Greyhound threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greyhound threads [Merged]

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Rowdy said:
Well I hope they look at show dogs next, the amount of inbreading is way over the top, and the pups without the perfect look, fair to say they end up the same as "slow greyhounds", at least Greyhounds, must report all breading before the actual breading unlike show dogs, breaders of show dogs chose if to register or not, how many ugly ones get registered???? No one knows how many litters of show dogs are bread each year as the only breed of dog required to register ALL litters are Greyhounds

Yup time to put the cross-hairs on dog breeding in general. Puppy farms. Harmful in-breeding. The "pet shop" industry needs a serious rocket up it if you ask me.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Bunnerz said:
duck shooting?
roo shooting?
fox shooting?
fishing?

ban them

Not sure those animals are bred specifically for shooting or fishing.

Said it many times. Remove the gambling aspect and the industry will clean itself up with only those who truley love the sport and animals will participate. Those that are only in it for the punt can bet on cockroach racing or something else.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Bunnerz said:
duck shooting?
roo shooting?
fox shooting?
fishing?

ban them

if hunting defenceless animals is okay because it's fun and you're so tough equipped with weapons, then hunting humans should be allowed.

Rowdy said:
And eating

Killing animals for food is different to killing for entertainment. And it should be done as humanely as possible.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No more medical research. You get sick, you die.

Why don't we perform all medical research on humans? Instead of experimenting on animals and having the 'cures' not work on humans because 'we're different', why not skip a step and ensure the cure works in the first place? You're one of those that doesn't like being treated the way you treat others, aren't you? Don't worry, you're in good company there. The vast majority of the human race is on your side and sleeps at night because you're too ignorant and self entitled to let the suffering of the innocent and defenceless bother you. Hope you get reincarnated as a lab rat in your next life.

Oh, and well done to the bull who got one back. :clap

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
Baloo said:
Not sure those animals are bred specifically for shooting or fishing.

Said it many times. Remove the gambling aspect and the industry will clean itself up with only those who truley love the sport and animals will participate. Those that are only in it for the punt can bet on cockroach racing or something else.

That would just send it underground, with no regulations. Look at *smile* fighting, nothing but a blood sport, iligal, but huge gambling by those that attend. Proper regulation and enforcement are the only outcome that will protect the dogs. NSW have said they can not regulate themselves, well withhold 50% of the money going to the industry and use it for inforcment by an agency outside of the industry

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Rowdy said:
That would just send it underground, with no regulations. Look at *smile* fighting, nothing but a blood sport, iligal, but huge gambling by those that attend. Proper regulation and enforcement are the only outcome that will protect the dogs. NSW have said they can not regulate themselves, well withhold 50% of the money going to the industry and use it for inforcment by an agency outside of the industry

It's easier to hide a *smile* fight arena, even dog fighting arenas, than a greyhound track. There would also be a lot less dogs being abused. It's really the only way to make sure true lovers of the sport and animals can continue their passion.

Or is it not a sport at all, but just another way to gamble?

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
Plenty of non- tab meetings, so I can not see how anyone can say it is "just about gambling"

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Rowdy said:
Plenty of non- tab meetings, so I can not see how anyone can say it is "just about gambling"

Plenty of lovers of the sport and animals. But it's the gambling which brings the abuse and corruption.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
90% of owner trainers I know, make a loss, travel 100's of Klm for a prize of a few hundred, and that is only if they win, the big guy that don't own dogs but train other peoples and race only on the city tracks for big prize money, well yes it is all about the $$$ to them, very few are gamblers as the prize money on the city tracks is very large and they are the ones that move out the dogs that are not good enough to win the big prize money. Take away the "Big prize money" and ensure all dogs run against dogs of equal ability would remove the incentive of just chasing the $$.

No dog is too slow if racing against others of equal ability

I have had 9 greyhounds, none have been put down ( apart from a 12 year old girl suffering from cancer), none won many races but have all lived out life as family pets, none where forced to run, and all loved it, even now if I take them near a track they try to drag me in to it.

Live baiting IS disgusting, no if's or but's about it.

Having said that I know plenty that has pointed out a dog kills a rabbit in about 10 seconds, yet the legal way of killing them is with mixo, takes about two weeks of slowly dieing, and they belive mixo is a lot less humane and I think they have a point but there should never be any live baiting

Biggest problem is the faster the dog the higher the grade of race they can run in and the higher the prize money. So by making prizemoney standard and dogs running against other dogs of equal ability removes the "need" to turn over "racing stock"

TAB gambling is pretty much the same on the "fast dog races" as the "slow dog races" the only thing that affects the amount gambled is what day and time of the race.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
Baloo said:
It's easier to hide a *smile* fight arena, even dog fighting arenas, than a greyhound track. There would also be a lot less dogs being abused. It's really the only way to make sure true lovers of the sport and animals can continue their passion.

Or is it not a sport at all, but just another way to gamble?

A paddock with a portable drag lure is all you need for a race, set up cost is about $200 and is portable

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
Why don't we perform all medical research on humans? Instead of experimenting on animals and having the 'cures' not work on humans because 'we're different', why not skip a step and ensure the cure works in the first place? You're one of those that doesn't like being treated the way you treat others, aren't you? Don't worry, you're in good company there. The vast majority of the human race is on your side and sleeps at night because you're too ignorant and self entitled to let the suffering of the innocent and defenceless bother you. Hope you get reincarnated as a lab rat in your next life.

I do my best not to use medication of any sort and only go to the doctor when I think I'm dying, so yeah, I do sleep well at night.

Anonymous people who claim to know you are the best. ::)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
And a nature lover. But people > animals.

Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?

That argument works for dog fights, bear baiting and teenage boys torturing cats too.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
antman said:
Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?

That argument works for dog fights, bear baiting and teenage boys torturing cats too.

You sound like a "do no harm" kind of person and that is fine, everyone has an opinion.

But look at all the electricity you are using being online, that's fun isn't it, hope you use a bike and not a car, look at all the fish BP killed, Better make sure that bike is made of bamboo, Iron ore kills animals, not to mention the smelters and the like killing the environment that will lead to mass extinction, but thats OK you like it on line don't you? So those animals don't matter, but you keep the moral high ground if that makes it easy for you to sleep.