Grand Final 2022 - Cygnets vs the Pussies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2022 - Cygnets vs the Pussies

Who wins the 2022 Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Changes made assisted the longevity of players in the AFL. Poach & stack a side with them the result can end up in a Flag. The cards fell the right way for the Catters in the finals when lucky to beat Pies, weeks rest after Lions failed to show up. Salty stuck with his plan but after this one will they be a force from now on.
One hit wonders just like Melbourne. Remember all the hype about them going back to back after winning it last year.? Couldn’t even win a final this year.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'd say they do but he is just too good at it. If they premeditate a tackle he will tap the ball and take the free so they have to delay and he is so quick hand to foot the ball is gone.

The other thing is he is so strong in the contest that he just rag dolls powerful ruckman. I remember him doing it to Nankervis and thinking he must have caught him off balance and then he did it again. He must be enormously strong through his core.
Yeh, you have to accept he is very good at it but geez the swans were asleep to it. Hickey didn't position himself very well both times (perhjaps Hawkins simply outsmarted him) and got caught watching Hawkins and not the ball.

Not sure Hawkins has the tap in mind when he presents at boiundary throw ins. Think having a player sweating on the tackle is the obvious one.

The ruckman should be takling front position, they setup to move forward, they need to make him push them in the back not the side.

As much as I hate to admit it he does it well.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
He's a great player. If I were a true contrarian I might raise the Hawkins vs Riewoldt comparison which would be an interesting discussion but I'm not that stupid. ;)

Both smart players, if you look at their careers, they are basically mirror images:

1664245489849.png

Both 3 premierships. Both have now become second fiddle to other forwards (Lynch and Cameron).

The only difference is Jack 3 Colemans v Tom 1 and Tom 5 AAs and Jack 3 (The AAs I have an issue with FWIW....Tom seen over favorably by the committee)

We love Jack but Hawkins has had an equally good career.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He's a great player. If I were a true contrarian I might raise the Hawkins vs Riewoldt comparison which would be an interesting discussion but I'm not that stupid. ;)
It would be a great debate. I think Jack has operated for more of his career in poorer sides?

I've actually softened a bit on the cats (other than Stweart the *smile*) they have been a great club to stay relevant for so many years. And Selwood is clearly a very good man and footballer, just an infuriating one. Could never question his courage and he's simply played to the rules and taken advantage of his size/strength.

Scott will never win me over, last night he almost took a pot shot at the 09/11/13 sides by saying they did it on the back of high draft picks. Andf he called himself a contrarian by going against that model.

Ultimately their best and most important players have been and are:

Hawkins - FS (was going No.1?)
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - AFL best player at time? poached
Cameron - AFL top 5 player at time poached

If they don't have them they don't win the flag. Yes they have found some gems, such as Stewart a great local find and Bllivacs and Close great rookie draft finds.

But ultimately flags are won by a mix of A grade talent (at least 5-6) and great role players. And luck on the way through with injuries and the draw. Scott hasn't reinvented the wheel.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
It would be a great debate. I think Jack has operated for more of his career in poorer sides?

I'd have Riewoldt well ahead first half of their careers and Hawkins ahead second half and gaining more every year. Line ball.

Cotchin v Selwood is another interesting one.

That may well be where a lot of the anti-Geelong feeling comes from, they are more like us than not.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
L
Both smart players, if you look at their careers, they are basically mirror images:

View attachment 16916

Both 3 premierships. Both have now become second fiddle to other forwards (Lynch and Cameron).

The only difference is Jack 3 Colemans v Tom 1 and Tom 5 AAs and Jack 3 (The AAs I have an issue with FWIW....Tom seen over favorably by the committee)

We love Jack but Hawkins has had an equally good career.
Jack by the length of the flemington straight.
Are we serious Jack was winning Coleman's in a side that was compared to Fitzroy..
Where was Hawkins in 2015 when Geelong didn't make the 8??

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeh, you have to accept he is very good at it but geez the swans were asleep to it. Hickey didn't position himself very well both times (perhaps Hawkins simply outsmarted him) and got caught watching Hawkins and not the ball.

Not sure Hawkins has the tap in mind when he presents at boundary throw ins. Think having a player sweating on the tackle is the obvious one.

The ruckman should be taking front position, they setup to move forward, they need to make him push them in the back not the side.

As much as I hate to admit it he does it well.

