Grand Final 2021 - Dees v Dogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2021 - Dees v Dogs

Who do you want to win? Who do you think will win?

• Want Melbourne

• Want Bulldogs

• Think Melbourne

• Think Doggies

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
We were in Blairgowie at a Cafe at the start of 2020.
Petrecca was there with a few mates, the boys decked out in there Richmond R baseball caps.
And Petrecca looked at the boys and said 'good side'.
I said to him come over. He laughed
He thought why would I want to sit in a cafe with a lot of old blokes in Richmond caps.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Jackson took full advantage of the dogs mid rotation with about 10 to go in the third. I have not seen the stats but the dee's rucks dominated from here on.
Just got real big, real strong, won every clearance and got it in to the 15m mark in the blink of an eye.

yeah ive been trying to understand what happened here.

I think aside from the obvious Petracca and Oliver and Jackson are stars,

I think Dogs were right out of juice at Half-time and Bevo knew it.

Easton Wood had a busted wrist, I think Keef had redone his hammy, and the GPS's were screaming 'we're rooted' I reckon?

Cause BEVO has inexplicably gone the full Geelong ball control after half-time.

and it rattled The Dees completely for nearly 15 minutes.

Then Caleb Daniel fenced Gawn and used the last drop of Footscray Fuel to give him the stand over tough routine (coincidently, symbolically, ironically THE turning point),

Dogs tank was now completely dry.

No reserve tank.

and Dees mids went utterly apeshit.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yeh he’s as close to dusty as there is.

theres a lot of bitterness on this thread. 3 flags in 4 years and still can’t celebrate other teams great play and success? Dees play a great brand in the manner we did. Hope we can meet them at full strength next year.
Bitterness sums it up. I was thinking I might not be as committed to the RFC as I thought, as I only saw a team at the top of their powers who on the day, over the finals series played modern football to near perfection. MFC s victory does not diminish ours in my mind.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
For me rapt Dees won. Late dad's team.

Read today too Steven May played with a torn hamstring. Happened initially in the PF. More damage in 2nd Q. Great effort.

Did the sub come on? Pity if he didn't as game was done mid last Q.
No sub. Goodwin said Harmes was cramping. Docs said cant use sub for cramp.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
was just saying to snake, wouldn't a full strength Tigers V FS Dees GF in 2022 be something'?

Nank/Soldo V Gawn/Jackson

That is the match up of most concern . In that it's apples v oranges, east v west. One approach v another.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
TOT’s observation is a good one - insane TOG for both Oliver and Trac.

One game in 4 weeks undoubtedly helped, but it’s instructional.

What does it mean? Can you roll the dice and play Prestia, Lambert and Edwards in the middle all game?

And what are the ramifications elsewhere?

The return of role players all over the ground?

Goalsneaks? Ranging half-forwards? More talls?

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Darren Burgess BOG his influence created an avalanche against the Pussies and last night!

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Trac seems like a good fella. I can’t bring myself to hate him.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
if you look at the numbers, an amazing 1-2-3 punch in the guts for Dees

Tracs had 24 CP,

Olivers has laid 10 tackles.

Viney has had 12 clearances

and Im assuming Harmes has tagged Libba largely out of the game?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The way the Demons overran the Doggies, reminded me of how we beat them this year. Just blew them away in the 2nd half.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I havnt watched the replay, but guessed he must have been in the guts,

when Dees went at a goal per 10 seconds.

incredible.

can you indulge us with some insights from Burswood TMan?

how was the vibe? How were the Dees fans?
Had a great day eZyT.

Don't know what my seat was like, as I didn't make it there.

Went with my Bro and a mate, we weren't able to get seats together so we went early. The plan was we would sit together and watch the Rep game before too many got there, and then go to our seats to watch the main game.

We then came up with plan B, there's standing room there where you can sit you beer on a bar type thing, and that was us for the two games.
Standing all day drinking beers, just like the good old days. Ten metres to the bar, and 15 to the dunny.

Great Northern mid strength....... it doesn't taste too bad, you can drink it all day, it's a bit like having a root in a boat, it's ****ing near water.

I don't know how it came across on the TV, but it was a great atmosphere. The acoustics and lighting are sensational, they can change the lighting on the Matagarup bridge which goes over the Swan river, it looked very good all lit up in red and blue after the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Had a great day eZyT.

Don't know what my seat was like, as I didn't make it there.

