Greyhound threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greyhound threads [Merged]

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
antman said:
Horse racing has "wastage" too. The majority of racehorses bred will never race - and the majority of these are cut and eliminated and sold to "kill buyers". Around 3 out 10 race, the rest are surplus to requirements. Some of these are lucky and go on to equestrian sport owners or other domestic horse owners.

Thoroughbreds that suffer musculoskeletal injuries also are cut during the lifetime of the horse. These discards along with the young horses go to knackeries and are turned into dog food, or to the two horse abattoirs in Australia to be turned into meat for human consumption.

Don't kid yourself - the glamour of the Spring Racing carnival has a dark side. It all depends on whether you see animals as a resource to be exploited for human need or as sentient beings that humans have a responsibility to use in an ethical manner.

But those who support horse racing have a fair point - why do we turn a blind eye to cattle/sheep slaughtered systematically for meat and get upset about dogs and horses?

certainly not kidding myself. as i said i would be glad to see the end of horse racing and any other animal exploitation. i just havent seen any figures to show the extent of abuse in horse racing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
jb03 said:
Paywalled. Your old news.com trick doesn't seem to work any more.

We now have confirmation that Lee2Raines2Roach actually pays for a subscription for the Daily Telegraph.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
antman said:
We now have confirmation that Lee2Raines2Roach actually pays for a subscription for the Daily Telegraph.

Dunno, he is pretty astute at getting around paywalls.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
So what? I have a HUN subscription.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:

Googled the headline (article was posted on the HS website). If that doesn't work, flush Temp folder, repeat.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Googled the headline (article was posted on the HS website). If that doesn't work, flush Temp folder, repeat.

Done, thanks Lee

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Rowdy said:
Self governance in any industry is dodgy. I have read the report, I do find it hard to believe the numbers quoted in regards of live baiting, if it is as high as stated there should be a lot more people fronting court

The numbers are wrong.
They say its 13-14k dogs get put down per year in Australia.
It is actually 8000k
Still not good, NSW average 2000 of them, Vic 1500 per year and 4500 between the rest.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I adopted a greyhound from the Greyhound adoption program ( GAP) about 6 weeks ago, couldn't be happier with her or there program, fits in great with the family and the other dogs.GAP keep in contact to check if everything's going well or if there's anything extra they can do. The cost is $70 which includes collar, leads, rug and lots of reading material , dogs are also desexed, vet checked, wormed , basically everything's done all for the $70 donation. There are 100s of greyhounds of all ages and colours , I highly recommend looking at a GAP dog if your after a pet for any type of household.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Good to hear CC. They are such sweet gentle dogs. I intend to adopt one later on.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
rosy3 said:
Good to hear CC. They are such sweet gentle dogs. I intend to adopt one later on.
They certainly are Rosy, the GAP website will give you a great idea of the range of dogs available