I seem to recall Nank has managed to nullify Hawkins' tactics at times. We all know what he is going to do, stopping him is another matter, you would need to have someone to tackle him and another to smother a tap or kick, which of course costs you in using 2 players to nullify 1.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Ultimately their best and most important players have been and are:

Hawkins - FS (was going No.1?)
Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - AFL best player at time? poached
Cameron - AFL top 5 player at time poached
This. The Hawkins freebie is massive. Just massive given his career, output and durability. When will he drop off?

Lynch was our freebie under FA and we also poached Prestia Caddy… and now it appears Taranto hopper.

Melbourne - draft concessions and/or being crap forever lead to petracca Oliver.

Bulldogs maybe the ones who have done it against all odds. Nothing jumping out to me in terms of FA although some solid father sons.

To win one of these things you need that sugar hit from somewhere. Draft unbelievably well for multiple years, father-son or have a FA want to come to your club etc. all while not losing talent and not getting caught / breaking salary cap rules

Banking early wins if you have older players and resting them so they can perform in finals also good. Cotchin was a revelation late season. So chimpy. Selwood good too for them. We learnt from ‘18 but never did bank those early wins in ‘19/‘20 and had to pull off massive win streaks to finish top 4.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
The woke gang on social media are tearing Geeelong a new one over the Mad Monday celebration. Some of the players turn up dressed as oldies with their zimmer frames. But people on social media are calling them out labeling it 'disgusting stunt' 'inappropriate' and 'disrespecting elderly people'.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
This. The Hawkins freebie is massive. Just massive given his career, output and durability. When will he drop off?

Lynch was our freebie under FA and we also poached Prestia Caddy… and now it appears Taranto hopper.

Melbourne - draft concessions and/or being crap forever lead to petracca Oliver.

Bulldogs maybe the ones who have done it against all odds. Nothing jumping out to me in terms of FA although some solid father sons.

To win one of these things you need that sugar hit from somewhere. Draft unbelievably well for multiple years, father-son or have a FA want to come to your club etc. all while not losing talent and not getting caught / breaking salary cap rules

Banking early wins if you have older players and resting them so they can perform in finals also good. Cotchin was a revelation late season. So chimpy. Selwood good too for them. We learnt from ‘18 but never did bank those early wins in ‘19/‘20 and had to pull off massive win streaks to finish top 4.

Yep, the freebie of Hawkins was huge. It should have been Hawkins OR Selwood, not Hawkins AND Selwood.

Similar to when they got Ablett for Pick 40, they took Bartel, Kelly and Johnson before Ablett. Using new rules around F/S and at least 1 of those wouldn't have been picked up.

The old F/S rules definitely favoured Geelong and enabled them to build a team that they wouldn't be able to these days.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
The woke gang on social media are tearing Geeelong a new one over the Mad Monday celebration. Some of the players turn up dressed as oldies with their zimmer frames. But people on social media are calling them out labeling it 'disgusting stunt' 'inappropriate' and 'disrespecting elderly people'.
Some people need to get a life. Not a fan of Geelong, but that's pretty funny.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Saw that coming as soon as I heard what they were doing for Mad Monday. Some people just look for reasons to be offended.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
BTW 77777, I don't think they're "woke", rather, they're just self opinionated dickheads with no sense of humour. Everything else though, (y)

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'd have Riewoldt well ahead first half of their careers and Hawkins ahead second half and gaining more every year. Line ball.

Cotchin v Selwood is another interesting one.

That may well be where a lot of the anti-Geelong feeling comes from, they are more like us than not.

Riewoldt for mine.

You are right that Hawkins edging Jack in pure KP forward in second half of thwir careers. However that came about due to Jack changing his game.

I would like to see the goal assist stats as well. I dont warch many Geelong games but expect Jack is higher on that stat

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
so they're just going as themselves ..... can't see why the 'woke' would be upset ..... ?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Riewoldt for mine.

You are right that Hawkins edging Jack in pure KP forward in second half of thwir careers. However that came about due to Jack changing his game.

I would like to see the goal assist stats as well. I dont warch many Geelong games but expect Jack is higher on that stat
Goal assists - career
Hawkins 243
Jack 215

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Perhaps so, but they are also the most successful team in the 21st century .
The truly great teams of the 21st century have gone back to back, or threepeat.

No Geelong side has had the mental fortitude to do that.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
No sense of humour...