Greg Miller interview | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greg Miller interview

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Source: The Fighting Tiger - Tony Greenberg.

How did the move to Richmond come about?
Clinton Casey and Mark Brayshaw approached me the friday after the GF out of the blue. I hadn't been thinking much about returning to the AFL...there were a few opportunities with the marketing company I was working with. But Clinton's confidence in me, in terms of the scope of the job, was certainly a factor. The role as Director of Football, overseeing the Football Department, gave me great scope to utilise my experience. Clinton also explained to me the lack of experience at the Club. It was the combination of Clinton's enthusiasm, the scope of the job and Danny Frawley, who I admire as a person, that contributed to my decision and I started on the following Tuesday.

Is there a set time-frame for your involvement here?
Not at all. It could be 5, 10, 15 years..who knows? But certainly I feel I've learnt a lot of things along the way over 25 years. Some of those ideas I think have stood the test of time in terms of success on-field and if I can pass on some of those messages, assist some of the younger people and develop some of the same feelings I was able to develop in the staff at the Kangaroos then I think I'll have made a difference.

What is your basic football philosophy?
It's just the quality of the people that you can gather around and your relationships with them. I think the players and the senior coaches are the most important people. The senior coach has to be given every opportunity to succeed. I believe in building the list, not breaking it down. I believe in a relationship with the players that they know we're doing everything possible to maximise their short time in footy. By that, I don't just mean financial - I mean the pride of playing in successful teams on an on-going basis, realtionships they're going to make that are going to be life-long relationships and, of course, investing their money in the right avenues to maximise their financial return. The behind-the-scenes people also must have a common cause or common philosophy in striving for that on-field success, which means that I will weed out selfish people. I want people here who love their involvement at the Richmond Football Club and want to have team success. So that will happen - it'll happen...

As an outsider looking in, what was your perception of the Richmond Football Club?
The on-field results have been most disappointing..most disappointing in that there's been no consistency of performances - other that consistently not making the finals! Wayne Campbell said to me when I first started, something along the lines of "you probably think the players have too much say here at Richmond". I said, "well, that's not something I actually thought". I probably think the atmosphere that's been created around this club doesn't lend itself - this is an outsider looking in - doesn't lend itself to good camaraderie - players, administration etc. The point is, it's been too stiff, too bureaucratic and not enough about people.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
How would you sum up your first few weeks at Tigerland?
I think we've done a bit, we're on our way..it's just not going to be an overnight thing. What we want to build here at Richmond is long-term, continued on-field success. Respect for ourselves and respect from the oppostiion and the Richmond members. So it's going to take a while, but in terms of changing the personnel, and in terms of getting people on board...I think the appointment of Wayne Brittain was sensational. He's a quality person, now working alongside a quality person like Danny. I think utilising David Wheadon's skills in an area that he probably is the best in the business at ( full-time opposition analyst), is a smart move and Greg Hutchison is going to be fine in the Football Manager's role - he's a quick learner. Hutchy's good. We're already building up a very good off-field team, but there's a lot of work to do...

What do you see as Richmond's main assets as a club?
The support base is a huge strength. At the Kangaroos, I was jealous of it. The Tigers have a fantastic, passionate supporter base, who are absolutely feverish for some sustained on-field success and some respect in the footy world and, with a bit of patience, we'll give it to them. We've got some natural ingredients...we've got some great players, no doubt about htat. We've got a coach in Danny Frawley, who has the outstanding ability to be a top-line coach. I don't believe a coach can coem in and know everything in the first few years. It takes them 3-5 years. He needs to have the full support around him, he needs to know he is secure in his job, and respected by all club personnel. I have a feeling from Clinton Casey and from the Board - and certainly from me - this is the caee with Danny Frawley.

What do you see as Danny Frawley's assets as a coach?
His moral fibre, his dedication to the tasks, he's a really hard worker..he's just got great character.

