Grand Final 2021 - Dees v Dogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2021 - Dees v Dogs

Who do you want to win? Who do you think will win?

• Want Melbourne

• Want Bulldogs

• Think Melbourne

• Think Doggies

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
So, it’s just been announced that Melbourne will follow Richmond’s lead and amend their constitution to allow for the awarding of Life Membership to premiership players. Happy to continue to be the trendsetters ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
So, it’s just been announced that Melbourne will follow Richmond’s lead and amend their constitution to allow for the awarding of Life Membership to premiership players. Happy to continue to be the trendsetters ;)
I take it that the media will be just as critical of the Dees for this as they were for the Tigers when we introduced it?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I take it that the media will be just as critical of the Dees for this as they were for the Tigers when we introduced it?
I think Gaddy Lyon was one of the more vocal about it, too, although I may be getting him confused with one of the other media types, they’re all fairly interchangeable.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Funny listening to the Melbourne fans ringing up the radio. Don’t think I’ve ever head so many followers of a club not know a particular player’s name or an assistant coach, CEO etc.
Bandwagoners galore in that club. Probably 2nd to Scumwood.

Reactions: 1 user

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Not likely. When it was mentioned on the 7 news sports segment, it was roundly applauded. It was very magnanimous of Tim Watson though to acknowledge Richmond as the trendsetter.

Feb 25, 2007
Jon Pierik at The Age has just untapped the secret :rolleyes: behind the dees stunning GF victory! You know the Melbourne way lol or does he mean the RICHMOND WAY!

I am pretty sure that the blueprint for best ever all over the ground pressure team was set by Richmond which netted 3 flags in 4 years and thus other teams including the dees have modelled their game plan around. Jon Perik don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!

A premiership blueprint: The numbers behind the Demons’ rise​

What was the Melbourne way? Put simply, it was a game built on pressure across the ground, winning the contest no matter how difficult.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
all the talk is pumping up the Dees and trashing the Dogs and when you look at the final score , of course

but think back to the 12 min mark 3rd qtr, Bont goals and the Dogs were looking in control around 20 pts up

they score the next goal and the complexion of the game changes , and we know how they can come , a lucky bounce , a dodgy free

will that disappointment galvanise the Dogs or break them ?

I reckon Melbourne went up a gear and Footscray couldn't go with them, a bit like us and Geelong last year. That said, and I mentioned this earlier, the margin is deceptive, it was close until late in the 3rd quarter. Just that when Melbourne took off nothing was stopping them and they scored ridiculously fast, it was very impressive. Maybe a team with a better defence which hadn't played so many games and travelled so much could have used 3/4 time for a reset, but Footscray couldn't. Melbourne clear winners but should not have won by such a margin. Going on the whole game I reckon that was a 30-40 point win.

Part of the way the rules have changed the game is that teams that do get a run-on can score very quickly, I don't think this is good for the game, leads to blow outs and the game is out of reach for the losing team way too quickly.

Gawn's goal is an interesting one. Was it someone here who posted the video from a phone in the crowd? To be honest, from that angle behind the goals it looked to go over the post. Virtually impossible to tell by watching the TV, I figure the goal umpire was in the best possie. In any case, it clearly was close to the post and no way it went through the middle.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It was actually in the balance at three-quarter time.
Melbourne were four goals up but of the 21 goals kicked to that point, it was 17-4 in favour of the end the Bulldogs were kicking to in the last quarter.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It was actually in the balance at three-quarter time.
Melbourne were four goals up but of the 21 goals kicked to that point, it was 17-4 in favour of the end the Bulldogs were kicking to in the last quarter.
Another interesting thing about the GF, I reckon 90% of the game was played on the northern side of the ground.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
not sure. The last half an hour was played mainly behind the Melbourne goals.
Aint that the truth.
Apart from when the Dees weren't running amok straight down the ground after centre bounces, all the play was on the northern side of the ground.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Not sure why such surliness. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. There are so many parallels to us in 2017. Most teams look to the premiers for direction. The Dees have almost copied the lot. At this stage though they are just Richmond lite. Let’s hope they get a little ahead of themselves and satisfied with what they have done.

look at the previous drought breakers records in the post premiership years -
Cats - 2007 Win
2008 - lose GF
2009 - Win
2010 - 3rd
2011 - Win

Syd - 2005 Win
2006 - lose GF
2007 - 7th
2008 - 6th
2009 - 12th
2010 - 5th

Dogs - 2016 Win
2017 - 10th
2018 - 13th
2019 - 7th
2020 - 7th
2021 - 2nd

Tigers and Cats the only drought breakers to go on with it. Let’s hope the Dees imitate the Dogs.

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I wonder whether this was done in part to cement attachments to the club and keep the group together, knowing that some could earn more money elsewhere.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
................. Just that when Melbourne took off nothing was stopping them and they scored ridiculously fast, it was very impressive....................
Pertracca's goal from the boundary ...WOW and perfecting timing to do that in a GF , not much you can do to stop that one

The one where he walzted out of the middle , he bounced off a tackler and did a blind turn , the sweeper was heading to where he thought Petracca might burst thru
the first player had to stick the tackle

I was thinking how could we have stopped that ?
Cotchin or Graham are strong enough to stop him cold
Edwards Bolton Lambert either knock the ball out or drag him off his feet
Prestia is a bit between the two

and Dusty tends to loop round get crumbs and spread from the packs

with our injury interupted year we got opened up like that too often

I think we lacked a player with pace & strength going thru the midfield , which had been Cotch in previous years

RCD could be our hope for next year , he's had enough of a taste of first grade , there are times when he doesn't look out of place , and with another 6 months
his body might be finally at that level of maturity to take on the role and he doesn't have to do it all , just play a role
I did notice him really working into the game in a couple of last qtrs , and thought ahh you'll make it , but when and how good we have to wait n see

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Steven Mays game should be recognised too.

Keeps Naughton to a goal, with a torn hammy.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Run, spread, and speed is vital. It's interesting that Melbourne overlooked experienced players like Jones, Jetta and Melksham and instead played fast kids in Sparrow, Pickett, Spargo, Bowey. We need to find some zip especially in the midfield and forward line.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Run, spread, and speed is vital. It's interesting that Melbourne overlooked experienced players like Jones, Jetta and Melksham and instead played fast kids in Sparrow, Pickett, Spargo, Bowey. We need to find some zip especially in the midfield and forward line.

yep,

youth isnt wasted on the young,

where footy is concerned.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Funny listening to the Melbourne fans ringing up the radio. Don’t think I’ve ever head so many followers of a club not know a particular player’s name or an assistant coach, CEO etc.

"Well played number 14"