Went with my Bro and a mate, we weren't able to get seats together so we went early. The plan was we would sit together and watch the Rep game before too many got there, and then go to our seats to watch main game.

We then came up with plan B, there's standing room there where you can sit you beer on a bar type thing, and that was us for the two games.
Standing all day drinking beers, just like the good old days. Ten metres to the bar, and 15 to the dunny.

Great Northern mid strength....... it doesn't taste too bad, you can drink it all day, it's a bit like having a root in a boat, it's ****ing near water.

I don't know how it came across on the TV, but it was a great atmosphere. The acoustics and lighting are sensational, they can change the lighting on the Matagarup bridge which goes over the Swan river, it looked very good all lit up in red and blue after the game.

sounds fantastic.

im gonna go to the next game macgowen lets us back in for there

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Darren Burgess BOG his influence created an avalanche against the Pussies and last night!

The fitness for the Dees this year has been huge, whether they can do the same thing without Burgess, only time will tell.

Below is a table of the GF players that had greater than 85% TOG% and what their average was across the season showing their fitness levels. Having these guys need lower rotations enabled them to rotate the rest much more to increase the level of fitness of the others in their team.

1632625522417.png

Its remarkable how few games their best players missed aswell.

Missed no games = Petracca, Gawn, Lever, Oliver, Brayshaw, Pickett, Spargo, Rivers
Missed 1 game = Langdon, Salem, Fritsch, Jackson
Missed 2 games = May, McDonald

So essentially those players above are all best 22. 14 players shown above, out of 350 games they missed 8 from those 14 players. Incredible durability they showed this year. How much would I love for the Tiges to have that sort of run with the injury gods.

If they get that sort of run again next year, expect a similar outcome, the real challenge for them will be if they lose a couple of those for a period of time. Remember we were tested straight out of the gate in 2019 with the loss of Sir Rancelot and went on to win the premiership. Could the Dees do that if they lost one of their best?

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It was a scary switch the Dees used mid 3rd quarter to turn the game but in all honesty the game should have been all over at the end of the first.

The Dees out ran, out worked, out muscled the dogs and the dogs looked out of it during the first, but they are too good a side to not give a fight which they did in the second. The Dees worked them over physically the whole game and that showed in the end.

I couldn’t tell watching on the tv but the doggies burst in the second must have taken to much out of them and when the Dees fired their second shot in the third it was a knockout punch - no one where I was saw it coming.

The Dees had an almost flawless season, the first since I can remember where the best team of the season was also the best team of the finals. They deserve the flag, but a lot can happen between now and next years finals so it will be interesting to see how they handle it, likewise interesting to see how we readjust and go again.

Also, I think we underestimate the Dees forward line as I think Brown was influential in how he competed and Fritch was on fire - agree McDonald less so and Pickett must have been well held as had little direct influence.

How would you feel being the first player to get a premiership medallion and not even play in the granny - a bit embarrassing I reckon and the sub set up needs to change - I don’t like it.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
So in recent times we’ve had a few long droughts broken.

Swannies 70 odd year drought broken with a couple of premierships. Footscray broke their 60 odd year drought in 2016. Geelong’s had stood since 1963 before their string of recent success. Our 37 year drought going back to 1980 broken. Now Melbourne’s 1964 drought also broken.

The only one left now of those really old pre-AFL droughts is St.Kilda’s stretching back to 1966. They came fingernail close twice. But don’t seem anywhere close at present.

Last edited:

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
if you look at the numbers, an amazing 1-2-3 punch in the guts for Dees

Tracs had 24 CP,

Olivers has laid 10 tackles.

Viney has had 12 clearances

and Im assuming Harmes has tagged Libba largely out of the game?

Melbourne generated those numbers back in January. They’re an outcome of tapping into people and culture. They built the story, connection, care, love, and depth of desire that meant they were always going to put in a Richmond-like performance in the 3rd quarter of that Grand Final. The second quarter was just a lapse similar to our lapses at times when a team scores a couple of quick goals. It was very Richmond.

Even when the Bulldogs were ahead, you could see from Melbourne’s body language they were fine. The Gawn/Daniel situation looked good for Melbourne. It’s hard to describe in detail, but I’m adamant you can see the behavioural signs before those numbers take place. Maybe the replay will make it clearer.

The numbers are good for describing the general dominance of the Melbourne team, but not worth looking at too closely IMO.