won one.
Can we edit the ending, I think so.....just...

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
2017 I spent the week leading up to the granny in barely contained excitement.

2019 was an odd feeling of calm and serenity.

I don't know why, but I have this cold dread this year. I don't understand it and don't like it.

Reactions: 4 users

tempany14

Tiger Rookie
Feb 25, 2008

I don't know why, but I have this cold dread this year. I don't understand it and don't like it.
I know what you mean, but its because the loss of something we have come to expect is harder to take. However if you think about it the confidence of 2019 was built on a great PF. Our build up is better than geelong they have had 2 soft and whilst the 2 that we dont dare to mention will be formidable our quality over the 22 will see us triumph. Talk about deserving fairy tales our captain deserves to have 3 premierships as a Richmond captain lets focus on that

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
For some reason, maybe due to how we played them last time, I just think our game style throws them out. It’s like they don’t know to counter it. They also haven’t had to handle pressure in their last 2 wins, and we’ll pressure them up the wazoo.

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I look the cats last 2 games both finals what is the elements missing both teams didn't do well or apply ?.It's pressure and tackling intensity lions stood there lol that's the cats biggest weakness when the heat is on they make mistakes and fold.Our last game in rd 17 the media we're bragging about there backline and we made them look ordinary.There backline doesn't cope with quick smalls like Bolton etc.

The last quarter in that rd 17 game they come at us was it because they opened up or our pressure when down ?.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Geelong barracking brother in law reckons they will drop Kolodjashnij and bring in ratugolea - to stretch our backline.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Same.

• Sad

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Why the *smile* is Ablett winning another Grand Final being touted as something that is just and right?

Same Ablett that treated GCS as a cash cow in his last year. Signing a large multi year frontended contract and then asking to be traded after 1 year. Refusing to play interstate games with them.

Good player, sure. Very good. But hardly deserving of Sainthood.

Reactions: 12 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
got to have a nervous breakdown at the keyboard on Tuesday,

but I anticipate representing our Melbourne Brothers and Sisters at The Gabba

Got em, nose bleed, not complaining at all.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Going to be a strange week.

I've loved taking the kids to the parade and the footy festival in both 2017 and 2019 which is a great build up and really builds that excitement up. Even just being in the grounds of the G with so many other footy fans would just bring up how big this week is and the importance of the game. Without that, it will feel a lot more like any old game but we obviously know there is more at stake but there will be very little build up to the GF this year. Will definitely feel different.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Has Brisbane now officially lost interest in the Grand Final? It could really fizzle out if they decide to sook it up now that it is no longer “theirs.”