Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It feels like a version of a wet season has arrived up here this arvo.

So after contemplating the south sky from my hammock, i checked the BOM.

Afternoon thunderstorms forecast for brisbane fri sat sun.

Predicting these tropical arvo storms is notoriously fickle. They can not develop, or if they do they can be very local.

You can be driving along in a ute and the dog in the back is soaked to the skin, but you havnt turned your windscreen wipers on.

The upshot is, theres a decent chance, as there was always going to be with a subtropical evening grand final, of a torrent.

Reactions: 1 users

DeathNinthandTaxes

Richmond 'till we die
Nov 4, 2007
It feels like a version of a wet season has arrived up here this arvo.

So after contemplating the south sky from my hammock, i checked the BOM.

Afternoon thunderstorms forecast for brisbane fri sat sun.

Predicting these tropical arvo storms is notoriously fickle. They can not develop, or if they do they can be very local.

You can be driving along in a ute and the dog in the back is soaked to the skin, but you havnt turned your windscreen wipers on.

The upshot is, theres a decent chance, as there was always going to be with a subtropical evening grand final, of a torrent.
Bring on the torrent!

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
So are they having a parade?
(Guess it's been cancelled now that the motorbike drove off the cliff! :)))
And if they are we will need to sleep at a home away from home, away from home, away from home?
GC is approx 80 klms from Gabba.
Can't see them travelling from GC to Gabba back to GC on Friday night then back again next morning.
Suppose it's a night match so the later start helps.
Do we know what the itinerary is?

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
This has got nothing to do with politics, so please don’t shoot me down. But he is a right royal C**T
Please keep these sort of comments to yourself. I don’t want to read this rubbish.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
So are they having a parade?
(Guess it's been cancelled now that the motorbike drove off the cliff! :)))
And if they are we will need to sleep at a home away from home, away from home, away from home?
GC is approx 80 klms from Gabba.
Can't see them travelling from GC to Gabba back to GC on Friday night then back again next morning.
Suppose it's a night match so the later start helps.
Do we know what the itinerary is?
I don’t think they’re doing a parade. Dimma joked on Friday night that we’d do a motorcade around our hub.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
I just watched the whole Bris vs Geelong Prelim. Brissie pressure down compared to when they played us. Ablett left to do as he pleased. Rich playing way too far off Ablett at the centre bounces. I still think that if we keep chasing and tackling they will turn over the rushed kicks.

OldTiger1967

Tiger Rookie
Jun 3, 2017
A concern.....

Comparing the 2 Prelims - 1 was brutal body on body get hard ball stuff in the wet - the other was low pressure outside ball running almost bruise free.

If we take a line through last years Prelims - GWS had the slog in the wet and were spent come the GF. Whereas we were on the rise from a 2nd half blitz in the Prelim and had run in our legs for the GF.

This year- did we spend all our energy against Port in the wet and will Geelong be full of run from a 2nd half blitz of Brisbane?

Flamin' hope not.

Conversely hope our hard run has us primed to go the distance in a GF against a final experienced team who have had a soft run the last two games.......

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
A concern.....

Comparing the 2 Prelims - 1 was brutal body on body get hard ball stuff in the wet - the other was low pressure outside ball running almost bruise free.

If we take a line through last years Prelims - GWS had the slog in the wet and were spent come the GF. Whereas we were on the rise from a 2nd half blitz in the Prelim and had run in our legs for the GF.

This year- did we spend all our energy against Port in the wet and will Geelong be full of run from a 2nd half blitz of Brisbane?

Flamin' hope not.

Conversely hope our hard run has us primed to go the distance in a GF against a final experienced team who have had a soft run the last two games.......
That game against Geelong last year wasn’t easy, though. Graham couldn’t even take his spot in the GF, and Broad had to pass a concussion test. GWS had themselves to blame. Davis didn’t prove his fitness until 90 minutes before the game, and even then he wasn’t right. Whitfield shouldn’t have played and Greene didn’t even play in the prelim, so what was his excuse? We were too *smile* good is what happened, and I suspect next week may be the same story.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I reckon our Prelim has set us up well. It was tough, but we gained control. We changed our tactics at half time and it worked a treat. Scoreboard says it was close but scoring shots in the 2nd half says we should have won by more.

Cats have had two easy wins where they weren't tested, weren't required to change or try different thing's to counter the opposition.

I would have preferred the Cats have a tough Prelim to tire out the Zimmermanframers, but happy enough with our prep.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
That game against Geelong last year wasn’t easy, though. Graham couldn’t even take his spot in the GF, and Broad had to pass a concussion test. GWS had themselves to blame. Davis didn’t prove his fitness until 90 minutes before the game, and even then he wasn’t right. Whitfield shouldn’t have played and Greene didn’t even play in the prelim, so what was his excuse? We were too *smile* good is what happened, and I suspect next week may be the same story.
Yep, plus Mumford for cooked by grand final day, GWS had a couple of injuries and they had some luck getting to the last game. Also we had a extra week off which is why i didn't want Brisbane to win, they may of had to much run in the second half for us to contain, especially after playing port in the wet.

If there is ever a chance to go back 2 back, this is it.
Over confident, cocky Geelong are betting on a fairytale finish.
*smile* fairytales! That for little kids who sleep with the light on before they go to bed.
Pressure and aggression will steam roll these fakers.
Let the media talk to them up all week, hope they read ever article, drink the bath water and talk like they've got the game won before the first bounce.
This may go down as one of the best grand final wins this club has ever had!

Reactions: 3 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
A concern.....

Flamin' hope not.

We do get a day extra rest .

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A concern.....

Flamin' hope not.

I understand the concern but I thought we ran out the PF pretty well. Geelong may have had 2 games which were too easy and hopefully will not handle the pressure of our game so well.

I think we go in battle hardened, but there is always the possibility we go in battle weary.

If any team can make sure it is battle hardened it is this Richmond team.

Bring it on and Go Tiges.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Geelong would be the first team to win a Grand Final under the current system from fourth position.
Only Collingwood (2002) and Sydney (2006) have even made it from there.

Reactions: 1 user

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Last time we kicked 7.15 they kicked 4.7. Soldo went down before the half and Lynchy limped off in the third with a hammy. We got smashed in the stoppages 22- 14, Centre clearances 10-2. We still won by 26pts. Clean up the contested, win the centre clearances and keep the pressure on them , I think we can win this.

Reactions: 6 users

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Not me...confident as. We are in their heads and match up well. Better lead in games as well.
Geelong at their best are a very good side. Us at our best are one of the great sides of all time.
If we bring our best, we win.

I agree about getting in their head. Last time we beat them Scott had no choice but to publically say how good we were. He seemed to be searching for answers. Until now he has always been stubbornly set in the ‘they’re not that good’ mould. It was only last night he’s brought out his painfully transparent reverse psychology of ‘try to get to their level’ foolery. He’s never done this before, which means he’s stooping to mind games. Funnily enough, I reckon now was the time to stick to the ‘our form is as good as anyone’s’ line, because they‘ve smashed the last 2 teams of witches hats.
Regardless of the real message he gives behind closed doors, their players would have to feel a little bit of ‘why do we need to try and psych them out’ even in the backs of their minds. They’ll also have a fear of failure to choke on if they’re hanging onto this ‘Dangerfield deserves this because he wears oversized shorts’ myth.

Both port and us made them look second rate recently.

Reactions: 7 users