Realistically, how far away do you think Richmond is from a premiership or period of sustained success?
Look, I think with the list that weve got, and the ability these days with proper list management, you can make a difference in 2-3 years. But the difference is not being up one year and down the next. The difference is going to be when Richmond is able to get to the top and maintain its presence near the top by maintaining and growing its list all the time - not having it grow one year and dissipate the year after. So, list management, relationships with players, and players wanting to be at Richmond, is absolutely vital.

In the short term, what are yuor goals for 2003?
To have a united team and administration working together for on-feild success. I don't want to predict a spot on the ladder where we'll finish, I just want to know in the next 12 months we're going to create this united force of people around Richmond who are all going totally in one direction, and that we're got great respect for each other and are working well with each other.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
How do you think the Club fared in the trade and draft period?
Very well, but it would have been even better if it hadn't have been for Carlton's salary cap drama. We did very well, but suffice to say, with pick No. 2 (instead of No. 4 to use as trade bait) we could have done better.

What was the gist of your first talk to the Club's playing group?
I just told them it was going to take me time to earn my stripes with them - it'll be a gradual process. When I've earned their trust they'll know that I'm there for them, that I'm there to grow the Richmond Football Club list, to help them get the maximum out of their football, which is being regular finals players. I also said to them that my other aim is to have a 10-year coach here, which Richmond haven't had for a very long time.

How would you compare Richo to Carey, who you had a lot to do with during your time at the Kangaroos?
I don't know Matty at all yet as a person, but in terms of sheer football ability, I've seem him play some great games. Look, I don't want to compare them, all I want to say is Matthew Richardson is an absolute key ingredient for the Richmond Football Club because I've seen the effects an outstanding forward can have on a team. I feel already, in my short time here, that he's a leader around the place, that he's got a look in his eye that tells me he's hungry for success - I can see it - and I see the same look in Campo's eyes too, I can tell you...

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
I probably think the atmosphere that's been created around this club doesn't lend itself - this is an outsider looking in - doesn't lend itself to good camaraderie - players, administration etc. The point is, it's been too stiff, too bureaucratic and not enough about people.

Well they played most of season 2002 like robots going through the motions. No passion, no team play and apart from Rodan didn't look like they were having any fun at all even except for a few of the later games when they were winning.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Paul Gough from AFL.com wrote back when Greg Miller was appointed that this may mark the beginning of the tiges returning to being a genuine AFL power.

I was lucky enough to meet Greg Miller recently and from the quick chat we had he left me full of confidence that the club was headed in the right direction.

One of the benefits of having GM around will be to allow Danny to bounce any thoughts off Greg before he speaks anymore silly crap to the media.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
greg millers appointment is a sure sign that finally the club is getting very serious to which direction it is heading.a few years ago when danny was appointed along with wealdon and hutchison we finally got our football dept in order.i see millers and brittan,s appointment as icing on the cake.
there is absolutley no excuse,s from now on we have the correct setup off the field now it really is up to the players.

A

admin

Wayne Campbell said to me when I first started, something along the lines of "you probably think the players have too much say here at Richmond".

I wonder if that's Campbo's personal perception of things at the club if he made a statement like that?

This was discussed at our Chrissie dinner table, and the opinion of one of the club massuers is that Richmond has real behaviour and discipline problems and that there are a lot of "juveniles" at the club.
Only a personal opinion I spose, but interesting. Hopefully it's way off the mark.

I have nothing against Danny as coach, but I'm happy with the addition of Brittain and Miller to hopefully have the "balls" to take whatever action is needed to get team spirit and discipline back into the club.

Until we have that we won't get far.

Go Tiges......Premiership bound. ;D

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
I wonder if that's Campbo's personal perception of things at the club if he made a statement like that?

I would say it is/was more a media perception than Campo's personal opinion. Think it stems from Geishen's final year when there were rumours about senior players going to the Board and saying they wanted the coach to go.

Paying large sums of money to keep uncontracted players at the club could also give that perception.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
It may also have something to do with the number of coaches we have had over the years.

But agreed MT, the Gieschen situation would be a major contributor to that perception. The rumours at the time regarding Jeff's "resignation" were very interesting to say the least.